Alien gear , Galco, Crossbread, Safariland IWB

I'm lookin for a good IWB holster.
I have about decided to go with the alien gear 3.0.
But I am concerned that the pistol may wear into the metal interior plate?
Or the interior plate my rust after many days with sweat.

How concerned should I be with sweat soaking through the back side of leather?
Only thing I found local is Galco kinktuk and Bianchi. Both are full leather
Is leather that bad to absorb sweat and moister?
Stealth gear seems to make a great holster but it is priced up there.
I'd be will to pay a good price if I knew it was worth it, it fit me, and durable.

Or would a full kydex be the better choice?
Only one i found local is LAG Tactical.
Went back to try it and they were sold out.

As you can tell by now I'm new to carrying.
What little I have was OWB and in a universal holster.
It was uncomfortable as it pulled the pistol out and away from my body.

Does any one make a good OWB and IWB. I value your opinions greatly.
I just wish I could try before I buy. So far ordering online is about the only options.

Thanks. I want to make the best decision I can based on first hand experience. None of which I have yet.

Crossbreed offers a 2 week trial. If you don't like it, they'll buy it back. Plus you get a lifetime guarantee too, but it's about 50% more expensive.

If I were buying an Alien Gear IWB hybrid, I'd get the original Cloak tuck instead of the 2.0 or 3.0. I prefer the leather over the synthetic material, plus it's cheaper.

• Like 1

During my trek to find the IWB, I first stumbled into a heck of deal on Armslist of a Crossbreed, couldn't resist.  Bought it, tried it, and never had 2nd thoughts.  Now fast forward, since I have many flavors and desires in my ccw rotation, I ended up with around 7 or 8 of those Crossbreeds.  Its no fluke.  As Tony Tiger once said, they are GREAAAAT.

• Like 2
Carry guns and holsters are subject to a surprisingly large amount of sweat. Case in point I installed a larger magazine release button last week. I already noticed rust on the screw heads. As long as you are willing to maintain a leather holster I think it is a good option. It is a compromise, but still a good option.

I had a leather holster many many years ago. It was an OWB slide type. I don't use it anymore mostly because I don't have that gun anymore. After using a full kydex holster for three years now I am very happy and I would be surprised if I went back to leather. It is hard on the slide finish.
  • Like 1

There are a lot of factors that influence what type of holster is best for you.  I love my kydex IWB holsters because they are easy and convenient.  At work I am having to constantly take my gun off and then put it back on during the day because they are not allowed everywhere I go.  The simple kydex holsters are easy to take off and put on and provide protection for the gun when it is not on my body.  Also, I tend to carry around the 5 O'clock position, so they fit me perfectly.  However, if you are going to be wearing a holster all day without ever taking it off, one of the hybrid IWB with the leather might be more comfortable for you.  I have found though, that it is often what you get used to.  I am so accustomed to my kydex holsters now that I forget I have them on now.  I have ordered all of my kydex IWB holsters from a company called Concealment Express.  They have a website or can be purchased through Amazon.  Most of their holsters cost around $35 - $40.

• Like 1
I've got a crossbreed for my larger sw99 and an Alien gear for my smaller shield.

The gun has some to do with it, but I like the aliengear more, it seems much more comfortable. I have the 3.0. There should be no worry of the steel rusting, if I recall it's stainless spring steel.

The hybrid material is much more comfortable against my body is than the leather is.

You can't go wrong with either, but I currently favor the alien gear. Edited by blewbayou
  • Like 1

I only own one IWB currently. A Milt Sparks VM2 for my 3" M13. It fits like a glove compared to some cheaper holsters I had tried prior.

I recently picked up a CZ75 PCR to use to replace my M13 as edc and looked for awhile for a holster. I ended up going with Alien due the features/price and the turn around time. I don't have it in hand yet, but placed the order on the 8th and got the shipping notice yesterday, I expect to have it delivered in a couple of days. This will be my first "hybrid" holster. Fortunately they have a 30 day trial period. 

• Like 1

I think leather is King.

D.M. Bullard makes a “Dual Carry” than can be used either way. I have one and the quality is excellent. I just wish it had a thumb break.
http://store.dmbullardleather.com/catalog/category/5060221

IWB doesn’t need to be much: I would just go with something like the Galco Stow-N-Go.

OWB is more comfortable but needs a more substantial holster. D.M. Bullard, Don Hume, Galco, Desantis all make good ones.
I have this for a shield, it is well made and carries nice..
http://www.desantisholster.com/THUMB-BREAK-SCABBARD

For a minimal holster I have this for a full size M&P40...
http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_357_193&products_id=37

I have a Supertuck for a M&P 40C. I had to leave it in the car one day and it melted. Crossbreed told me to send it in to be repaired; they sent me a new one. They responded quickly and did all that could be ask of customer service. Too bad they don’t sell leather holsters; I would buy from them. biggrin.gif

• Like 2
Crossbreed offers a horse hide option. It's more sweat resistant than cow hide. Well worth the extra cost, and essential for Tennessee summers if you carry while working outside! I've used a Supertuck for several years now for EDC. Definitely my favorite. My wife ordered a Supertuck and gun belt from Crossbreed after she got her permit. The belt/IWB setup didn't work for her, and she sent the unused belt & holster back. They took them back, no questions asked.

Just FYI, top grain IS full grain leather.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not the case. Top grain has been sanded and fillers added to it. Full grain is as it was taken off the animal.
If heavy work was done to the top grain, it will eventually reveal itself. It doesn't tool or take dye as well and will eventually come to light.

That is not the case. Top grain has been sanded and fillers added to it. Full grain is as it was taken off the animal.
If heavy work was done to the top grain, it will eventually reveal itself. It doesn't tool or take dye as well and will eventually come to light.

Top grain is simply full grain finished to a higher level. It does not necessarily have fillers. That is all. Doesn't take dye well??? Is that why it's used on couches and chairs?.....

Trust me, it holds up just fine, despite what the CB market material may say. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by FTE

I am a leather worker and holster maker. In depth study of this contradicts it being done to a higher level. Please google the subject. It is not an opinion.

And I'm sure you're very good, but the products in my hands seem to contradict your opinion, fwiw.

Top grain is simply full grain finished to a higher level. It does not necessarily have fillers. That is all. Doesn't take dye well??? Is that why it's used on couches and chairs?.....

Trust me, it holds up just fine, despite what the CB market material may say. ;)

Refer to the bottom of the image. How much more info do you need when it comes to what is and isn't full grain? There are going to be different results in the long run. That is all. Full grain will serve better. If yours is good, imagine what full grain would be.

a00219b9ccb1c8ead8d77e6b2a6e9c55.jpg Edited by deafdogdief

As for your statement about this, I'd advise you once again to do your homework and not defer to whatever "CB" is. Check out the different types of tanning and leather prep. See what you can use with metal and what is used for clothing and furniture. Smooth leather on a couch and chair can be surfaced in a completely different method. Before you spout off your opinion you should be prepared to base it in fact....oh, and I'll put a cute emoticon in here so I can be as offensive as I like and it'll smooth everything over :)