Sitting in the stand

I have been feeding the deer for a few weeks now.  

Don't have a game camera to see who's eating the corn.

Decided to sit in the stand for a couple hours last night to see what was going on.

I had 3 does and 3 bucks walk within 30 yards of the stand.   The bucks were small 4, small 5 and LARGE 8 pointers.

I also had 1 groundhog and 1 squirrel that were eating my corn.  I guess they need to get fat too.

No, I don't have pictures.  I forgot to take my camera/cell with me.  Maybe I'll go sit again tonight.

Anyone else just go out and sit prior to the season? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any hunter worth their salt will spend some time on stand prior to the season our at least know what the deer are doing where they hunt.  Trail cams are good for this, one place I hunt I have the luxury of driving by the field and seeing when the deer are feeding.  Nothing beats just spending time out in the woods though, which is a big part of hunting for me, I've had a hard time getting out there this year as I've been preoccupied with fishing every money that I can.

I have been feeding the deer for a few weeks now.  

Don't have a game camera to see who's eating the corn.

Decided to sit in the stand for a couple hours last night to see what was going on.

I had 3 does and 3 bucks walk within 30 yards of the stand.   The bucks were small 4, small 5 and LARGE 8 pointers.

I also had 1 groundhog and 1 squirrel that were eating my corn.  I guess they need to get fat too.

No, I don't have pictures.  I forgot to take my camera/cell with me.  Maybe I'll go sit again tonight.

Anyone else just go out and sit prior to the season? 

Just an FYI.  I hope you are already aware of something found under prohibited acts in the current TWRA regulations, item 5 in particular.

5.  No Person shall make use of bait to take

wildlife unless the bait has been removed and

any electronic feeder disabled at least 10 days

prior to hunting.

So if you want to be legal, make sure you cut off the well fare corn to the critters 10 days before climbing into your stand with a bow, crossbow or firearm.  Game wardens have a way of finding yellow brick (or corn) roads.

Rizzo

Just an FYI. I hope you are already aware of something found under prohibited acts in the current TWRA regulations, item 5 in particular.

5. No Person shall make use of bait to take
wildlife unless the bait has been removed and
any electronic feeder disabled at least 10 days
prior to hunting.

So if you want to be legal, make sure you cut off the well fare corn to the critters 10 days before climbing into your stand with a bow, crossbow or firearm. Game wardens have a way of finding yellow brick (or corn) roads.

Rizzo

It's yellow snow. Damn global warming messing up hunting for everyone.
  • Like 1