Best Colt SAA clone?

Wingshooter

On 11/2/2015 at 8:07 AM, leroy said:

I would imagine handloading .45 for the colts, ubertis and cimmarons is a lot of fun. Especially with hard cast bullets

Eight to eight and a half grains of Unique and anybodies hard cast bullet 250 grains and over will shoot just fine... These guys are a bit more expensive, but their bullets are great... They are good and soft, so they will upset in the barrel... Very accurate shooters ...

http://rimrockbullets.net/index.php

If ya really want ta have some "authentic" loads... Load these bullets with black powder, but read up on the loading procedures first... We used the rimrock bullets with the black powder loads... They are great... Big "kaboom" and plenty of billowing white smoke... Real old time stuff here...

leroy

Black powder is fun. But cleaning is a lot tougher.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Well I dug up my old thread because I have the single action itch again. I never did get one because I kind of got on a black rifle and silencer kick there for a while :sick:, but I'm better now.

I'll start out with a clone in 45LC with 5.5bbl until I save up the funds for a Colt 

This one? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539902

or this one (when it's back in stock)? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411553504/A+UBERTI+345075+EL+PATRON+5.5.45+CC

Tell you what... you will appreciate the checkered grip on the Uberti. SAA's have funky ergos anyway.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Tell you what... you will appreciate the checkered grip on the Uberti. SAA's have funky ergos anyway.

Just trying to decide if I want a 4-5/8" bbl or 5.5"

I have a Ruger SBH in the 4-5/8 and 7.5" and a Ruger single six in 5.5". It's a tough call, but I think I'll go 5.5 with his one.

• Like 1

Ok. I've been close to placing an order for a clone a couple of times. I think I've decided to go a different direction.... I want the real thing! If I'm going to spend $500-$700 on a clone, I might as well spent a little more and get a new Colt. I just don't know how long I'll have to wait. Appears they're all done through the custom shop?

• Like 2

There's something simply magical about that rampant Colt emblem!:DBe glad the single action revolvers haven't quite reached the fever pitch of the Colt double action revolvers....yet.:devil:

No kidding....these are the easiest to get your money back out of.:up:

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There's something simply magical about that rampant Colt emblem!:DBe glad the single action revolvers haven't quite reached the fever pitch of the Colt double action revolvers....yet.:devil:

No kidding....these are the easiest to get your money back out of.:up:

I called Colt. They are producing about 100/month. It's going to take a little searching to find one. Given the supply/demand/quality, I have no doubt it will be worth as much or more than I pay for it as soon as I pick it up.

I'm super excited about this :D

• Like 1
On 11/1/2015 at 9:10 PM, leroy said:

Third generation...1976 til now... This is what the colt custom shop builds... Our's were the 1976..1978 models... They are good and semi affordable... The only big change was a solid cylinder bushing (...which the colt purists hate...) and different threads on the barrel frame assembly... The purists will tell ya they are inferior in quality to the second generations, and there is a grain of truth in that pronouncement... We've got several that have been worked over and they are the equal of any second generation ive ever seen; and i've handled quite a few... 

The serial numbers (...i think...) end with an "SA"; the numbers come first

Hope this helps a bit...

leroy

I called the Colt custom shop the other day to answer a few questions I had about grips, etc. I had also seen a couple of reviews online that Colt recently started making the 3rd gens more like the 2nd gens with removable cylinder bushing, etc. Some people are even unofficially refering to them as gen4. The Colt rep indeed confirmed the recent changes. This just adds to my enthusiasm to get a new one. Have you compared a recent gen3 that has gone back to the "old" design?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I called the Colt custom shop the other day to answer a few questions I had about grips, etc. I had also seen a couple of reviews online that Colt recently started making the 3rd gens more like the 2nd gens with removable cylinder bushing, etc. Some people are even unofficially refering to them as gen4. The Colt rep indeed confirmed the recent changes. This just adds to my enthusiasm to get a new one. Have you compared a recent gen3 that has gone back to the "old" design?

