Colt Police Positive MkV...

creeky

I have always wanted a Colt Detective Special. So I was really thrilled when I was able to get a great deal on this Colt Police Positive MkV. In great shape, 4" barrel with full shroud... incredible trigger and great balance. Just really a joy to shoot.

My boys are ecstatic about it.  My 15 year old first comment was "The trigger... it feels so smooth!" Hahaha!!!

Really tickled I was able to finally get a nice colt to play with. :)

If you get a chance to to shoot one or better yet to own one don't pass up the chance. 

Thought you guys might enjoy the picture. 

11947474_10156037014560085_1640990938183

• Like 1
Have never seen that particular model. Beautiful style and it appears to have a very deep bluing! Nice!!!

I suspect recoil recovery is quick with that full under lug.

Do you know the year it was manufactured?

Thanks for posting it. Edited by Djay3

I remember when Colt brought that model out and was disapointed when it didn't really take off in sales. The original Colt PP was an increadibly popular firearm and very compact for its 4" and 6" barrel(s). IIRC it also had a 5" barrel but I can't recall reading how many of those saw the light of day. The Colt pictured is far different internally and externally to the original PP which modernized it but also gave it a heavy DA/SA trigger pull. The OP made a smart purchase of what's destined to be a very collectable firearm.

The serial number look up came back a range of "94-95".

When I dug deeper here is what I basically found out. In '93ish the die was cast and the decision made to stop revolver production and there were still a lot of "N-frames" and parts left that needed to be used up. They made 3" and 4" barreled versions of the detective special and marked them as Police Positive MkVs. 

The barrel crown also is recessed. Which I thought was pretty cool. Blueing is the very classic deep blue, almost black. Very minor wear.

And yes... with the 4" barrel and full shrouded ejector rod it has a great recoil recovery.

The only downside is it is making me want more older Colt revolvers now. :)

Edited by creeky
  • Like 3

Very nice! I've had an older Police Positive from the late 30's and it was still a shooter when I sold it back to the guy I bought it from 5 years or so ago. Really cool guns, but he missed it and I had acquired grandpas Official Police by then so whats a guy to do?

Those Colt wheel guns will get under your skin to be sure, the trigger pull is ridiculous and they are just a hoot to shoot. I doubt they could put out a stock gun with a SA trigger pull like that without the corporate lawyers just going monkey shit these days.