F-Class - FT/R at ORSA?

Hello to my fellow firearm enthusiasts. I want to get into competitive high power rifle shooting. I'm particularly interested in shooting F-Class and I figure FT/R is a good place to start since I have (2) .223 Rem and (1) .308 rifle. For anyone who has competed in FT/R, does .308 dominate mid-range or does .223 stand a decent chance of beating .308 between 300-600 yards? I know at the end of the day it comes down to shooter abilities and quality ammunition, but what are the trends right now?

I'm hoping someone here in east Tennessee is familiar with the high power club at Oak Ridge Shooting Range. What type of competitions are held there? When? Rifles used?

Thank you for any insight any of you can provide for FT/R mid-range and long range competition. It's much appreciated.

I shoot FT/R at the Tullahoma rnage (AEDC) with an AR in .223 Wlyde for mid-range matches (600 yards).  I have a ton of .223/5.56 data from shooting service rifle at the 600 yard line, so that is one of the main reasons I went with that round for mid-range.  Also, sometimes I get a wild-hair and drop the bi-pod and sling-in to shoot prone.

However, for FT/R the 1000 yard matches are indeed dominated by the .308.  There are some folks shooting the heavy .223-.224 Berger 80-90g Match VLD bullets at 1000 yards, but from what I have seen, out of bolt guns.

Here is a link to the ORSA website.  Its an outstanding range complex.  Contact them for F-Class info.

http://www.orsaonline.org/index.asp

Thank you, DMark. I'll definitely give them a call to inquire about the types of matches they shoot there.

Is your .223 competitive for mid-range F-T/R or is it more of a "I'm just shooting for fun, not to win" type of thing?

I do have a varmint AR-15 which I've shot at paper at 200 yards. With 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets, I shot a 5-shot 1" group at 200 yards to make 0.5 MOA. Plinking at every yard line up to 600 and I'm on the money using a 12x Nikon BDC 600. If this rifle has anything hindering it, it's the fact that it's a 20" barrel rather than 26-30" and of course it's a semi-automatic rather than a bolt-action.

My .308 is a Savage 11. It's a shooter, but it has a thin-contour hunting profile factory barrel. I have hit 4 out of 5 shots at 1,000 yards before with Sierra Match Kings, as long as adjusted 0.1 Mil down between each shot.

In your experience, does this type of shooting compete, or is it more of just having a fun time coming out and shooting? If so, I definitely have a good action for building a midrange FTR rifle.

Thanks again.

Hello to my fellow firearm enthusiasts. I want to get into competitive high power rifle shooting. I'm particularly interested in shooting F-Class and I figure FT/R is a good place to start since I have (2) .223 Rem and (1) .308 rifle. For anyone who has competed in FT/R, does .308 dominate mid-range or does .223 stand a decent chance of beating .308 between 300-600 yards? I know at the end of the day it comes down to shooter abilities and quality ammunition, but what are the trends right now?

I'm hoping someone here in east Tennessee is familiar with the high power club at Oak Ridge Shooting Range. What type of competitions are held there? When? Rifles used?

Thank you for any insight any of you can provide for FT/R mid-range and long range competition. It's much appreciated.

I shot high power across the course for about 12 plus years.  I got in about the time everyone was starting to change over to the black rifle.  The M14's dominated the sport up until then but faster twist barrels barrels and high BC heavy .224 bullets were giving the .308 guys some unwanted competition.  You will find a few old schoolers still shooting the M14, M1A's and Garands but the AR's are the way to go if you are shooting short to mid-range.  In distance shooting 600 yards in considered mid range.  Then came along F Class,  many of the older shooters that were not up to shooting standing and sitting decided we'll create something where all we have to do is shoot slow fire prone and make it a challenge we'll only shoot at 1000 yards.  Somewhere about 10 or so years ago there were way too many perfect 200 - 20X scores so they tightened up the scoring rings.  Some reduced courses do exist due to range limitations aiming black and scoring rings are adjusted for MOA.

Just for fun I've shot my AR out to 1000 yards and kept them in the scoring rings and like most rifles the gun can out perform the operator more times than not.  I'm not going to get into wind calling and mirage, you'll figure all that stuff out if you stick with it.

Now having said all that I would not attempt F Class without a bolt gun.  You can be competitive with a .223/5.56, that is if you are will to spend a lot of time load testing and practicing.  You said you have a .308, if it's a bolt gun that's what I would recommend but you should still do some load testing if you want to be competitive.  Long distance shooters tend to be some of the most anal OCD types I've ever been around.  Not saying that in a degrading way to them or anyone else of that nature but that's the way they lean and you have to be to some extent if you plan to keep shots in the X ring at this distance.

I guarantee that if you show up for a match and make it know it's all new to you, they will do everything to accommodate you.  While I was shooting we had people show up occasionally and said they just wanted to watch.  Well before you knew it we would scrounge up enough equipment and they would be shooting on the next relay. 

Edited by MP5Rizzo
  • Like 1