I've a first and second generation. I've never owned a third generation, but to me, they look as good as any other. I wasn't aware of the recent changes.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy folks. As I too am shopping for a SAA clone. I'm going to ask the fine folks here to glance over my logic.

So I was initially wanting a 7-3/4" SAA in .44 mag and a 20" lever-gun in .44mag. I happened to be looking at .44 reloading supplies at Cabelas and ran across that they sell Pietta SAAs. But no long barrel .44mag. They do however have a 5.5" .45Colt which I really liked.

SO, I shifted my thinking some. I just happened to have about $500 in Cabelas rewards points, so I'm thinking of picking up the 5.5" .45 Pietta for fun plinking. And continue shopping for a Ruger SBH .44mag, something with a stronger frame and adjustable sights for fun shooting and possibly some hunting.

Is my thinking right here?
The 5.5" .45 will be easier to shoot for fun than the .44 with magnum loads. And a 7-3/4" Ruger .44 should do a better job at longer distances or for hunting and should be able to handle reasonable rifle charges as well simplifying the ammo.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

11 minutes ago, SixShooter14 said:

Howdy folks. As I too am shopping for a SAA clone. I'm going to ask the fine folks here to glance over my logic.

So I was initially wanting a 7-3/4" SAA in .44 mag and a 20" lever-gun in .44mag. I happened to be looking at .44 reloading supplies at Cabelas and ran across that they sell Pietta SAAs. But no long barrel .44mag. They do however have a 5.5" .45Colt which I really liked.

SO, I shifted my thinking some. I just happened to have about $500 in Cabelas rewards points, so I'm thinking of picking up the 5.5" .45 Pietta for fun plinking. And continue shopping for a Ruger SBH .44mag, something with a stronger frame and adjustable sights for fun shooting and possibly some hunting.

Is my thinking right here?
The 5.5" .45 will be easier to shoot for fun than the .44 with magnum loads. And a 7-3/4" Ruger .44 should do a better job at longer distances or for hunting and should be able to handle reasonable rifle charges as well simplifying the ammo.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I don't have a .45 SAA (yet), but I do have a 7.5" Ruger SBH in 44mag. I think you're right on... the 45 with cowboy loads will be more fun even from a 5.5" than 44mag from the 7.5". The 44mag will be the hotter hunting load, although both should be adequate for TN deer. My SBH is a SS with a Mag-na ported barrel and scoped, so it weighs a good bit. The recoil on it is very manageable, and I have no trouble keeping it within a small plate at 100yds. I enjoy shooting my Ruger SBHs (I have a 4.6" and a 7.5" both in 44), but I can't wait to get the SAA .45LC for fun though.

Edited by Wingshooter

Yeah, I think a 7+" .44 would be a lot of gun for backyard plinking. Though I would definitely work up a light maybe .44special round for shooting targets. But my new direction. Really seems to fit both calibers better. A lighter/shorter .45 which is lighter shooting and I suspect easier handling for targets. And a longer heavier .44mag for hunting and 50+ yardages, and load compatibility with the .44 lever I'm planning on...

And I will be reloading for both rounds, so I can adjust the loads to fit the situation.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SixShooter14 said:

Yeah, I think a 7+" .44 would be a lot of gun for backyard plinking. Though I would definitely work up a light maybe .44special round for shooting targets. But my new direction. Really seems to fit both calibers better. A lighter/shorter .45 which is lighter shooting and I suspect easier handling for targets. And a longer heavier .44mag for hunting and 50+ yardages, and load compatibility with the .44 lever I'm planning on...

And I will be reloading for both rounds, so I can adjust the loads to fit the situation.

I also came to the conclusion that I need both. The Ruger has the strength and durabilty to handle all weather and heavy loads. The SAA and clones have the smooth 4-click actions that makes them so fun to operate. 

• Like 1

Yep, this is my first foray into revolvers. And a SAA is at the top of the list. I'm a utilitarian, so a genuine Colt is a little out of my price range when I could get several less expensive options and twice as much ammo for the same price. And not be afraid to shoot the fire out of it.

Thanks for the help. I will shift my shopping to .44mag Rugers.

