Mike at LawEnforcementSalesTN, Look what you've started!

Hey guys. I wanted to say thanks again to Mike D. aka LawEnforcementSalesTN. A while back he offered a great flight simulator setup for fee in the Trading Post. I took him up on his generous offer and my now 15 year old daughter is 6 flight hours into her private pilot license! I just wanted to share this. I know I haven't been very active lately. I have been pretty busy and mostly too broke to shoot much lately. Here is one of the many reasons why. A pic of her very first lesson's preflight inspection:

Kendra%20Preflight_zpsajggdu1d.jpg

Thanks Mike!

-southernasylum

• Like 9

If you think guns are expensive try anything involving flying. I'm sure Southern can attest to that fact first hand. Just out of curiosity, what does an hour of time go for, in the C172?

Price wet is 140/hr. Instructor cost is separate. They give me a break on the tax since I pay cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend's daughter has started taking flying lessons as well.  She got some sort of screaming deal through her high school ROTC.  I'd love to do it myself, but I just can't justify the cost.  People who think motorcycle parts are expensive should take a look at airplane parts.

Ahh, brings back memories of the the good old days.  Like before a wife and children.  I could do anything anytime if I wanted to.  I made a landing or two at Mike Romeo Charlie (MRC, 3 letter identifier Maury County Airport.  I earned my certificate in 1988,  Av Gas was under $2.00 / gal. and a Cessna 152 was $40.00/hr. and a Piper Cherokee was $52.00/hr., both were wet meaning including fuel.  Somewhere around 1989 I bought a 1967 Cessna 172.  I thought I was big time when I purchased a used Northstar Loran ( state of the art form of GPS that triangulated position by radio signals designed during WW II for Naval ships crossing the Atlantic).  I married in 1992 and figured it was time to sell the Cessna. I made a decent profit in the short time I owned it.  A quick search shows these are selling for $30 - $35k now.  That's more than double what gave initially gave for mine.

Back then there was a thing called a $100.00 hamburger,  when you had nothing better to do so some fellow aviators picked a place that was within a non-stop for fuel flight,  fly there go to lunch and return home only to have spent $100.00 or more.  I guess these days it would be closer to $300.00 plus hamburger.  Best wishes that she earns her certificate.  She will have memories that will never fade and maybe inspire her to make a career out of it. 

• Like 2

If you think guns are expensive try anything involving flying. I'm sure Southern can attest to that fact first hand. Just out of curiosity, what does an hour of time go for, in the C172?

OHHH NOOO! My wife can't wait for Halloween so she won't get shot down.

I guess I'll show my age. After high school around 1976, I began working as a lineman/refueler at a private airport in Florida. Part of the perks were the ability to rent a well worn C150 for $14.00 an hour wet, instructor was an additional $10.00 per hour. Got up to around 30 hours and quit. I didn't want to fly for a living and realized I couldn't afford it as a hobby.