Got my card, going shopping!

ReeferMac

The S&W Shield and the GLock 43 , both in 9mm would be an awesome start for you and your wife in my opinion. They are both very reliable and fun and easy as can be to carry . Both of these are different than the little Keltec's P3AT and similiar guns. The Shield and Glock 43 can be run and run and run without any ill effects on them. Just like their bigger full size brothers. On the little Keltec's and such they have a limited life and are not built to run 1,000's and 1,000's of rounds .

So that's why I would choose the Glock 43 and the S&W Shield in 9mm .

That's just my $.02 .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

Thanks Jonin, yes, I'm very hesitant to 'pull the trigger' and buy anything. So far I am noticing various qualities to different guns that I like, and the local store's staff here is pretty good (I liked the trigger on the Ruger, but the LCP felt too small... Here, try this Springfield!) Frankly, I haven't found one I really like just yet.

There's quite a few competing demands I'm trying to balance out... and maybe I'm placing importance on factors that I shouldn't be?

My wife and I are both going to acquire personal carry pieces, and I'm trying to keep them from the same manuf.... thinking ease of parts/tools, cleaning, accessories, etc., will be improved (*but by all means, correct me if that assumption is false*) It's not a given, I may go w/ a Springfield 9 while she gets a Ruger .380... but I like the M&P line also, and the Bodyguard model would fit her needs... and I do like the single-stack M&P Compact? :lol: I liked the Springfields I've tried, but she said she doesn't like the 9's, too much for her.

I want(ed) to stay in the same caliber as my wife, so that we can buy bulk, reload, etc., cheaper and more easily. Again, please correct me if that assumption is off target. That being said, I agree w/ the above statement about a common police/military caliber (Jonin, you were in on that rifle discussion...), and may decide to carry a 9 for myself. I doubt I'll explore the larger sizes, 9's got more than enough BANG for me.

IMO - and I raise my hand and admit I'm a newbie here - I think quality ammo in .380 is capable of ruining some perp's day, and I can play w/ it all day long at the range. I can find a variety of small guns that conceal easily and are quality instruments that will go bang when someone pulls the trigger. I've been able to narrow things down fairly well, and am trying to find sample guns to try (even dry-firing @ the showroom tells you a lot - especially the trigger!). I was kinda disappointed a week ago, talking w/ another fellow who was @ the range trying out his brandy-new LCP, mentioned my wife was thinking of buying one but wanted to try it first (pointed, mentioned that she was in the next stall over w/ the Glock42). He said he wasn't very pleased w/ it, but it was his first time out, packed up his stuff, and walked away... D'oh! Was hoping he'd offer my wife a few rounds, dang! Is it rude to come right out and ask "Hey, can I take a few shots w/ your gun?", I don't know proper range etiquette? Is that like asking to dance w/ someone's wife? :lol:

Waiting for membership papers from the local outdoor's man's club. Hoping if I spend some time prowling the pistol range, I'll get to try a few other makes and models, and can make a more informed decision. Wifey's itching to get something, anything... but she understands a 400-dollar mistake isn't in our best interest right now. So far the Ruger is the only one she's really liked, but we haven't fired it (not avail. for rent, only 6 rnds of try-before-buy), but I think the .380 Bodyguard from S&W would appeal to her too (also avail try-before-buy), and then I would be looking at the M&P line for my own, likely the compact-9. However I'm not going to force myself into a particular pistol if I don't like it... I'm a lot more flexible than she is, so trying to accommodate her needs first.

'Course the way things have been going, SHE'LL be the one itching for a 'collection'. Gawd, I'm so glad I married her sometimes!

- K

Quality ... yea it varies, but its hard to talk about... loose fit guns can run / feed better, be more forgiving, than tight ones so a little slop isn't all bad,  plastic isn't bad,  MIM parts get a bad rep because 1 in every 10 billion has an air pocket or something,  but all in all... most guns you can buy will work without incident with a few exceptions and anything that has been in production for a decade or so is usually a good bet that it works.   Stuff that does not work does not continue to be made generally.  And if it has a manufacturing defect, companies make it right for the most part.  Actually many smaller brands tend to be really solid on this -- they need every customer.

