Sausage balls

EMB145

I have not posted in a while, but curious about everyone elses sausage ball reciepies. Its that time of year...and honestly, I don't know why its not an all year thing. They are easy to make and last a while.... deliciousness... I'm expeirimenting with the below recipie.

1 pound Tennessee Pride "Hot Sausage"

16 oz Shredded cheddar cheese

1-3/4 cups Bisquick

I mix this all together and roll into small balls. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes and they are delicious.

What is your twist on this receipie?

o

• Like 1
One of my favorite goto party tray appetizers. That recipe is the same one I started with many years back but have since experimented with something different every year. Anything from bear meat to vegetarian balls which no one knew didn't contain meat :)

I have not posted in a while, but curious about everyone elses sausage ball reciepies. Its that time of year...and honestly, I don't know why its not an all year thing. They are easy to make and last a while.... deliciousness... I'm expeirimenting with the below recipie.

1-3/4 cups Bisquick

I mix this all together and roll into small balls. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes and they are delicious.

o

I've made them the same way but I sometimes add just a bit, to taste actually, of Tony Chachere's Cajan Spice to the mix. It's great for football games. 

I've made them the same way but I sometimes add just a bit, to taste actually, of Tony Chachere's Cajan Spice to the mix. It's great for football games. 

You need to find some Slap Ya Mama and give that a shot instead of Tony's. Its way less salty and tastes a lot better. It has slowly taken over as the #1 seasoning out of Louisiana over the last couple of years. Its great stuff.

• Like 3

1-3/4 cups Bisquick

o

1 lb sausage

1 cup biscuit

4 eggs beaten

1 cup cheddar cheese

mix and put in muffin tin and bake at 350 for 20 mins and have sausage muffins instead of balls

is there a substitute for bisquick? I cant have that :(

I am assuming the carbs are the hard part for you or is it something else in the bisquick.  Bisquick is basically flour with some levening agents already added.  If there is a more carb friendly flour, you could probably use it with some baking powder.

is there a substitute for bisquick? I cant have that :(

I happened to come across this the other day - something called Utah Ready-Quick Mix.  Apparently there is a government extension office in Utah that publishes the recipe along with a pamphlet/small booklet which includes recipes in which the Ready-Quick Mix can be used.  Here is a link to the .pdf of the full booklet:

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FNP_102.pdf

I guess the booklet is intended to be printed and then folded in half because the recipe for the actual Ready-Quick Mix is on page 3 of the booklet (which happens to be the right hand side of page 3 of the .pdf - with page 38 on the left hand side.)  I hope that helps.

Just to throw this in, they also have a publication for a mix they call SOS (soup or sauce) that is meant to be a substitute for cream-style soups in recipes, etc.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FNP_101.pdf

I am generally not really a fan of sausage balls, myself.  I think a lot of them have waaaayyyy to much of a 'bread' quality (not that I don't like bread) and not enough of the sausage/cheese quality.  If I were to make them, I'd probably use as little of the flour/Bisquick type ingredients as possible.

Edited by JAB

CARBS!!!.. :(

Then you probably ought not eat sausage balls. They're delicious little blobs of greasy fatty goodness. Wonder if you could substitute something like corn meal. Or does that have lots of carbs too? Edit... Yep. Sorry. :) Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

CARBS!!!..  :(

You may want to try Kikkoman Japanese style Bread Crumbs. I use them when I need to make something low carb. They do have a few carbs but nothing compared to things such as Bisquick.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

I had a brilliant idea the other day....lop the top of a jalapeno, stuff it full with sausage ball mix and bake it up.  That sounds real good to me.

That right there sounds like deliciousness waiting to happen. :yum:  I will be doing this. Thank you Sir.

You need to find some Slap Ya Mama and give that a shot instead of Tony's. Its way less salty and tastes a lot better. It has slowly taken over as the #1 seasoning out of Louisiana over the last couple of years. Its great stuff.

Thanks for the tip!  I found some of this and you are correct on all counts. The salt was one major drawback for me with Tony's, but the flavor is better also. I'll be frying up some crappie soon and I'll be adding this to my homemade fish fry mix.  :up:

• Like 1

I had a brilliant idea the other day....lop the top of a jalapeno, stuff it full with sausage ball mix and bake it up.  That sounds real good to me.

Sounds pretty good but I think I'd like it better stuffed with the mixture I use for stuffed mushrooms - sausage, browned and crumbled (I sometimes use Italian sausage when doing mushrooms), bread crumbs, a little parmesan cheese and an egg (as a binder.)  Stuff it into the mushrooms (or jalapenos as Garufa's great idea suggests), top with a little more shredded parmesan cheese and bake until filling is set, giving time for the egg in the mixture to fully cook.

Sounds pretty good but I think I'd like it better stuffed with the mixture I use for stuffed mushrooms - sausage, browned and crumbled (I sometimes use Italian sausage when doing mushrooms), bread crumbs, a little parmesan cheese and an egg (as a binder.) Stuff it into the mushrooms (or jalapenos as Garufa's great idea suggests), top with a little more shredded parmesan cheese and bake until filling is set, giving time for the egg in the mixture to fully cook.

I did the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños a while back. Other than taking 3x as long as I thought to cook, they were delicious.