When Shipping a Handgun.......

luvmyberetta

...what shipper have you used & which do you prefer? For the first time I recently shipped a handgun & will probably have to sell a couple more & may have to ship them too. I hear guys talk about being able to ship overnight for $30-$40, but UPS & FedEx have quoted me more than double that price. So far UPS & FedEx estimates for overnight run anywhere from $70-$100 & 2nd day air runs around $40-$60 to most parts of the country. My local gun shop & a local gun smith offer shipping through the post office, but charge an additional $25 fee on top of the actual shipping charge. What do you guys suggest?

Edited by luvmyberetta

I have shipped UPS and I don't recall it being that expensive, but that was a couple of years ago.

The catch22 with USPS is you cannot take a handgun on USPS property.......but........I do not see why you cannot set up a shipping account online and have your postal delivery person pick up at your home, that's what  your FFL does anyway. 

...what shipper have you used & which do you prefer? For the first time I recently shipped a handgun & will probably have to sell a couple more & may have to ship them too. I hear guys talk about being able to ship overnight for $30-$40, but UPS & FedEx have quoted me more than double that price. So far UPS & FedEx estimates for overnight run anywhere from $70-$100 & 2nd day air runs around $40-$60 to most parts of the country. My local gun shop & a local gun smith offer shipping through the post office, but charge an additional $25 fee on top of the actual shipping charge. What do you guys suggest?

That does sound high. Last couple times I did handgun I used UPS, but I have account through PayPal and printed my own label, was around the $30 price best I remember. But based on distance of course. I think it might be a bit cheaper than counter price, but not hugely so.

Note that Second Day air is not Overnight, which they require for handguns sent from an individual. Also, if going to a larger population area, there is a secondary cheaper overnight called Next Day Air Saver, just guaranteed by end of biz day. Not available to some places though, only the higher priced spread.

You can also just create shipment and pay on line and print label without an account, plug in the numbers and see what it shows.

If you want to PM me the size and weight and address, I'll plug it in and see what it costs, just to compare what they are quoting you and/or the price you get when you pay on line without an account.

I assume this is going to an FFL? (neither UPS or FedEx will now ship any firearm between non-licensees)

The catch22 with USPS is you cannot take a handgun on USPS property.......but........I do not see why you cannot set up a shipping account online and have your postal delivery person pick up at your home, that's what your FFL does anyway.

Dude, non FFL/LEA can't ship a handgun through USPS period.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?  

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Q&A Category: 

Well, there you go.

That does sound high. Last couple times I did handgun I used UPS, but I have account through PayPal and printed my own label, was around the $30 price best I remember. But based on distance of course. I think it might be a bit cheaper than counter price, but not hugely so.

Note that Second Day air is not Overnight, which they require for handguns sent from an individual. Also, if going to a larger population area, there is a secondary cheaper overnight called Next Day Air Saver, just guaranteed by end of biz day. Not available to some places though, only the higher priced spread.

If you want to PM me the size and weight and address, I'll plug it in and see what it costs, just to compare what they are quoting you.

I assume this is going to an FFL? (neither UPS or FedEx will now ship any firearm between non-licensees)

- OS

I've done it. Wouldn't recommend it, but, done it.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?  

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Q&A Category: 

Well, there you go.

Legal is one thing, actually being able to do it is another.

However, if you obey both federal law and terms of UPS/FedEx, there is no way anymore to ship any firearm between unlicensed individuals using either service, period, or even to yourself care of another individual. There is now no way to do same with a handgun, even including USPS.

- OS

I've done it. Wouldn't recommend it, but, done it.

No, I never recommend committing a federal crime either, nor would I admit to having done so on a public forum, but that's just me. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Legal is one thing, actually being able to do it is another.

However, if you obey both federal law and terms of UPS/FedEx, there is no way anymore to ship any firearm between unlicensed individuals using either service, period, or even to yourself care of another individual. There is now no way to do same with a handgun, even including USPS.

No, I never recommend committing a felony either, nor would I admit to having committed one on a public forum. :)

- OS

Many years ago, and the FFL accepted it. 

No one can prove anything.  :P 

Last time I shipped a firearm I used UPS but let me warn you of this which I was not aware of. UPS will open your package with you standing right their to make sure you are not shipping ammo with the firearm. So with that in mind just package it up but don't seal it. They will do that for you while you watch. I was shipping firearm to an FFL dealer in Minnesota and buyer picked it up there. It cost $38.50 plus insurance of $5.50 to ship it. Another thing, you cannot use a satellite UPS store to ship it. You have to take it to a UPS Hub to ship it. I tried a local store and they informed me that only a HUB could ship firearms. Had to drive to Elm Hill Pike to ship it........JM.. :2cents:

• Like 1

Last time I shipped a firearm I used UPS but let me warn you of this which I was not aware of. UPS will open your package with you standing right their to make sure you are not shipping ammo with the firearm. So with that in mind just package it up but don't seal it. They will do that for you while you watch. I was shipping firearm to an FFL dealer in Minnesota and buyer picked it up there. It cost $38.50 plus insurance of $5.50 to ship it. Another thing, you cannot use a satellite UPS store to ship it. You have to take it to a UPS Hub to ship it. I tried a local store and they informed me that only a HUB could ship firearms. Had to drive to Elm Hill Pike to ship it........JM.. :2cents:

Pay online and print your own label, drop off at UPS store, no questions, no prob. It seems those rules are only for counter paid shipments, and as long as it's not going between non-licensees and is sent via correct class, you haven't broken UPS TOS,  or federal law by not notifying either. Just plop it on the counter and leave. They're more than happy to take it.  Or you can pay some extra and have it picked up.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Pay online and print your own label, drop off at UPS store, no questions, no prob. Just plop it on the counter and leave. They're more than happy to take it.  Or you can pay some extra and have it picked up.