Unless its the exact same model x 2, you won't share parts in common, nor much in the way of "tools".   My "tools" consist of a cleaning kit and a few screwdrivers and punches ... some hand made from bought ones (if you didn't know most gun screws are flat, and most screwdrivers are tapered, which leads to damage to the screws ... you can buy rectangular screwdrivers or you can grind a normal one down), and allen wrenches etc.   Not much really.. I am not a gunsmith, and most modern guns come apart with basic tools.   

recoil etc.   Its physics.   9mm in small, light guns is brutal.  So is a 380, and a 25, in the smallest packages.  380s in mid sized guns (bersa, walther) is gentle.  9mm in larger guns (ruger p series, for example) is gentle.   Its a package..  recoil felt is determined by the gun's grip width, slide weight, springs, caliber, gun weight, bore axis, and other such things.    Also, caliber does not equal bang :)  it is the diameter in mm or inches.    40 and 10mm are the same size, but the 40 is a glorified 9mm and the 10 is more potent than a 357 revolver.  45 is bigger than 44, but the 44 packs at least double the felt recoil.

Reloading materials... the same powder works in a wide variety of bullets.  The same projectiles can too, 9 and 380 specifically can be shared, I use the same projectile in both cause im cheap and the lightweight 380 bullets cost less so I use them in my 9mm.  Primers are the same.  Brass, I loot off the range so its free for both.   You will need 2 sets of dies for it, might as well get 2 full sets.   I also use the same materials in my 38s for my revolver play.   This is an excellent diameter for keeping your materials common.   But don't let that hold you back,  most bullet bulk buys the cost is shipping, and buying more of any type helps spread the shipping out even if not same caliber.   The small savings between buying 1000 projectiles and 5000 is usually not worth talking about apart from the rare awesome deal you find every so often.

380 is more than capable.   Look at james bond, he knocks people thru walls with it.   Seriously, its fine.   The Russians used effectively the same thing for their pistol sidearm in their military for half a centaury and the cops over in Europe still use it.   If it didn't work, they would not -- even anti gun police states understand that their cops need working calibers to keep the rabble in line, right?

I am always willing to let someone try my gun out.   Like, 5 shots, no biggie.  If you want to shoot out a box in it, provide the ammo yourself.  Not everyone is this willing, but all they can do is say "no" .   Most gun people are open to trying each others toys out.  

My wife owns nearly as many guns as I do.  And we share some.   This is a good thing, a hobby we can do together etc.   Encourage her  and enjoy the sport together.   Far too many guys exclude/discourage the women in their life (wife, daughters, friends, whoever) from guns, which is a shame really.

• Like 1

I also am not a fan of the .380.  I would rather have a 9mm or a .small 38 spl. I have a S&W Mdl 38 Air Weight Bodyguard that goes where ever I go.

Harvey's Pistol and Pawn was running a special on S&W Shields in 9mm and 40S&W for $329 last week.  They also had full size and compact M&P's in 9mm, 40S&W and .45ACP for $379 of you bought it that day.  They also do lay-a-way, for up to 10 months, as long as you pay 10% down and 10% a month.

A little double stack 9mm that I love is a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 (not the Pro).  I've had mine for over a year now and it's ran flawlessly since I got it (over 500 rounds now).  You can get these for $199 at several places around East Tennessee.

I realized I was rude in not welcoming you to our site and o our fair state.  Welcome to both and welcome to a bit more freedom than you experienced in the People's Republic of New York!  We could still improve somethings in this state when it comes to freedom, but I think we are on the right road! :)

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I have a .380 and carry it when it would difficult to carry a larger pistol.  I prefer my P938 or XDS.  The XDS is available in 9 mm or 45 acp with both pistols being the same size.

Edited by tnhawk

Thanks for all the great advice guys, appreciate it!

Was talking w/ the missus last night (I'm ready to buy... mine at least, LOL!)

She was sick the day we went to the range, and felt that may have affected her preference. Wants to go again, try the 9 and .380 again (G42 and G43 avail at rental range, however the M&P they have is a 40, not a 9, so.... Still, I like the way the M&P feels dry-firing). She was having mis-feed problems w/ the Glock(s), both sizes, store-staff diagnosed it to her wrists not holding steady enough, the recoil was being absorbed by her hands, slide wouldn't cycle properly. I'm fairly certain she won't decide on a 9mm... that being said, I would LIKE to keep things common, and admit, the .380 Glock was a something I could fire all day long, but am leaning towards a 9 for me for a host of reasons. I would however like to have very similar guns.. so the mechanics are the same for both of us (Safety's, clip-release, etc.). Frankly, I wish I liked the Glock's more, as that would be a no-brainer, I'm just not a fan of the one's I've tried. I liked the Springfield XD better.

