Cheap Thrills

kesava

My Ruger P-Series pistols are as reliable as my Glocks and even I am a huge Glock fan and still admit it .

Well, you're only talking used guns with them, so don't know if that's in the spirit of the thing, as you can get a good deal on lots of heaters for under three bills.

- OS

I haven't shot the plastic framed SAR/Witness guns but I love my steel and aluminum framed versions in 10MM! Granted, they are twice the $300 entry into this discussion, but I very well may pick up a plastic in 9. I wouldn't expect one to last in 10mm, though. Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

Rossi .357 snubnosed revolvers are in that neighborhood, brand new.  I liked the one I had and would still have it if I hadn't traded it toward a S&W 642 (because I wanted a pocketable revolver and didn't have a S&W revolver.)  I would have no qualms owning another,  6 shots of .357 in a snubnosed revolver for around $300 brand new.  The only problem I ever had was finding 'off the shelf' fitted holsters made for them.  No big deal - just make your own.

Hi-Points are another good answer.  I bought my mom a (barely used, like new) Hi Point in 9mm just so she could try out something in 9mm and I wouldn't be in it for much if she didn't like it.  Figured she could trade up if she did like it.  Nope, that was several years ago and she loves the Hi Point so it isn't going anywhere.  She likes it so much, in fact, that she eventually bought one in .45, as well.

As said, with the P-series Rugers you'd be talking used but they are really good pistols.  I was given a P-95 (9mm) decocker only model by a now deceased friend.  I really liked it and thought I would like to carry it but didn't want to because of sentimental value so I ended up getting another one - a safety/decocker model.  I would have preferred decocker only but took what I could find - I think they stopped offering the option of decocker only quite some time ago and went to all P95 pistols having safety/decockers.  P95 pistols are DA/SA (which I like) so I never use the safety, anyhow. The safety/decocker model I have has a light rail while the decocker only model is older and has no light rail.

Edited by JAB

Smith SD series. Though after tax it may be 315 OTD. Academy runs them at 279 every now and then.

My paralegal has the SD9.  I was just looking at it the other day and was impressed.  The trigger in her particular pistol feels lighter than the 8lb weight listed by S&W.  I doubt she has many rounds through it and I know she hasn't modified it so she must have just gotten a good one out of the box.  It feels like a stock 5.5lb Glock trigger, just with a tad longer and less distinct reset.  The fit/finish and everything else on that thing blows away any Kel-Tec and most other options in that price range which feel very cheap in comparison.  

My choices for a $300 pistol would be the SD9 for an all around pistol or the Ruger LCP for the person who doesn't own a small summer-friendly carry pistol.  

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 1

I haven't shot the plastic framed SAR/Witness guns but I love my steel and aluminum framed versions in 10MM! Granted, they are twice the $300 entry into this discussion, but I very well may pick up a plastic in 9. I wouldn't expect one to last in 10mm, though.

I have the two eaa guns I posted above except I have the .357 4in model.   The witness 9mm is my son's and my favorite gun to shoot at the range.   I wish it had a decocker.  The wife likes shooting .38 in the windicator.  Never have had any problem out of either of them.  Wish I could say the same about the wife's glock 42!

Edited by ou812