Got my card, going shopping!

ReeferMac

I got my card in the mail today! Gawd, I think it was 10-12 days after I filled out the forms? Would have taken 9-12 months in NY, and I might not have even gotten it! Crazy... Wifey's all over this, she wants a compact .380, I think I'd prefer a 9 for-carry, and she wants to get a little .22 so the kids can come to the range w/ us, WTF! :love:

I was looking at the Walther's, as they have a range of .380's and 9mm to pick from, are reputable, quality manuf., etc., however I don't know of any ranges/store's around here that have 'em to rent? The one by me offers a try-before-you-buy, but it's only a few rounds, and frankly, I'd want to just go down-the-line and try half their inventory, LOL! I Don't even know if they have any Walthers? I'm starting to see why owning a 'collection' of handgun's is essential! Try someone's piece out on the range one day and you've just got to go get one! 

I 'spose that's how swinger's get started?

I like the Bodyguard .380 S&W makes, that's a slick looking gun, and I can try out the M&P regular-size at my local store's range.. their compact-for-carry looks nice. But man, the Ruger's are pretty slick, too, damn. :wall:

I'm not going to be able to pick just one, I know it... Now I'm going to need a gun safe, too!

- K

• Like 8

I 'spose that's how swinger's get started?

:rofl:

There's a lot of good 380s and small 9s out there now. I generally search youtube for Hickok45 videos for comparisons and good reviews. He has some good ones on the Ruger LC9s and LCP, Kahr PM9 and CW 380, Glock43 and glock42, and many more. Probably the Walthers too. Of course finding a place to rent or try them out is a great idea. Good luck. Have fun.

Isn't freedom a nice thing after being locked down for so long? Try not to burn out to quickly on your new found freedom. Savor,enjoy,shoot lots and laugh!

Very good advice actually. I went a little crazy when I got here and started racking up guns like no tomorrow. I haven't bought a new one all this year (I think?) and STILL have some I haven't got around to shooting yet. Too much of a good thing... Is still a good thing :D

• Like 1

Not sure if you realized that you you don't need your carry permit to shoot, or even buy, a handgun here. But good on ya for getting it.

Not sure if you are aware but you do not have to have a HCP to purchase or carry a handgun in your vehicle now. Yu do need one if you are carrying one on your person outside of a vehicle.

My first thoughts when I read the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you realized that you you don't need your carry permit to shoot, or even buy, a handgun here.  But good on ya for getting it.

Thanks guys, I actually didn't know the finer points to handgun laws here in TN until I took the class! LOL! That being said, having come from the nanny-state NY, where I was also planning on getting my permit for the same reasons, it's as much about exercising my rights (while I still can!) as anything else. I do not like the way the world's turning these days (one of the things that prompted the move to TN), and can think of more than a few times when I wish I had been carrying, and since the wife is behind the decision for the same reasons... We'll do it all by the book, and that way they can't take 'em away from me! I'd like to get some more training on things, especially for the missus, but it's good all around regardless. There's quite a bit about threat mitigation and situational awareness that I've learned just by reading, but my wife's not wired that way. I think a few tactics and training classes will go a long way.

The Oak Ridge Sportsman's club cashed my check this week, so hopefully I'll have membership information on that soon, and can take the shotgun out again! They've got pistol-ranges as well, so I figured it would be a good investment!

LOL!, Was just re-reading the quote above, most of you probably don't realize, but you can't even buy handgun ammunition in NY, unless you have that caliber pistol listed on your permit... So if a friend wanted you to pick up a box of something-something for his gun you were going to try out when you met him at the range, the store couldn't sell it to you! He would have to be present w/ his permit showing that gun on his permit.

That's no Bull... It's F'ing crazy up there.

- K

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Like 1

if you are new to hand guns, let me point out that the trigger matters.    For example the sig p238 has a light, short trigger that is very easy to use while a lot of the other small 380s are kel tec clones and that design involves pulling a 10 pound spring over the better part of an inch every single shot.  Some of the walther and bersa etc guns are Da/sa which has a long hard to do first shot and easy follow up shots, not quite a hybrid of the first two ideas.    I love my sig p238 (and carry the 9mm version that came out later).   Heavy triggers are more difficult to shoot quickly and accurately,  so be aware.  Lighter triggers require a manual safety, and if you hate that,  its another issue.   The Da/SA tend to have a safety and you can choose to use it or not.   Its all preference (I like the easy triggers, clearly)  but be aware of it ... trigger pull is one of the more overlooked things by new buyers and its critical when choosing a small carry gun.

You are doing the right things, getting opinions and trying stuff out.  Take your time.   Selling a slightly used gun that didn't work out for you is a loss of 10-20% of your money every time.   We've all been there, and we will all probably do it again,  but it helps when you can minimize this expense.

• Like 1

Good grief.......Welcome to the free state of Tennessee, my friend. 

LOL! Thank you Sir. Once we decided to pack up and move south, I was able to narrow things down quickly, and there were 2 candidates that stood out, both happened to start with a "T"... But one had too many illegals for my taste! :lol:

- K

if you are new to hand guns, let me point out that the trigger matters.   

Thanks Jonin, yes, I'm very hesitant to 'pull the trigger' and buy anything. So far I am noticing various qualities to different guns that I like, and the local store's staff here is pretty good (I liked the trigger on the Ruger, but the LCP felt too small... Here, try this Springfield!) Frankly, I haven't found one I really like just yet.

There's quite a few competing demands I'm trying to balance out... and maybe I'm placing importance on factors that I shouldn't be?