How do you like that Stainless? I love my stainless rifles, but for the SAA I want blued/walnut. But the Ruger could be SS.

34 minutes ago, SixShooter14 said:

Yep, this is my first foray into revolvers. And a SAA is at the top of the list. I'm a utilitarian, so a genuine Colt is a little out of my price range when I could get several less expensive options and twice as much ammo for the same price. And not be afraid to shoot the fire out of it.

Thanks for the help. I will shift my shopping to .44mag Rugers.

How do you like that Stainless? I love my stainless rifles, but for the SAA I want blued/walnut. But the Ruger could be SS.

I like the stainless a lot. It has a Hogue grip and someone before me slicked up the action. It's a great shooter with the magna porting and a Burris 2x scope. It's my go-to deer gun if it is raining, because I can carry it with a chest holster under my rain jacket. 

My 4-5/8" Ruger is blued with the rosewood grips. It's completely stock and shoots great too. I carry it around the woods and farm sometimes.

When I get my SAA, I'm going to get case hardend / blued

here's a pic of my stainless ruger:

IMG_4493.JPG

Pic of the 2 SBHs and my single six:

IMG_4492.JPG

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

I like the stainless a lot. It has a Hogue grip and someone before me slicked up the action. It's a great shooter with the magna porting and a Burris 2x scope. It's my go-to deer gun if it is raining, because I can carry it with a chest holster under my rain jacket. 
My 4-5/8" Ruger is blued with the rosewood grips. It's completely stock and shoots great too. I carry it around the woods and farm sometimes.

When I get my SAA, I'm going to get case hardend / blued
here's a pic of my stainless ruger:
IMG_4493.thumb.JPG.d3875d6061ffe5c3b1b2b686ecf35150.JPG

Pic of the 2 SBHs and my single six:

IMG_4492.thumb.JPG.2a31f6ce0e25b599c1b79c33ca1b92a9.JPG

I just closed an auction for a SBH .44mag 7.5" blued/walnut.

And I have everything to reload .45Colt. Now I just need something to shoot them out of. Should have the .45C SAA in a week or 2.
On 10/31/2015 at 11:40 PM, Wingshooter said:

I love single-action revolvers. I would love to have a genuine Colt 1873 SAA, but they too 'spensive for a safe queen. I'll just go with a clone to start, so I can enjoy and shoot it. I've been looking at the Uberti 1873 Cattleman and Cimmeron.

What do ya recommend for a good clone? I'm interested in detail to the original Colt SAA, smooth action, and durability after I put a bunch of rounds through it. I'm thinking .45

Suggestions? Bonus points for pictures :)

Curse you. This thread made me purchase a Cimmaron Model P in 4-5/8".

And I love it.  It'll have a twin some day.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, zybysco said:

Curse you. This thread made me purchase a Cimmaron Model P in 4-5/8".

And I love it.  It'll have a twin some day.

Congrats! Pics are mandatory ya know ;)

Did you find one local in Chatt? I haven't been able to find one local. I decided to get  a new Colt now, but I can't find one at any distributors or even get Colt to place an order. 

3 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

Congrats! Pics are mandatory ya know ;)

Did you find one local in Chatt? I haven't been able to find one local. I decided to get  a new Colt now, but I can't find one at any distributors or even get Colt to place an order. 

I had to order it. If you're local, you can take a look at mine.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I see that this post has been licking around awhile, but I'll still add my two cents.

As to copy (I hate the word "clone") or Colt, I've got a number s Single Action revolvers, Ubertis, Colts, and Rugers.  Of the Colts, mine are either Colt New Frontiers or the one customized Single Action Army.  I've got one Vaquero, the rest are Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks.

The one thing that turns me off on genuine Colts is not only the original purchase price, but the additional price of the action job to get it in the same ball park as the Ruger or Ubeti.  The feel of the grip for the Colt and Uberti is about the same, but I find the Ruger Blackhawk grip better to my liking.  

But when all is said and done and the guns are fed the ammunition that best suits them, its really hard to make a choice, except when magnum performance is wanted, then its Ruger hands down.

Bob Wright 

• Like 3