Thanks for the greetings Moped! Not Rude at all... but if you want to make it up to me, I should have membership papers @ Oak Ridge Sportsman's club soon (they cashed my check....), you can meet me there and let my wife and I try out your wares! LOL! ;)

Thanks Jonin, understand what you mean about physics, that's my problem w/ the smaller guns, as I have these big ham-hands that just swallow them up, I need more 'grip' to grip, else I don't feel comfortable. I think that'll be a problem w/ any of the pocket-carry's, they all feel the same to me?

I'm trying to stick w/ a US manuf. too, so I may just get one of the small Ruger's or that Bodyguard 380.... She liked the blue-cammo ruger better than the pink one anyways, worst-case. if it doesn't work for her, I keep that for a pocket-carry, and get a 9 for regular use. The way she's been talking, I don't think I'd get yelled at if I came home w/a box from Frontier Firearms.

Ain't she a gem?!

:D

- K

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Like 1

a lot of "foreign" companies make them here.  Guns are tricky to import, so they just set up shop here.   Not all, but a lot.

yes, all pocket guns are, by definition, small and typically fail for very large hands.   Terminology is muddled on the sizes of autos (revolvers have this down cleanly) but the next thing up from a pocket pistol is a "subcompact" like the cz rami,  or your larger 380s like walther and bersa etc.  Most pocket guns offer an extended magazine that increases the grip size but that still only really supports medium sized hands.  Worse, most of them slide-bite you with big hands (slide hits your hand and cuts you every shot).   That said you can get a pretty large gun in your pockets if you wear certain types of clothing with larger pockets.  I pocket carried a Makarov (its like a large single stack 380 in size and shape)  for over a decade.   It won't fit in all clothing, but it worked for me with the pants I wear.   People pocket carry the kel tec pf/p-11 type guns too for a couple more size comparisons.    I like pocket carry because I sit down more than I stand up, and waist carry bothers me sitting.  

Yes, glocks require you to have massively strong hands and wrists or they do not work.  Some exercise and practice can overcome this for healthy shooters, while handicapped people can swap in a weaker spring to make it work.   You can limp-wrist jam any semi-auto but its easier to do on lightweight, high recoil, heavy spring guns and glock is all 3 of those.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I actually didn't know the finer points to handgun laws here in TN until I took the class! LOL! That being said, having come from the nanny-state NY, where I was also planning on getting my permit for the same reasons, it's as much about exercising my rights (while I still can!) as anything else. I do not like the way the world's turning these days (one of the things that prompted the move to TN), and can think of more than a few times when I wish I had been carrying, and since the wife is behind the decision for the same reasons... We'll do it all by the book, and that way they can't take 'em away from me! I'd like to get some more training on things, especially for the missus, but it's good all around regardless. There's quite a bit about threat mitigation and situational awareness that I've learned just by reading, but my wife's not wired that way. I think a few tactics and training classes will go a long way.

The Oak Ridge Sportsman's club cashed my check this week, so hopefully I'll have membership information on that soon, and can take the shotgun out again! They've got pistol-ranges as well, so I figured it would be a good investment!

LOL!, Was just re-reading the quote above, most of you probably don't realize, but you can't even buy handgun ammunition in NY, unless you have that caliber pistol listed on your permit... So if a friend wanted you to pick up a box of something-something for his gun you were going to try out when you met him at the range, the store couldn't sell it to you! He would have to be present w/ his permit showing that gun on his permit.

That's no Bull... It's F'ing crazy up there.

- K

I'm formerly from NY, too. It's weird. The longer I'm away from that place, the harder it is to imagine how I lived there.

If your wife is having limp wristings problems with glocks.  Next time y'all are at the range, see if one of the instructors will show her the correct  way to hold a gun.  My wife was having problems with our (her) glocks when we started shooting again.    We talked to one of the firearm instructors at the range.  He gave her a 5 minute lesson on how to hold the glock.  She hasn't had a problem since then.  She prefers the glock 17 and 42 over all the other guns we have. 

