AOW Breaching tip...a couple of questions.

I got a Remington 870 Witness Protection a few weeks ago and wanted to put a breachers tip put on it. I have seen a few of the ones that screw in the choke or tigthen on with an allen but that doesnt seem like the best solution. My concern is if I have a tip silver soldered to the end does that legally change the length of the barrel? And does anyone know of a gunsmith around Nashville that does work like that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
[quote name="nightrunner" post="1318054" timestamp="1445905739"]
Everyone I have seen mounts via choke threads.

If it's silver soldered I would suspect it legally changes the barrel length, but being an AOW, I'm not sure why it matters?[/quote]I assumed it would matter bc that is the length on the form 4. (If someone ever wanted to be a prick about it). I just wasnt sure if threads on it would be robust enough to handle constant smashing against wood/glass/metal. I plan on running it through a few courses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by WarPig

I got a Remington 870 Witness Protection a few weeks ago and wanted to put a breachers tip put on it. I have seen a few of the ones that screw in the choke or tigthen on with an allen but that doesnt seem like the best solution. My concern is if I have a tip silver soldered to the end does that legally change the length of the barrel? And does anyone know of a gunsmith around Nashville that does work like that?

You do that kind of work much, if not it is a waste of time and money.

Most of the breachers I have seen are sharp, snags on just about everything, skin as well.

MP/SRT flashbacks much bro? [emoji14]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You never know when you need to bust open a door, brother! I was actually running rooms with some buddies this weekend and thought, "whats the point of this thing if I can't crash a door with a sawdust round and push 230 lbs of rage through it?!?" I'm going to work with a guy at the Alliance PD range in MI this winter on breaching techniques so i figured I better get it ready.

You do that kind of work much, if not it is a waste of time and money.
Most of the breachers I have seen are sharp, snags on just about everything, skin as well.

Thats pretty much why I bought it. I dont really want an aggressive edge on it...mostly want the vents to keep the pressure off of me and the barrel.

You never know when you need to bust open a door, brother! I was actually running rooms with some buddies this weekend and thought, "whats the point of this thing if I can't crash a door with a sawdust round and push 230 lbs of rage through it?!?" I'm going to work with a guy at the Alliance PD range in MI this winter on breaching techniques so i figured I better get it ready.

Hell yeah man. Breaching is a lost art tbh - especially mechanical breaching.

Bring a GoPro for sure! Id sauter the brake - espec if its a perm attachment. IIRC if you undersling it like a Masterkey it becomes a SBS and not an AOW?

Hell yeah man. Breaching is a lost art tbh - especially mechanical breaching.

Bring a GoPro for sure! Id sauter the brake - espec if its a perm attachment. IIRC if you undersling it like a Masterkey it becomes a SBS and not an AOW?

I have it on a single point sling and wrap the tip with a velcro wrap on the side buckles of my plate carrier under my arm so the barrel sits behind my pistol and out of the way until I need it.

I need a GoPro. On the list.

Carrying it like an Irish Mob Special? Hells to yeah.

I always wanted to mess around with an AOW shotty, how does it feel to shoot?

Like Satan's butthole after bad Mexican food. Its unpleasant. Especially with slugs and buckshot. Next time I am near Clarksville I can bring it up and let you try it.

Like Satan's butthole after bad Mexican food. Its unpleasant. Especially with slugs and buckshot. Next time I am near Clarksville I can bring it up and let you try it.

At least it is not as bad as being anally fisted by Satan lol.

Im down to try it out, it will fulfill my other gangbanger fantasies lol

Need to get some dragons breath rounds for it

At least it is not as bad as being anally fisted by Satan lol.

Im down to try it out, it will fulfill my other gangbanger fantasies lol

Need to get some dragons breath rounds for it

:ugh: you will burn you nose hairs :stunned:

I think changing the length of the barrel might be a problem, why not drill or cut slots in the barrel to make a brake?

How often do you have to shoot a door to gain entry?

I have a steel doors on my place and very good locks(not pot metal), does this work on doors and locks like mine?

Thats pretty much why I bought it. I dont really want an aggressive edge on it...mostly want the vents to keep the pressure off of me and the barrel.

I think changing the length of the barrel might be a problem, why not drill or cut slots in the barrel to make a brake?
How often do you have to shoot a door to gain entry?
I have a steel doors on my place and very good locks(not pot metal), does this work on doors and locks like mine?

No these mostly require other mechanical breaching options. (Sledge and pry bar for one) I have seen videos of teams hitting metal reinforced doors with 00 buck, slugs, and breaching rounds on accident...it didn't end well. You lose the element of surprise with the sledge/wedge option if it takes more than 2 or 3 pops but you don't end up with a team member in the hospital with a Dr. digging shrapnel out of his thigh. There are some other options but it gets very LE/MIL/high end bad guy specific and an avg guy needs not worry.

I could vent the barrel, hadn't really thought of that. Its pretty thick because its toward the end but if I found the right gunsmith that may be a solution.

I'm no expert in the NFA world, but I don't think barrel length is going to matter. I think it's how short will it ever be is what goes on the form. What about the guys with SBR lowers that swap out their 10.5" shorty upper that they put on the form for say 14.5" carbine or maybe an 18" DMR?

Maybe someone can correct me but I believe that is the case?

What about the guys with SBR lowers that swap out their 10.5" shorty upper that they put on the form for say 14.5" carbine or maybe an 18" DMR?

Maybe someone can correct me but I believe that is the case?

From what I was told by the ATF you could temporarily change the SBR length as long as it could go back to its original configuration.