Muzzleloader season

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG952059_zpslv8uv4xi.jpg.html]IMG952059_zpslv8uv4xi.jpg[/URL]

It ain't much, but it's a deer. :) (6 pointer)

This morning was the first fit weather for deer hunting since muzzleloader season opened in my opinion. The deer were stirring.

Ruger, I told you you'd get that 8 pointer. Was it the same one you think?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Well I have to tell the story. This is all but after he's down because during the adrenaline is the only time I can't remember due to aftershock shakes! 

I was pretty mad as I drove in to park as I could see it was about to break day. I'd planned on being in the stand well before even a hint of daybreak showed. So from the truck I walked and with each step I debated 1) go to the ladder stand because I'm late and that will be quieter and quicker to disturb less or 2) Climb up in the climber on the back of the property while making noise and possibly scare something off as the break of day arises. I had literally already started walking towards the right deciding to get in the ladder, but my left foot reared back and my body followed right to the climber.  I tightened the foot straps on the platform a little more than they had been and it was a little more quiet so that was good. I think I forgot to mention that it was pretty dang cold out there this morning  :rofl: So I get set up, primer in the muzzle loader and imagine every shadow I see is a deer as the sun starts to awaken the woods. It was pretty quiet for the next hour until the squirrels had their first serving of crack filled cuts and then the woods were alive. I don't know about y'all but sometimes when I use a grunt call, the only thing I can think of is "Is this gonna scare the deer over the hill away?". So I don't use it a whole lot, but have been practicing short low tone grunts and since rut activity is up I add a bleat or two in between 6 or 7 short grunts. I did this about 3 times in sets of 20 seconds each. After that, the old me said "Hey, you've probably scared every deer for a mile so shut up and wait!" So 5 or so minutes later I hear CHH CHH CHH CHH right behind me and assume it's the squirrel that's been up in my tree for half an hour or so. Nope! I turn left slowly just to whisper a cuss word at the squirrel and 3 yards behind my stand walks out this buck. I about crapped my pants I was so surprised even though I've had deer appear out of nowhere before but not in spitting distance from me. The climber is bow stand so no gun rail, which meant the ML was in my hands already. As I raise it up to my shoulder I watch this buck, head straight up, ears forward, and slow forceful steps and it hits me. He came in to find that "buck and doe" he heard! In the 5 seconds it took to get the scope in front of my eye he was at 11 yards. I mouthed another grunt and he stopped to look back. I squeezed the trigger and he donkey kicked and turned with his tail tucked. I'm still not relieved yet but when he runs face first in the fence and drops to the ground I felt good. He stood back up, ran straight through the middle two pieces of barbed wire and ran a bout 22 yards from where I shot him and crashed.......THEN the adrenaline turned me into a jack in the box with extra strength spring! As I start to calm down (a little) I realize that I didn't have time to really stare at his rack but then realized it didn't matter because the thought in my head was that it was a 6 or 8 and I was fine with either. So, since I heard it crash I started quietly and shaking, I begin to pack up my bag and hook up the line to my ML to lower it. I waited about 10 minutes after that and watched the woods as I eased down ever so quietly and slowly just in case. I ease out to where the shot was and no blood but as I walked left I started seeing it. Looked forward and I could see him laying there. So I stood there for a while longer while texting my wife to tell her before easing up to him. As you can see it's an 8 point and he's a beautiful buck and weighed 110 dressed out. I call my buddy who lives down the road and was gonna throw him in the truck bed and haul him to his house and gut him in the back field since I was gonna stop by and show him the deer anyway. I tried to put him the back and no go LMAO! I decided to just do it there then he'd be easier to get up on my tailgate. I was cutting away the diaphragm with my Hen & Rooster bone handled knife and sliced the crap out of my thumb. Laid it open pretty good but thankfully I've carried a first aid kit for years just in case. Glad I'd decided to do that a long time ago because this time I needed it. All is good now but the way it was bleeding I was worried I was gonna have to have stitches. Gotta have a little excitement in every story I guess, and that knife is sharp enough to provide it if you're not careful. 

Next I'm on the way to down the road thinking how good lookin of a buck he is but not thinking he's mount worthy as I have a couple with similar racks. Later my wife called and was upset that I didn't get him mounted because he was the "best looking buck you've killed" HAHA Ain't that how it goes? Anyway, she and my daughter are both very happy for me after all these hours in the woods and also glad to have meat in the freezer. I love seeing them happy about it! Alright enough is enough, here's my harvest and I'm very proud of this harvest. My self done pictures leave something to be desired but timer on cell phone, this is all I can do. Thanks for reading my story, I enjoyed living it today in the woods that God created and thankful for another safe return from hunting!

20151114_081928_zpsrpwbvcay.jpg

20151114_075655_zpsoqlnq7h8.jpg

20151114_081354_zpstccvht8l.jpg

20151114_081445_zpsl8eiv2cn.jpg

• Like 5

IMG952059_zpslv8uv4xi.jpg

It ain't much, but it's a deer. :) (6 pointer)

This morning was the first fit weather for deer hunting since muzzleloader season opened in my opinion. The deer were stirring.

