Ozark Ordnance 300 BLK...anyone used this stuff??

So I cleaned out the cabinet, sold some extra rounds I had in mass quantity, and now I am searching for some 300 BLK that I can actually "run and gun" with and don't feel guilty taking my SBR and can to a class and blowing off a few thousand dollars worth of ammo.

JeffL told me about Ozark Ordnance...it's once fired (mostly LC) 556 brass that's made into 300. 1 thousand 147g is around $400, their subs are still around $.80 a round with Amax bullets.  But for classes and training I would be ok with 147, which is close to the price of my 556. I would feel a lot less guilty about that.

Anyone shot this stuff?? Any good? The website has great reviews but there aren't a lot of them. I have enough friends to fill a website with half a dozen decent reviews.

Before anyone starts, I have no intention of loading ammo. (I am not a "detail oriented individual" and I have the tendency to have a heavy pour of bourbon and think I can still do things like build cars, use a flame thrower, talk to my wife about ex girlfriends...and the list goes on. But I have a feeling I would eventually add putting gunpowder, brass, and projectiles together and weeks later be shocked that my $2,500 AR build exploded on the range).

EDIT: Yes, I was well aware that new 300 ammo was $1 a round when I started this build. This gun build plus the AAC SR7 suppressor has left me "fo-rich" as my wife calls it. It's like an Escalade with $5 in the tank and a million dollar mansion with no furniture.

Edited by WarPig

I've used and fired about 500 each of the 147gr Ozark without any issues.  500 thru my 16" rifle build, and 500 thru my pistol build.  I don't have a suppressor, but I dont' see any problems with the ammo. About 2-3" @ 100 1-2" @ 50 yards. (thru the rifle) sub 1" @ 25 yards with rifle and pistol.   Good reliable ammo for the range and practice.

Corrected per wrong distance and MOA information.  WarPig I hope you got the jist of my previous post on accuracy. 

Edited by sigrug17
  • Like 1
Not to crap on the thread, but just wanted to share the actual definition of MOA http://nssf.org/video/facts/MOA.cfm

Particularly:
1. Always think in increments of 1 MOA at whatever distance you are shooting.

For example, imagine you are shooting at 300 yards. You know that a MOA spreads out 1" per 100 yards, so 1 MOA at 300 yards is 3". Therefore, for your calculations at that 300 yard target, you should think in 3" increments. By doing so, you can easily see that 2 MOA is just 2 of those 3" increments, or 6" total. And likewise, 1/2 MOA is 1/2 of those 3" increments, or 1.5".

If you are having trouble determining the increments in your head and would rather have a formula, you can try this method. Divide the distance (in yards) you are shooting by 100 and you will know how big 1 MOA is in inches. For example, imagine you are now shooting at 250 yards. 250 / 100 = 2.5. So, 1 MOA at 250 yards is 2.5".

All of that to say, you listed 3 distances and 3 different MOA. In reality, you basically just said the same thing 3 times 2-3 MOA. At 100 yds that's 2-3" groups. At 50 yards that means groups of roughly 1-2 inches, and at 25 yards roughly 1" groups. The key to remember is that group size at a given distance does not necessarily mean MOA. That only correlates neatly at 100 yds.

Happy shootin'!
  • Like 2
Thanks musicman. I have had a half a dozen pros explain MOA....but every time they start talking i always hear the adults from Charlie Brown start talking and Lucy saying "good guns, shooter, and ammo=bad guy goes bye bye and bullets work like you kickin a football charlie brown...they fall."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Lol! No worries. 1 MOA is very technically not 1" at 100 yards, but for all intents and purposes (read: bubbas like me who never served, and will most likely never shoot anything other than a 6" round sticker at 200yds) 1" at 100yds suffices for 1 MOA, and you just extrapolate up and down from there based on yardage.

Best of luck with your hunt for inexpensive 300 BO... and all these flippin' threads are probably gunna have me building one sooner or later. :P