Gun safes? What to look for?

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking at getting a gun safe fairly soon.  Our collection so far is all guns that have been given to us by our family members (dads, father in laws, and grandparents) and we would like to protect those the best we can from fire and theft.  So it's time.  :)

I've found a website that seems to talk about the nitty gritty of buying safes:  http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/

Seems like an honest site, but I wanted to get your guy's opinions, too.  I am looking to spend maybe around $2,000 for 24 guns or so, so nothing too big.  I'm looking for good fire ratings and thick steel more than anything.  What's the point of a safe if it doesn't protect, right?  :)

What are you guys using and why did you choose them?  Right now, I'm looking pretty hard at Sturdy Safe.  They're ugly, but very well regarded in protection as far as I can tell.

Also, if this is in the wrong place on the forum, please move it.  I went through the list a couple of times and didn't see anywhere else that it seemed like this subject fit better.

Brandon

Im using a liberty presidential -- which I inherited.   Those are kinda pricy these days; this one is probably from the early 80s.   Which brings up the point that a good one will last generations...   Its good for a decent fire and should at least slow a crook down.   It weighs too much to steal, they would need a helicopter to get it off my property, it was kinda fun getting it in (going downhill) ...  so they gotta get it open on site if they want my stuff.

That video was incredibly helpful!  Thanks for sharing, Runco.

Brandon

Glad I could help.  I wished I had seen this video 14 years ago.  I have a good safe, but I would have gone about my selection process just a little different.  I want to upgrade to a new safe due to capacity, and this video has helped me pinpoint what I now want. 

I would have focused more on forced entry deterrent.  The ease of a sawall and simple crowbar on the top or side is enough to convince my safe is not as safe as I once thought.  Newer materials are now available, more options.  I am not worried about the fire threat, or the removal of the safe threat, its the threat of someone using my own shop tools and simply cutting off the top of the safe or side to gain entry that bothers me.

• Like 1

Of course.  You need your security system to call the cops so their time to cut your safe open is limited. 

Besides, crooks still grab what is out in the open...  your PC, TV, phone, tools, whatever is still not going to be in your safe.  

Big point to consider is that you need to consider future acquisitions. When looking for mine, the dealer said that a lot of people returned for a bigger safe within a year. As mentioned above, the right one can be passed down for generations. That would be the case if it was big enough to be useful! Buying another soon down the road can possibly be more expensive than the right one now.
  • Like 1

Although it was far more than a year between my safe purchases, I can positively say the you should buy the largest you can comfortably afford now.

I guarantee that you will fill the first one and need a second.

I actually did this some 15 years ago.  Now full to capacity.

Although it was far more than a year between my safe purchases, I can positively say the you should buy the largest you can comfortably afford now.

I guarantee that you will fill the first one and need a second.

Gotta disagree.

I use my safe size to control my addiction   LOL.   I am at the point that if I want a rifle I need to sell one.  I need the restraint.

Still got room for a pistol or five.  That day will come.

Gotta disagree.

I use my safe size to control my addiction   LOL.  

Mike I use to think this way too, and actually thought this might be my addiction solution.............It has only tempered my addiction, created new ways to stack and organized better, but the penned up demand is building, building strongly.  My sons have one of those cheap cheap super thin sheetmetal safes for their BB guns and baseball cards, well I have considered using my imminent domain as their father to take over their safe as a temporary solution.   So far restraint is holding firm.

• Like 1

It seems to me they could use an upgrade... And when you hand your current safe down to them, you'll have a good reason to buy a larger one. :D

Brandon

Just look at you what a enabler. He is on the 12 step program we are supposed to support him D.T. McCall & Sons is having a sale and free delivery and set up in the 615 area code
  • Like 2

Out of curiosity, what would that be? Personally, I'm digging the Brownings with long gun storage on the door and good fire ratings for a decent price.

Brandon

I got one of the brownings from the safe house a couple years ago - forget the model name but it has spots in the door for scoped rifles. Great feature. I've been able to cram
Far more long guns in there than its rated for [emoji41]
  • Like 1

I 2nd the Safe House although I went to the one in east TN. 

The Safe House sells many brands including Ft. Knox but they actually encouraged me to go with a Browning because of the external hinges which are better in fires. Ft Knox recently did poorly on their fire test due to internal hinges.

Also, you definitely want to bolt your safe down in a room that's on the exterior of the house(if possible).