Ruger, I told you you'd get that 8 pointer. Was it the same one you think?

Hey! Congrats! No, the other one was a lot bigger rack and way heavier mass. But I'm absolutely happy! Glad you got one today, and agree on this being the first fit day for hunting.

That's a nice buck, ruger! I had to shoot mine four times. :shake: I didn't know what' I'd done until I finally killed him. There were four nicely patterned 1/2" holes right behind his shoulder. He must have been the toughest deer on the farm.

Thanks Greg!

Wow, 4 times??? Was he still walking between any of those shots?

I shot this 8pt around 8:30 this am. He came down the trail looking for love. I sprayed some rinks in a scrape and on a couple fallen logs on my way in. He came right to the log which was at nose level.

He kinda got jittery and acted like he was going to turn and go back the way he came. He presented a quartering to me shot. I put it on his shoulder knowing it would hit him I'm the ribs/ liver. Which it did.

I found him about 15 minutes later after I quit shaking. I'm stoked! First deer for me in a couple of years. I didn't have this guy on film.

20151114_101929_zps3mfzibz6.jpg

20151114_102020_zpsfqawrma8.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I shot this 8pt around 8:30 this am. He came down the trail looking for love. I sprayed some rinks in a scrape and on a couple fallen logs on my way in. He came right to the log which was at nose level.

He kinda got jittery and acted like he was going to turn and go back the way he came. He presented a quartering to me shot. I put it on his shoulder knowing it would hit him I'm the ribs/ liver. Which it did.

I found him about 15 minutes later after I quit shaking. I'm stoked! First deer for me in a couple of years. I didn't have this guy on film.

20151114_101929_zps3mfzibz6.jpg

20151114_102020_zpsfqawrma8.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Congrats Taco! When the shaking quits, I'll quit hunting! I literally can't stand up sometimes I get so shaky! Good looking buck ya got there!

• Like 1

I could not go out this morning. So my cousin and his son went to were we normally hunt. His son is the one I called an a hole a couple of weeks ago when i posted the 11 pt he shot in bow season.

He decides to get in the ladder stand I put up three weeks ago. So what does the little a hole do, he shoots a 10 pt from my stand. Told you he was an a hole. Lol. Actually I am really happy for him. He has had a great year.

To add insult to injury, his dad shot a nice 8 pt 30 minutes later.

Man I wish I could have gotten out this morning.

b8587f7e8d0eaca1cba8074c5d1119ca.jpg
5da2ee8d232810d6d54fa2e266f8916e.jpg

• Like 5

I could not go out this morning. So my cousin and his son went to were we normally hunt. His son is the one I called an a hole a couple of weeks ago when i posted the 11 pt he shot in bow season.
He decides to get in the ladder stand I put up three weeks ago. So what does the little a hole do, he shoots a 10 pt from my stand. Told you he was an a hole. Lol. Actually I am really happy for him. He has had a great year.
To add insult to injury, his dad shot a nice 8 pt 30 minutes later.
Man I wish I could have gotten out this morning. b8587f7e8d0eaca1cba8074c5d1119ca.jpg5da2ee8d232810d6d54fa2e266f8916e.jpg

I retract my statement about telling him congrats but not to call him an a hole..He definitely is! :lol: But seriously, congrats to both of them and hope you're next in line to be an a hole... (trying to jinx you into getting a monster)!

Out on my land. Had this guy come through but got past before I could close the deal. Heard him in the thick stuff on a ridge behind me. Keep playing with the call. He walks straight to me about 30 yrds off. I take a shot and primer cap no fire. Held him in my scope as I reached up to recock. Thankfully he was kind enough to hold still. This time she fires. Dropped him where he stood.

Small 8 point.

image_1.jpeg

Edited by Dad03
  • Like 5

Out on my land. Had this guy come through but got past before I could close the deal. Heard him in the thick stuff on a ridge behind me. Keep playing with the call. He walks straight to me about 30 yrds off. I take a shot and primer cap no fire. Held him in my scope as I reached up to recock. Thankfully he was kind enough to hold still. This time she fires. Dropped him where he stood.
Small 8 point.

image_1.jpeg

Don't always get that 2nd chance, bet you're glad you did huh? Congratulations!

I hunted yesterday and saw lots of deer. Several doe with yearlings and a small 6 and a small 8, but no sightings of the deer that is rubbing the trees the size of my waist. I'll be paitient and hope he shows up. Congrats to all the folks taking deer. 

• Like 1

I have decided I am too lazy to hunt anymore. Being the last day of ML season I decided I would take my ML to work with me today and attempt an afternoon hunt after work. Well as soon as I got off work I see two does feeding towards the spot I was going to hunt. I slipped down there and watched them feed about 60 yards away. Decided I didn't want to clean a deer or my ML tonight so I just came home. I am a sad excuse for a hunter. LOL

• Like 2