I.D this action... Siamese 98?

JohnC

What is it and what's is it worth?

042671b1aecb0362a3b0530e6e0386a4.jpg

f56447aca9ad868a4ce59055a82a4410.jpg

894f58052ab1db63bed84a5f6fb59a6e.jpg

My dad gave me this thing and I think he called it a Siamese 98.

I'm not sure if I want to try and build something with it or just get rid of it. I'm not really in to these old rifles, but if I could make it shoot sub-moa, I might give it a try. Lol

Fwiw...

He has built 2 rifles off this action I believe. One has a heavy barrel in 30-06 and the other has a HUGE heavy target barrel chambered in 45-70 Govt. Both have long Unertl scopes on them that have an external spring.

I'll have to get pictures of them if I can talk him in to pulling them out. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JohnC
Some of the classiest rifles ever built were on a Siamese action. They will hold just like a '98 will and chamber a 45-70 very well. It will take your 45-70 into "Ruger only" loads with ease. A 45-70 in a Siamese action will get just inside the threshold of a .458 win mag.
  • Like 1

Some of the classiest rifles ever built were on a Siamese action. They will hold just like a '98 will and chamber a 45-70 very well. It will take your 45-70 into "Ruger only" loads with ease. A 45-70 in a Siamese action will get just inside the threshold of a .458 win mag.

Would it then be a waste to build this in to a 7.62x54 Russian? I'd like to have a good bolt action plinker that shoot cheaper ammo like that.

Is there a specific thread for this receiver I need to look for when ordering a barrel?

Unless you really want to take on a project of that magnitude it would be cheaper just to buy a Mosin.  Are you a gunsmith or do you have all the tools to mount and headspace a barrel?

No, don't have any gunsmith tools, but I am willing to buy them to do it myself if it isn't terribly expensive. :up:

Then again, looking at the bolt, if that needed any work, I'd probably pass that on to a gunsmith.

What would they typically charge to do something like a 7.62x54r conversion?

Although bolt-actions are incredibly simple they require far more skill than slapping together an AR.  First you'll need to find a barrel that fits with the correct threading.  I don't know anything about buying Mauser action barrels but am pretty sure a barrel in that caliber will most likely be a custom job......more than the cost of an entire Mosin rifle.

The barrel on bolt-actions such as this are screwed in and held on with nothing more than good old-fashioned tension.  There aren't any screws, pins, gas tube or anything else to hold it in place.  It has to be screwed down tight!  You'll need some kind of barrel or receiver wrench to do it right....then there's the headspacing.  That will require not only gauges but a lathe to tune the barrel face if needed to adjust it correctly.

Not saying it's not doable,  just thinking it will be really expensive.

• Like 2

I don't know a thing about vintage scopes but those old Unertl's might be worth a small fortune (scope-wise).

I wondered about the value of them. I might try to Google up some stuff on these. He'd had more, but our house got broken in to when I was a kid and they stole some rifles and pistols. Some of the stuff that got stolen was inherited from his father. I was too young to even recall what they were or what they looked like, but he was telling me about it when i snapped these pictures. :(

Just a little info, but if I recall correctly, an Ace Hardware store down in Donelson, TN, might be where he got some of the Gun Smithing on those 45-70's done. I recall a guy named Henery Craten, if I spelled the name correctly. Edited by JohnC

Harry Crighton built a lot of rifles.  My hunting buddy used to live next door to him. He has been gone a long time

So wow, I even spelled his name wrong. lol

Far as I know, my Dad said he had a bunch of those Siamese 98 actions for sale back when he was at Ace Hardware. He said Crighton built those 45-70's for him I believe. I know for sure the Siamese 98 was. I think the heavy barrel one, too, though.

I used to go to that Ace Hardware with my Dad as a kid all the time. I got my Ruger 10/22 from that store for passing to the 5th grade. It has a walnut folding stock, heat shields, flash hider, all done up and looked cool (hey, I was a kid). I still have it, but my Dad got bored one day and took the stock off and put a heavy target barrel on it. He lost the heat shield that went over the barrel on the receiver side, too. :(