As per a .380 being worthless.  I did a lot of reading on the subject.  All calibers will kill or do damage. (per the fbi more people have been killed with one shot with a 22lr then any other hand gun)  People have been shot multiple times with 45's and kept fighting and lived.

Carry what you feel ok with. 

I have back problems so I don't like a lot of recoil or heavy guns.    The glock 42 for a 380 had the best feel for me.   The rest of the 380's I tried had too much of a kick (due to being light weight)  the other 380's I like are sigs.   

9mm's seem to be the best for me.  I would suggest to find a range that has a large selection you can rent and try the different ones.  Work you way down to the 2 or 3 of the ones you like and then spend a few days shooting just those 2 or 3.    I did this with my last gun....I was certain at the start I would be owning a new glock 43 when done....After about 5 trips to the range I now have a 9 mm shield that I love.

IF YOU BUY A GLOCK 42.........It is not like the other glocks ...(Google glock 42 problems)....there is a break in period of about 300 to 500 rounds....I had problems with the glock 42 I bought, at least one failure to feed per every 2nd magazine during the first 300 rounds.  Hasn't happen after the first 300 rounds.  It did seem to happen more often with NEW cheaper ammo like freedom munitions.  But it is running fine now with the cheaper rounds.

Edited by ou812

Carry what you feel ok with. 

Agreed...

We're going to the range/store tomorrow and hoping to connect w/ one of the staff there. He was very patient and understanding with us, and my wife in particular. Really made us feel at ease, and seemed very knowledgeable.Can't say enough about Frontier Firearms in Kingston. I mentioned specifically concerns I had about caliber effectiveness, and reports coming from military staff overseas, and he said he was one of those guy's complaining about 9mm side-arm's not working against Hajji's... Get Hollowpoints, you'll be fine. I think the gel-tests from Luckygunner back that up, there were a few brands that reliably penetrated 18" and left an ugly hole...

Back to the original statement, my wife feel's OK carrying a .380, the 9mm scares her at the range. I'm going to get her a 380 she feels OK with, and train her to hit the target and have a very fast and twitchy finger! :D You keep going until it stops, honey!! And here's how you reload!

She did better than me on the HCP test, very tight grouping! Yes, believe me, after 15-years, I KNOW not to mess w/ her!

- K

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it took a while to get around to it (work finally found me...) but this last week we got the missus a Ruger LC9s, and today I picked up the S&W M&P 9 Compact, and got the full size mag w/ cover, so can hold 17! :D

Thanks for all the help w/ everything!

So, now I have to go to Walmart w/ my piece or something, right? LOL!

Where's a good place to get bulk 9mm for practice?

Should I start a new thread so everyone can argue about the best carry ammo? I think I'm going to have to review that LuckyGunner test again!

- K

• Like 1

Where's a good place to get bulk 9mm for practice?

Online vendors always best price, but locally Walmart and Academy. Academy has been selling UMC 250 packs and Winchester white box 200 packs for right about a quarter a pop in hand, Wally about the same, just sketchy stock.

You can get it down to just under .20 each in hand online with the right deal buying 1,000 lot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have used Freedom Munitions free 1st timer deal but haven't shot any yet, just was delivered Thursday. A friend uses it all the time and turned me on to it. I also buy from http://www.targetsportsusa.com free shipping on case lots.

As another refugee from Western NY (East of Rochester, Williamson) welcome to East TN. We sold our house in August and then had all kinds of problems with the buyer getting a mortgage, we really didn't want to own it through the Winter. Finally got everything to work and the check went in the bank a couple of weeks ago. One more tax filing and I am completely free of that place. As someone else mentioned it is hard to believe I put up with that place as long as I did. Already have 2 of the guns on my list that I couldn't own in NY and a bunch of standard capacity magazines (and one big mag :-). Nothing keeping me from the rest on my list accept I'm pacing myself (and cash flow, all out). We have been here since mid June and it has felt like home from day one.

As another refugee from Western NY (East of Rochester, Williamson) welcome to East TN.

Thanks Jeb! We're from the apple-farms on the OTHER side of Roch-cha-cha (Hilton!), LOL!

