Best Colt SAA clone?

Wingshooter

I love single-action revolvers. I would love to have a genuine Colt 1873 SAA, but they too 'spensive for a safe queen. I'll just go with a clone to start, so I can enjoy and shoot it. I've been looking at the Uberti 1873 Cattleman and Cimmeron.

What do ya recommend for a good clone? I'm interested in detail to the original Colt SAA, smooth action, and durability after I put a bunch of rounds through it. I'm thinking .45

Suggestions? Bonus points for pictures :) Edited by Wingshooter
Wing... We have several Cimmaron percussion revolvers... They are excellent revolvers... Cimmarons are made by Uberti (... Or used ta be...)... The only qualm I have with them is cosmetic... The frames aren't really cased; so ya don't get the beautiful cases colors (... By the way, neither is Ruger... They are chemically colored to get the colors...)... We have "real colts, as well as the cimmarons and Rugers... For the money, I don't think ya can beat the Cimmarons...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks leroy. The cosmetic case coloring doesn't bother me too much. Do the Cimmarons have the same feel and balance as the colts (well, as close as can be expected)? Thanks

Yep... They are an exact copy... We have a pair of 36 navies that are essentially the same as a SSA... The Cimmarons are an exact copy of the originals... The 36 navies are the best balanced SA revolver i've ever handled, and we have the "real colts" too...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

My Ruger Bisley Vaquero is not only one of my favorite plinking pistols, it is one of my most accurate pistols.  It has a transfer bar so you can load six rounds and it is Ruger tough.  I hope one day to get a Colt SA.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 3

Uberti El Patron in 45 Colt. It's a good 'un...

IMG_0829a.jpg

Nice!

You want a Colt, buy a Colt. Don't shortchange yourself. You can always get your money back if you decide to.

That was my thought originally. I want to shoot it though, but if I spend $1600+ on a collectable I might not take it out of the safe too often. I thought I would pick up a nice clone and just enjoy shooting it. Then still keep my eyes open for a good deal on the "real thing".

If you buy a real Colt, don't bother with the 'Cowboy' SAA. It's modernized for less expensive production.

I have two Ubertis. Well made and accurate reproductions. I also have a Gen2 Colt SAA. THAT is a work of art!!!

Do the new Colt SAAs have different internals or transfer bar safety? I didn't know they were modernized. I'd love to have a Gen2 :drool:

IMG_4462_zpsbdc85229.jpg

Here's an 1873 on a date with a J frame. :pleased:

Nice! Edited by Wingshooter

Wing...

We have several third generation Colt's and a second generation New Frontier... (...the first issue of 'em...)... The third generations are generally reasonably priced if ya call $1200 up "reasonable" (..i have trouble calling this reasonable, but that's just me...)... Ours were bought in the "old days" when ya could find 'em... If ya want a real Colt, its hard to beat the guys at Cherry's Fine Guns... We like 'em and do business with them from time to time... Here's their website url... http://cherrys.com/ 

leroy

• Like 1

Wing...
We have several third generation Colt's and a second generation New Frontier... (...the first issue of 'em...)... The third generations are generally reasonably priced if ya call $1200 up "reasonable" (..i have trouble calling this reasonable, but that's just me...)... Ours were bought in the "old days" when ya could find 'em... If ya want a real Colt, its hard to beat the guys at Cherry's Fine Guns... We like 'em and do business with them from time to time... Here's their website url... http://cherrys.com/ 

leroy

Thanks for pointing me to Cherry's. I was looking over their inventory, and I'll keep them in mind when I'm ready to get the real thing. It wouldn't be the first time I spent $1200 on a gun, and I think a Colt SAA would definately be worth it. I plan to get one some day. I need to edjucate myself more on the variations of the different generations.
  • Like 1

Wing...

Keep a close watch at Cherrys... They had the inside track for years on Colts from the factory... They probably know as much as anybody about them and their inventory of them constantly changes... Call them and talk to 'em about the generations... They will be glad to help ya... There are also some really good books on this subject, but the titles elude me now... We've got one in the "archives" somewhere...

