Saw a State Trooper helping a motorist on I40 Good show.

vontar

Driving back form Nashville today on I40 just west of Cookville, I saw something I haven't seen in a long time. 

I saw a State trooper on the side of the road with his lights on.  After I moved to the left lane, I saw it didn't appear to be a traffic stop but more of offering assistance.

Hopefully this is more common then my impression, but I saw a state trooper on the side of the road giving assistance to another motorist.

I saw the Hoods of both cars up and what appeared to be a heavy gauge booster cables running between the 2 vehicles.

Even though It wasn't, it could have just has easily been my wife or myself.

So I just want to say thinks to the State Trooper just in case he/she happens to be a member here.

• Like 4
It's great that happened, however the reason that many do not help anymore isn't because they don't have a heart, but because of liability. People want to sue for anything now, looking for a payday. "Helping" someone now could very well mean loss of a job and costing their dept thousands or millions in lawsuits. If you try to pull someone out of a ditch and something on their car breaks, you get sued. If anything happens on their cars electrical system after he jumped them off, likely to be sued.

My cousin(civilian non LEO) stopped to help someone on the side of the road, they pulled a gun on him, he threw his hands up in a natural reflex reaction ( like to stop it) and they shot him in the hand and drove off. He now has no use in that hand.

Like I said, it's a risk stopping to help someone any more unless you happened to know them.
  • Like 2

I'm 42 years old, and one time in my life, I saw an officer helping someone. He was helping an older lady change a flat tire. I wish I'd have stopped to help, get his name, and brag on him to his supervisor. For all I know, it could have been his mother, but I was impressed by him.

This happens more than you know. I drive a lot going from one customer to the next, all over middle TN.

I have seen the local police and THP helping every week. We know most LEO are good guys and gals,

just wish the public could see this.

Had a talk with my boss at my yearly eval about the good and bad.

We do not see the good because it is expected, so when the bad is seen it stands out like a sore thumb.

I had an Metro Nashville LEO stop and help me when I blew a radiator hose on McGavock Pike one morning. Couldn't get the bad hose clamp to work and lost a lot of coolant. He took the time to drive me to a nearby auto parts place, wait for them to open (early AM) and drive me back to my car. He didn;t have to do that, he could have just as easily called a tow truck. He wasn't on patrol as he was on the way to practice exiting a helicopter on a rope. I have the utmost respect for our police force. You might have a bad apple sometimes, but most are great people doing a tough job with little thanks. What kind of society would we be without them,

• Like 4

I had an Metro Nashville LEO stop and help me when I blew a radiator hose on McGavock Pike one morning. Couldn't get the bad hose clamp to work and lost a lot of coolant. He took the time to drive me to a nearby auto parts place, wait for them to open (early AM) and drive me back to my car. He didn;t have to do that, he could have just as easily called a tow truck. He wasn't on patrol as he was on the way to practice exiting a helicopter on a rope. I have the utmost respect for our police force. You might have a bad apple sometimes, but most are great people doing a tough job with little thanks. What kind of society would we be without them,

I do not want to even think about how bad it would be.