Shocked at what I saw at DL station

I was with my wife today at the Drivers License station where she was applying for her permit and lo and behold in comes this woman with an OWB holster, a TN HCP badge, and on the other side of her belt was a small holster for pepper spray. She had taken her gun out, but came in with everything else. She was standing up, turning around so everyone could see her.

She pulled up in an old police cruiser she had bought from an auction it looked like.... you could still see where the old decals used to be, and she had bought a light bar and placed it on top. She apparently was running a locksmith business of some sort as on the side she had painted "Lock Out Service". 

We had already been there for over 2 hours, so I was actually disappointed when we had to leave cause I wanted to see what would happen when she went up to someone at the counter with that thing on. She looked silly, and I was surprised she hadn't been spotted by someone before now. I know how I feel and most other responsible people feel about the badges, but I was disappointed we had to leave before she got called up there.

Aren't the people at the DL station officers? I know they don't carry weapons or anything, but  wouldn't they have said something to her?  Its been awhile since I had to go in but the last time I did there were Troopers in and out of there all the time.

Just curious. Not trying to get a badge discussion going. Just shocked at the stupidity of some people. 

• Like 1

Should have discretely snapped a cell phone pic. 

I got 2 pics.... one of her standing sideways to me and one of her by her pimp mobile. Wasn't sure if it was okay to post them. In the one of her standing, you can just barely see the badge. I wanted to take a better one but she kept turning around so everyone could see her, and the place was packed.

Said something to her about her empty holster?  Sounds like the woman was completely decked out in her mall ninja uniform.  Ridiculous?  Yes, but still not illegal.  To my knowledge  DMV employees are not peace officers.

if one wanted to push it, depending on what she really looks like,  it could be "impersonating an officer".  

The examiners are non sworn personnel of the Department of Safety. Just wearing a badge isn't going to be illegal it would take an act that makes people believe she is a LEO or she does something reserved to a LEO. Sounds like a clown and probably does it to make people think she is the police because she is scared of her own shadow. Makes no sense to me. When I'm off duty I don't want a single person to know what I do.
  • Like 1

The examiners are non sworn personnel of the Department of Safety. Just wearing a badge isn't going to be illegal it would take an act that makes people believe she is a LEO or she does something reserved to a LEO. ...

39-16-301.  Criminal impersonation.

(a) A person commits criminal impersonation who, with intent to injure or defraud another person:

(1) Assumes a false identity;

(2) Pretends to be a representative of some person or organization;

(3) Pretends to be an officer or employee of the government; or

(4) Pretends to have a disability.

( b ) A person commits criminal impersonation who pretends to be a law enforcement officer for the purpose of:

(1) Engaging in an activity that is ordinarily and customarily an activity established by law as a law enforcement activity; and

(2) Causing another to believe that the person is a law enforcement officer.

( c )  (1) Criminal impersonation under subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor. However, if the criminal impersonation was committed to falsely obtain a driver license or photo identification license, the maximum fine of five hundred dollars ($500) shall be imposed. If any person commits the offense of criminal impersonation under subsection (a) while pretending to be a firefighter, medical fire responder, paramedic, emergency medical technician or any other first responder and while operating a motor vehicle pursuant to § 55-9-201(d), § 55-9-402(g) or § 55-9-414(f), then the offense is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) Criminal impersonation under subsection ( b ) is a Class A misdemeanor. However, if any person commits criminal impersonation of a law enforcement officer under subsection ( b ) while operating a motor vehicle pursuant to § 55-9-201(d), § 55-9-402(g) or 55-9-414(f), then the maximum fine for the offense shall be five thousand dollars ($5,000).

Edited by Oh Shoot

The examiners are non sworn personnel of the Department of Safety. Just wearing a badge isn't going to be illegal it would take an act that makes people believe she is a LEO or she does something reserved to a LEO. Sounds like a clown and probably does it to make people think she is the police because she is scared of her own shadow. Makes no sense to me. When I'm off duty I don't want a single person to know what I do.

So if an officer were to see her somewhere he would not have the grounds to charge her with anything, just by wearing it? 

Looks like the one in Clarksville? I've never experienced wait times like the ones here. I've been there a few times and always end up waiting three hours, and the place is filled beyond capacity.

I used to drive by here each day on the way to work. A long line is normally formed at least an hour before it opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what was going on here.......I wasn't there. 

Why didn't you just ask her? talk to her?

As to the getup.......possibly she does contract security for a mall or convention center or large corp complex or...........

As to OC.....I did last night, went out to dinner in another town and stopped for gas etc.....sometimes I just don't care what others think.....well........most of the time, OK, all the time.

It's not the OC, it's the HCP badge. No security place will have their employees wear a HCP badge. It's just a bad idea no matter what. Add the car to the equation, and it seems like a rent a cop with a gun.

Criminal impersonation requires intent; there is none here. I wouldn't think that was a cop car, and I don't think most others would either, especially when they read what it says on the side. The badge is an HCP badge; nothing illegal there (bad taste isn't illegal). I don't think of a lockout service as a "Security place", but she may be the owner, who knows. I would think a cop (on duty or off) would be the least to be confused with what we see here.

Criminal impersonation requires intent; there is none here. I wouldn't think that was a cop car, and I don't think most others would either, especially when they read what it says on the side. The badge is an HCP badge; nothing illegal there (bad taste isn't illegal). I don't think of a lockout service as a "Security place", but she may be the owner, who knows. I would think a cop (on duty or off) would be the least to be confused with what we see here.

This is what I thought. 

The green light bar....or yellow......it to get attention. 

Also, no confusion as to whether or not she was breaking into a vehicle or if she was opening it for an owner.......10pm in a dark parking lot. 

Poor taste? possibly. 

The art of communication is LOST. People do not talk to each other anymore. 

I'm thoroughly unimpressed by 99.99999% of all people, no matter who they are, and have no problem talking to people. 

OP should have just walked up and started talking to her....asked her what she does.

The light bar is probably for safety. People lock themselves out of their cars in some crazy places. If she's popping the lock at night, some bright yellow beacons could help her from getting run over while doing her job. To be fair, putting one on a white Impala with black wheels does smack a bit of trying to llok like a police cruiser, but plenty of security companies do the same thing. It's not against any law.

Still, she needs to step up her game. Badges are so last decade. Now it's all abouth the sash. Bonus for her, the edging and lettering are reflective, so extra safety at night.

2503d1377666165-drop-gun-i-said-drop-bam

My favorite part of that picture is that the guy is wearing a Brownell's Law Enforcement shirt. Doh!

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2