What is that smoke.... BBQ Question

ReeferMac

What is that delicious smelling wood used on all the smokers and BBQ places you see around here?

I'm a transplant from NY, and I've almost caused a few accidents driving by. The smoke is just devine! Would love to bring a few chunks of it back to a friend of mine who smoked quite a bit on the side. What is it and where can I get a bunch of it?

Thanks.

- Kevin

My guess is hickory as well but there are many good hardwoods to smoke with.  All in excess will ruin the meat.

Some good local places use nothing but charcoal and it tastes mighty fine....you just smell the meat cooking.

Edited by Garufa

Im from the Bronx and have done that, what part of NY are you from?!?! :o

Hey Comms!

WAAAAAAAYYYY past the Tappan Zee...:lol: Originaly from the Buffalo Area, did 4-years in SUNY Oswego, and spent the next 15 outside Rochester. Finally got tired of it. Wingnuts in Albany convinced me it was time to head for the good life. We moved to Kingston this summer.

- K

You can find it at Walmart or most anywhere that sells grilling supplies.  Of course it grows all over Tennessee, run some limbs through a wood chipper and you are good to go.

By the way, you want to soak it in water before putting it on the charcoal.

Edited by 10-Ring

Thanks 10 Ring! I've seen the bagged chips of it, was hoping to grab just some regular wood. My buddy's got a pretty big smoker he takes to competitions and does some catering with. He picks out his own wood for cooking, but you just can't get the good stuff like you have down here w/o knowing someone... Found a place in Knox advertising Hickory, Pecan, and Cherry!

- K

You might also try some natural lump charcoal. I have a Big Green Egg smoker and the BGE brand of charcoal is made by Royal Oak. It's all hardwoods, oak and hickory. You can purchase it online or at any Big Green Egg dealer. About $20 for a twenty pound bag. I've tried a lot of cheaper lump charcoals and found a lot of crap like nails and screws in the ash but never any problems out of the BGE brand. I've turned out some great BBQ tenderloin and shoulders. As soon as I fire it up my neighbors start coming out of the woodwork. You can't beat the flavor and it's easy to transport.

Edited by jdredmond
  • Like 1

Next time you pass a really good smelling BBQ place, swing in and ask them what they use. It will be a perfect excuse to grab a box of takeout ribs!

LOL! I DID try that, guy said he wasn't giving his secret to no YANKEE!!! :lol:

(the rib's were delicious, tho!)

I'll see if I can find Academy Musicman.

Thanks JD, I've seen a few of the egg's up north, but my buddy's smoker is about 50 cu. feet, I'm not buying bags for that beast! LOL!

- K

My smoker is very simple... it's one of the cheap Brinkman smoker grills.  With a couple simple modifications, it works quite well.  I also use lump charcoal.... big brown bag, Cowboy brand I think.  It burns noticeably hotter and lasts longer than traditional (Kingsford) briquettes.  Whatever you do, don't use the "match light" charcoal unless you like food that smells like kerosene.  :yuck:

I soak fist sized hunks of wood in water for a day or two prior to cooking and put them on the coals for the smoke.  I've used pecan, apple, hickory, cherry, poplar, maple, ....   So far, pecan is my favorite wood to use because it soaks up water quite well and hence lasts longer before burning up.  Cherry is my least favorite for the same reason... it's so dense it doesn't soak up much water at all and tends to burn instead of smoldering.  I've never been able to tell much difference in flavor from one wood to another. 

Edited by peejman

I practically grew up on my Grandfathers Farm/Ranch in Cheatham County and we had whole hog Bar-B-Ques for family gatherings every summer 3 times. Beginning on Memorial Day and ending on Labor Day and my Grandfather was very particular about his wood. It was 70% Hickory and 30% oak and we would cook an entire hog for about 20 to 24 hours on an open pit using nothing except hot ash chips from a large fire burning about 20 feet from the hog. Family men tended the fire and shoveled hot coals under the hog all during cooking process. it did take about 24 hours to cook a 175 to 200 lbs hog that way but it was a wonderful experience and I got to hear some great stories from the elders of the family as they sat around the fire. My Grandmother made the Bar B Q sauce that was mopped on the hog about 10 or 12 times during cooking. 

I sure do miss those days of family gatherings. It seems as the elders of the family began dying off their traditions died off with them. My family has spread to the four winds and no longer gather except to bury someone and only then do many folks find out that the family is getting smaller...............I still have my memories and they do come to me when I also drive by a BBQ pit during cooking hours............Just an old mans memories is all................. :up: Oh yea forgot to mention the quart fruit jar that was always being passed around while the stories were going on. I don't think any of them would have been complete without that fruit jar....... :rofl: 

• Like 1