Still stuck w/ the house, hired a new realtor a couple weeks ago, hopefully this guy does better. Was REALLY hoping we could have sold it by now, so we could close out our bank accounts, etc., and file that final tax-return.... Bit of a long-shot at this point, but frankly, I just hope we don't have to HEAT the place until March!

- K

Hey Josh (Great last name, I share it!) I was looking at a few of the 'fancier' model pistols out there, but figured for the first one I'd just go straight w/ the factory configuration. In 3-months I'll be asking about Fiber Optic sights, then lasers... THEN, a trigger, LOL!

No, I agree, the Ruger's smooth as glass, really finely manufactured piece. I really notice a difference between the wife's pistol and my M&P (but her's won't hold 17!) I would have liked to have tried the larger one's (like the 9E, etc.), but wanted something more compact than a full-size model to aid concealment. I like being able to carry the M&P Compact w/ the 12-round clip, but bring the 17-round as a backup. So far I'm pretty happy.

.... and I got to go to Orientation at the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association last night, so now it's off to the Bulk-Ammo shops, and put some rounds through these suckers! LOL!

• Like 1
Another place to try locally for cheap ammunition is Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Seiverville. But check Walmart first for ball ammunition prices.

I just picked up a FNH FNS9 that is really comfortable in the hand. Plan on shooting it this weekend. Hickok 45 loves this pistol! And hopefully I will get my M&P45C out of lay-a-way next week. :)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

ReeferMac, welcome to TGO, and the gun world.  Glad you and your wife found handguns you like.

I predict that by next year you'll be researching guns safes..............for your growing collection of guns.

Such is life in the gun world. :pleased:

"IF YOU BUY A GLOCK 42.........It is not like the other glocks ...(Google glock 42 problems)....there is a break in period of about 300 to 500 rounds....I had problems with the glock 42 I bought, at least one failure to feed per every 2nd magazine during the first 300 rounds.  Hasn't happen after the first 300 rounds.  It did seem to happen more often with NEW cheaper ammo like freedom munitions.  But it is running fine now with the cheaper rounds."

In MY experience with several dozen (hundred?) or so weapons, weapons that fail in the "break in" period tend to keep failing.  If there is a reason that I can identify (buff this or file this), I will give it another chance, but for the most part, if I have to wait on some mythical break in period--I find that I almost never get there and never fully trust that weapon again.  It goes back to the LGS and I trade it for another model.  I lose some money that way but I have no use for a handgun that I cannot fully trust.  I have had this issue with several small pocket guns (Diamondback most recently but also the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-140).  I have found that more times than not with firearms, you get what you pay for.  Good deals CAN be found (like my Sig 229 Stainless .375 SIg that i got used excellent condition from CDNN for $400!) but those are good deals on GOOD guns.  Never cheap guns that are "good for the money".  I am talking about what I do, not trying to tell anyone how to be.  I would rather have 1 or 2 GOOD guns and a bunch of ammo than 6 questionable guns.

As far as the recommendation to shoot before you buy, I could not possibly agree more.  The old "if I had a nickle"...One prime example, the Sig 938.  By all acoounts, an EXCELLENT weapon.   It has an ambidextrous safety.  I thought the 938 would be PERFECT for me since I have carried the p238 for years and the 938 is just a 9mm version?  Well I was wrong.  The ambidextrous safety causes me to engage the safety with every shot (my 238 only has one sided  safety).  It seems that every time I pull the trigger with my index finger, the little muscle on the side of my index finger flexes in the exact position as the safety and engages the safety with every shot.  I have shown people how it happens and looked for a solution, but even speaking with SIG representatives (at the NRA show last spring), I cannot come up with a solution--other than a gunsmith to change the safety for me.  Glad I shot that one before I bought one.  There are little issues that many people have just like mine with different models.  I had one handgun (I cannot remember which?) where I hit the magazine release with every shot.  Do not buy a gun where your hand releases the magazine with every shot!  Everyone's hands are different and there is NO WAY to know these little things until you fire the gun.  Fire before you buy if AT ALL possible--is really what I am trying to say.

Current EDC is Sig p238 (stainless) in a DeSantis pocket holster.  My "Car Gun" is a Ruger KP 95 9mm (Car gun because it is an inexpensive model and I am not paranoid about it getting stolen).  Neither has ever jammed, not once.