My wife and I are both going to acquire personal carry pieces, and I'm trying to keep them from the same manuf.... thinking ease of parts/tools, cleaning, accessories, etc., will be improved (*but by all means, correct me if that assumption is false*) It's not a given, I may go w/ a Springfield 9 while she gets a Ruger .380... but I like the M&P line also, and the Bodyguard model would fit her needs... and I do like the single-stack M&P Compact? :lol: I liked the Springfields I've tried, but she said she doesn't like the 9's, too much for her.

I want(ed) to stay in the same caliber as my wife, so that we can buy bulk, reload, etc., cheaper and more easily. Again, please correct me if that assumption is off target. That being said, I agree w/ the above statement about a common police/military caliber (Jonin, you were in on that rifle discussion...), and may decide to carry a 9 for myself. I doubt I'll explore the larger sizes, 9's got more than enough BANG for me.

IMO - and I raise my hand and admit I'm a newbie here - I think quality ammo in .380 is capable of ruining some perp's day, and I can play w/ it all day long at the range. I can find a variety of small guns that conceal easily and are quality instruments that will go bang when someone pulls the trigger. I've been able to narrow things down fairly well, and am trying to find sample guns to try (even dry-firing @ the showroom tells you a lot - especially the trigger!). I was kinda disappointed a week ago, talking w/ another fellow who was @ the range trying out his brandy-new LCP, mentioned my wife was thinking of buying one but wanted to try it first (pointed, mentioned that she was in the next stall over w/ the Glock42). He said he wasn't very pleased w/ it, but it was his first time out, packed up his stuff, and walked away... D'oh! Was hoping he'd offer my wife a few rounds, dang! Is it rude to come right out and ask "Hey, can I take a few shots w/ your gun?", I don't know proper range etiquette? Is that like asking to dance w/ someone's wife? :lol:

Waiting for membership papers from the local outdoor's man's club. Hoping if I spend some time prowling the pistol range, I'll get to try a few other makes and models, and can make a more informed decision. Wifey's itching to get something, anything... but she understands a 400-dollar mistake isn't in our best interest right now. So far the Ruger is the only one she's really liked, but we haven't fired it (not avail. for rent, only 6 rnds of try-before-buy), but I think the .380 Bodyguard from S&W would appeal to her too (also avail try-before-buy), and then I would be looking at the M&P line for my own, likely the compact-9. However I'm not going to force myself into a particular pistol if I don't like it... I'm a lot more flexible than she is, so trying to accommodate her needs first.

'Course the way things have been going, SHE'LL be the one itching for a 'collection'. Gawd, I'm so glad I married her sometimes!

- K

• Like 1
Just so you know, the M&P compact is not a single stack; the Shield is a single stack.

Of course a .380 could ruin someone’s day; so could a .22. (.22’s have killed plenty of people) and if that is your goal you would accomplish it. My goal is something different. If I have to shoot someone it will probably be because they are threatening me with a weapon. I was trained to “stop the threat, make them unable or unwilling to fire their weapon at you.” I had a victim pull a .380 out of his stomach and hand it to me. He had been shot and was unphased; he tried to run the shooter down, but the shooter got away. (We picked him up a few minutes later). That’s not the only experience I have with .380, but it makes the point. 380 is worthless. As far as cost, does it cost much less than 9mm or 40 right now? The 9mm is a creme puff round as far as recoil I highly doubt your wife would have any trouble with it.

My philosophy on guns is that I don’t become attached to them, they come and go. Try a bunch and don’t think you are making a $400 mistake. As long as you take care of them you can sell them for close or sometimes the same as what you paid. You will see plenty of guns in the classifieds that are at or above new price; people apparently buy them. That’s just my opinion but it’s allowed me to go through hundreds of guns over the years.
  • Like 1

My advise for you----- FWIW........

My first handgun was a 380, thirty years ago, and my last 380. I agree with DaveTN, worthless and much more expensive to shoot. 

Criteria for my current carry gun- full sized, 9mm, 20rnds, dependable, and not carried by the Herd, and reasonably priced. I chose the CZ P09.

You will not make a $400 mistake, maybe a $100 mistake, if you want to call it a mistake, but it won't be. What you choose now may not be what you want a year from now......it's called experience. Sell it and move on. 

You came from a S---hole, sorry, but that's what it is. Leave that mentality behind, you will, in time. Find a buddy with a couple of acres that you can shoot on if you cannot shoot on your own property. I came from a large metro and ranges were my only option....I hate having some a-hole range master looking over my shoulder. Welcome to the land of Freedom. 

You aren't choosing a lover, it's just a gun, get on with it.

BTW, I will make a recommendation for your wife.

I bought my 10 year old son a SW M&P 22 Compact. Perfect for him. I paid $299 for it new, with threaded barrel. Comes with a manual safety, holsters are available. Fun to shoot and I'm having no problem finding 22lr now. It is a compact version of a full sized gun. 

Get her used to carrying, used to keeping a gun safely, building confidence......then move on to what she really wants. 

• Like 1
9mm will be cheaper to shoot than 380, and a variety of ammo will be easier to find. My wife and I both have a small 380, but they ONLY get carried IF I can't carry something else larger. Most of the time I carry a small single stack 9mm (glock 43 in my case).

If your wife really likes the Ruger but the LCP feels too small, Ruger also makes the LC9 and LC9s. The LC9s is striker fired and I heard it has a good trigger.

Don't forget to take a look at the Shield if you haven't already.

As far as both of you needing to get the same caliber... I think that's a good idea because you can buy cheaper in bulk and will always have ammo for both. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though.

As far as both of you needing to get the same manufacturer of firearm... I don't think it really matters. It's more important to get what feels good in your hand and you can shoot/carry well. Of course if you both have the same or similar operating guns, you will both have the benefit of being familiar with the operation of each other's guns, but you wouldn't have to stay with the same manf to acheive that. Edited by Wingshooter