As to the "generation" thing; heres the "Reader's Digest Summary"...

First generation... 1873 to 1941... The "original"... Most of 'em wore out .. The ones that are left are likely put togethers...  Idiotic pricing... Buyer beware ....Plain serial number (...numbers only...)

Second generation... 1956 to 1974... Greatest of the SSA's (...i think, at least...)... Great workmanship... Stratospheric pricing... They were expensive years ago... Iv'e never seen a good second generation sell for less than $2500, and that wuz years ago... A good clean one in an original box will drive ya to your knees (...they do me, at least...)... The serial numbers (...i think...) begin with an "SA" prefix, then the numbers.. We have a low S/N New Frontier that i gave $800 for "no questions asked" ... It was bought from an ole buddy of ours probably 10 or so years ago; and the New Frontiers are considered "lesser children" by the real colt collectors...

Third generation...1976 til now... This is what the colt custom shop builds... Our's were the 1976..1978 models... They are good and semi affordable... The only big change was a solid cylinder bushing (...which the colt purists hate...) and different threads on the barrel frame assembly... The purists will tell ya they are inferior in quality to the second generations, and there is a grain of truth in that pronouncement... We've got several that have been worked over and they are the equal of any second generation ive ever seen; and i've handled quite a few... 

The serial numbers (...i think...) end with an "SA"; the numbers come first

For the money ya are gonna have to spend on a SAA, i would always handle and authenticate it... There are plenty of first generation "put togethers out there", and there used to be more than a few dishonest SAA traders...

Hope this helps a bit...

leroy

• Like 1

I would imagine handloading .45 for the colts, ubertis and cimmarons is a lot of fun. Especially with hard cast bullets

Eight to eight and a half grains of Unique and anybodies hard cast bullet 250 grains and over will shoot just fine... These guys are a bit more expensive, but their bullets are great... They are good and soft, so they will upset in the barrel... Very accurate shooters ...

http://rimrockbullets.net/index.php

If ya really want ta have some "authentic" loads... Load these bullets with black powder, but read up on the loading procedures first... We used the rimrock bullets with the black powder loads... They are great... Big "kaboom" and plenty of billowing white smoke... Real old time stuff here...

leroy

• Like 1

Would buying a Colt SA be an investment? Would it's value increase with time?  The value of my Coly 1911 seems to have increased slightly over 7 years.

Will...

This is always a hard question for me; as i always tend to shoot whatever i buy; which lowers their value... I cant imagine a Colt SAA goin down in value too much... There just aint too many of them around... Maybe some of the "real collectors" will add to the conversation with their opinions... I kinda see the SAA's like good shotguns, they never tend to go down in price...

leroy

I'm kind of diggin' this one for an intro to the world of SAA clones

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_895/products_id/411539909/Cimarron+MP512+Model+P+6RD+45LC+4.75%22

Exact copy of early 1st generation Single Action Army. Features an early Colt style hammer with early heavy knurling for a better thumb grip. No safety is visible in the hammer. Early two line patent dates on frame, serial number placement as on early Colts, parts interchange with the originals and barrel markings are sized to look like Colt. Actions are tuned to three pound trigger pull. Internal working surfaces of parts are polished. One piece walnut grips. Frames are forged steel and come Pre-War and Old Model Color Case Hardened. Blued finish.

I want one to plink around with handloads on the farm. Then I'll get a "real colt" at some point. I already have a couple of "work horse" ruger SBHs, so the clone will be for fun :) Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I dug up my old thread because I have the single action itch again. I never did get one because I kind of got on a black rifle and silencer kick there for a while :sick:, but I'm better now.

I'll start out with a clone in 45LC with 5.5bbl until I save up the funds for a Colt 

This one? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539902

or this one (when it's back in stock)? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411553504/A+UBERTI+345075+EL+PATRON+5.5.45+CC

• Like 1