My QC10 9mm 14.5" carbine and small range report

KKing

I finally "finished" this thing and got it out today for 150 rounds before it started pouring rain on me. I don't have a shelter up on my shooting property, so when the rain came I just called it a day. Picture first, then some specs.

Edited by KKing
  • Like 3
Full disclosure, I skimmed through this at a red light and did not get to the problems you were having. I have been seriously considering trying my had at building one of these. I like the look of the dedicated lower, but want it to use Colt mags. Don't own a Gock, not a fan. Do you think this problem would still happen with this kind of set up that I mentioned? I know nothing about these or building ARs, so please forgive my ignorance.
Full disclosure, I skimmed through this at a red light and did not get to the problems you were having. I have been seriously considering trying my had at building one of these. I like the look of the dedicated lower, but want it to use Colt mags. Don't own a Gock, not a fan. Do you think this problem would still happen with this kind of set up that I mentioned? I know nothing about these or building ARs, so please forgive my ignorance.

Not ignorant at all. I'll look into how those Colt dedicated lowers are set up and let you know. The glock dedicated lowers bolt catch works on a transfer bar type system.

Nice!

Any reason in particular you went through with the long barrel? I've told the wife I want a 9mm AR but I think a pistol config with like a 7.5" barrel would be my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KKing

KKing, assembling my QC10 lower and been debating on kns anti rotation/ anti walk pins. I see you used them. Are they a necessity and what gen did you use on yours?

I wouldn't call them a necessity at all. If I remember correctly, having a ramped bolt makes this a non issue. With a ramped bolt you can run a normal mil-spec hammer and not have to worry about it beating up your pins (from what I have read). I used them simply out of habit. I run them on all of my weapons. I have had a hammer pin walk out on me once and ruin my day so I figure why not. These are what I used...
http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/gen-2-mod-2-non-rotating-trig-ham-pins-169.html

Thanks for clearing that up. I have a QC10 bolt and a JP 9mm bolt, so guess I'm good without the KNS anti rotation pins then, although they do look cool and I've never used them so I'll probably give them a try.
You think your buffer/spring combo could be contributing to the failure of the LRBHO?
Ive ordered the JP Silent captured spring and the Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer with Sprinco orange spring to try out both. I, like you, am planning to sbr the qc10 lower and will be disappointed if the LRBHO won't work reliably

I really wish it were that easy. Even manually running the charging handle back with an empty magazine won't lock it open. I did, however make sure the bolt goes back far enough behind the catch since I'm using the longer 9mm buffer, and sure enough it's going back at least 1/4" past the catch, so it should work if it was getting the upward pressure from the follower/less resistance from the bolt catch spring. Oy vey!

• Admin Team

I've not had any issue with my BHO using Glock mags - truthfully, for the first few magazines it would occasionally catch with some rounds left in the magazine.

I found that a break in period helped.  It's been a non-issue since.  Mine likes to be run pretty wet, too.

I've not had any issue with my BHO using Glock mags - truthfully, for the first few magazines it would occasionally catch with some rounds left in the magazine.

I found that a break in period helped. It's been a non-issue since. Mine likes to be run pretty wet, too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping maybe with time the spring will get some give to it. I'm also going to order a new magazine or 2. Mine are a little older and don't give me feeding problems, but maybe the mag springs don't have the bounce they used to.

ETA: One thing I did notice today. Apparently a 50 yard zero on a 22lr AR platform is near identical to a 25 yard zero 9mm AR platform weapon. I had that red dot on my S&W 15/22 and did not adjust it once to destroy the center ring with the 9mm.

Given that the .22LR and 9mm are nearly the same velocity, I'd expect a 25 yd zero to be nearly the same.  Honestly, I'd expect the 25 yd zero to be nearly the same for just about any caliber.  There simply isn't time for the bullet to move much in the 0.030 - 0.060 seconds between the muzzle and the target. 

Given that the .22LR and 9mm are nearly the same velocity, I'd expect a 25 yd zero to be nearly the same. Honestly, I'd expect the 25 yd zero to be nearly the same for just about any caliber. There simply isn't time for the bullet to move much in the 0.030 - 0.060 seconds between the muzzle and the target.

50 yard zero for 22lr, 25 yard for 9mm

Needs a can. Other than that, I like it!!

If I ever get the bugs worked out on this lower and run a short barrel it will definitely get a can.

• 1 month later...

Little update on the bolt catch situation. I have found that the ETS magazines have enough spring pressure on the floor plate to activate the bolt hold open. They work well, and look pretty neat as well. Win win. So all of my magazines for this carbine are getting switched over, and now I'm contemplating a form 1. Here's a photo of the ETS mags I snagged from the net 43dac240e6d7e1a33a084ebb71c6100e.jpg

Glad to hear you are getting the problems worked out on this.

I currently have an AR9 and a 9 pistol built by Smith of fame here. I'm really looking hard at the Circle 10 lowers as with you, for the use of Glock mags. Also want to go with a side charging upper on it.

But money considerations will have to make this a long term build project at the time being.

Could you comment further on the ETS mags? I'll look them up, but like to hear from a known user on them.

Thanks for posting all this.

And a Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year to you!

Could you comment further on the ETS mags? I'll look them up, but like to hear from a known user on them.

Thanks for posting all this.

And a Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year to you!

Sure thing. They're a completely polymer magazine as opposed to the factory Glock metal lining. Doesn't bother me much as mine is a range toy and should never see a combat scenario. To me, I prefer the feel of the ETS polymer to the new magpul magazines, less mold marks and such, mainly aesthetic. Both run fine in my pistol and the carbine, with the only difference being the ETS actuates the bolt hold open in the carbine. ETS has only had these Glock mags out a very short time, they've been making AR magazines for quite some time. I preordered mine from Ranier and just received it this Monday. They're making 15, 17, 22, and 31 round magazines in 9mm. The 22 round from my understanding is for competition folks that have a length limit on the magazines.

Oh, and merry Christmas to you too! Hope the big guy comes to see you! Edited by KKing
  • Like 1

Glad it's working out for you now. I've not had any problems with BHO on mine, although I have less than 50 rounds through it. Mostly just zeroed in the sight and did a couple of function checks. I just ordered the parts for a second upper with a 5.5" barrel. Hopefully my Form 1 will be back soon...

On an slightly unrelated note I see PSA is making a billet lower that takes Glock mags for less money. I'll be curious to see some reviews on these.

Little update on the bolt catch situation. I have found that the ETS magazines have enough spring pressure on the floor plate to activate the bolt hold open. They work well, and look pretty neat as well. Win win. So all of my magazines for this carbine are getting switched over, and now I'm contemplating a form 1. Here's a photo of the ETS mags I snagged from the net 43dac240e6d7e1a33a084ebb71c6100e.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are we looking at here? 9mm AR pistol? Whatever it is, I like it.

Yes Erik, 9mm AR.

I just went to the ETS website and saw that their address is listed as Knoxville. Wonder if I can go by and pick up an order instead of waiting for shipping.

That is interesting. Don't think I knew that. If they have an actual storefront that would be awesome