- OS

As long as they don't know what it is.... lol

Was in a UPS store that other day and ended up in a friendly dissusion with the clerk there as she refused to help ship a rifle for a lady there... When I told the lady to go to the Post Office the clerk tried telling me that the USPO wouldn't do it either. When I asked her how she knew this info to be true she replyed that is what she was told by her manager and that all firearms could only be shipped by gun stores..... She didn't seem to like being told that she and her manager were both very wrong....

Thanks for all the replies. Before listing another handgun on a forum besides TGO, I'll check with a few other FFLs to see how much they charge to use the USPS in the future. I used UPS & when I told the clerk it was a handgun she said they would have to open it once it reached the HUB to inspect it, which is about 60 miles away. I said that they shouldn't have to open it for a second inspection. She said they usually just mark them as "tools" & suggested sending it by 2-day air, which was $42. Overnight was going to be $114 after tax & the store's drop off fee. Gladly, it made it safely to it's destination, but I was stressing about it the whole time. If I ever have to ship again it's going into the hands of a FFL I trust to take care of arranging shipping for me.

. I used UPS & when I told the clerk it was a handgun she said they would have to open it once it reached the HUB to inspect it, which is about 60 miles away. I said that they shouldn't have to open it for a second inspection.She said they usually just mark them as "tools" & suggested sending it by 2-day air, which was $42.....

A UPS clerk told you all that?  If so, wow, there is so much wrong with her whole statement.

-  except for hazmat/ormd and similar, no package is to be "marked" as anything on outside, and firearms are never to be marked as such as per both federal law and UPS ToS.

-  if a package is lost or damaged in the system, UPS will not pay a claim for a package not sent according to ToS, which includes correct shipping class, and handguns are to be shipped by individuals as some form of overnight, period

Also, can't speak for UPS but can tell you that handguns sent Ground through FedEx have a high rate of being "lost". The sorters, loaders, and drivers all know the local gunstores on receiving end and notice, know what I mean? And like UPS, since FedEx won't pay a claim for a handgun sent wrong class, well, a certain amount of graft is just overlooked when it doesn't cost the company anything.

-  sounds like she's saying the paperwork at retail counters designates the item as firearm, which must be included in the scan, otherwise nobody up the line wouldn't know to inspect it, if that's true at all.  Course, that whole part sounds dodgy to begin with, as at least in larger cities, must be accepted at a hub to begin with if using retail counter. All of which is avoided by using online payment and label printing.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I used golf club boxes from the dumpster of Golfsmith and the like for rifles. 

As to the labels and store names, if the FFL was 'Acme Shooting Sports', I simply used the name Acme Sports. 

No one knew any better.

Shipped more than 30 rifles over the years that way.

Edited by Shepherd Master

A UPS clerk told you all that?  If so, wow, there is so much wrong with her whole statement.

-  except for hazmat/ormd and similar, no package is to be "marked" as anything on outside, and firearms are never to be marked as such as per both federal law and UPS ToS.

-  if a package is lost or damaged in the system, UPS will not pay a claim for a package not sent according to ToS, which includes correct shipping class, and handguns are to be shipped by individuals as some form of overnight, period

Also, can't speak for UPS but can tell you that handguns sent Ground through FedEx have a high rate of being "lost". The sorters, loaders, and drivers all know the local gunstores on receiving end and notice, know what I mean? And like UPS, since FedEx won't pay a claim for a handgun sent wrong class, well, a certain amount of graft is just overlooked when it doesn't cost the company anything.

-  sounds like she's saying the paperwork at retail counters designates the item as firearm, which must be included in the scan, otherwise nobody up the line wouldn't know to inspect it, if that's true at all.  Course, that whole part sounds dodgy to begin with, as at least in larger cities, must be accepted at a hub to begin with if using retail counter. All of which is avoided by using online payment and label printing.

- OS

The above is why I'm going to let a FFL handle everything in the future when it comes to shipping. The HUB is a 3-4 hour round trip for me so that's pretty much out of the question. My local UPS drop off point is at a drug store. The fact that overnight was going to be well over $100 had me in shock since I've heard guys say that shipping averages $35-$30 in most cases. I even had to drive 100 miles round trip to an out of town post office to get the "U.S. Postal MO" cashed because all three of my local post offices claimed they didn't have enough funds for it, which I know was B.S. That's one of the problems with living in a remote area.

• Like 1
I’m not shipping a firearm without declaring it. That being said; I was turned down at the UPS terminal in Murfreesboro by the “Security Officer”. He told me he could only accept it from a non FFL if it was going to a manufacturer for repair. I called the 800 number and they told me that was not correct, but that would not overturn his decision on a firearm shipment. That was a few years ago and I’m sure he isn’t there anymore, but it goes to show they can decide whatever they feel like at the time.

I think FedEx is the only ones that will ship a gun without a bunch of non-sense.

I’m not shipping a firearm without declaring it. That being said; I was turned down at the UPS terminal in Murfreesboro by the “Security Officer”. He told me he could only accept it from a non FFL if it was going to a manufacturer for repair. I called the 800 number and they told me that was not correct, but that would not overturn his decision on a firearm shipment. That was a few years ago and I’m sure he isn’t there anymore, but it goes to show they can decide whatever they feel like at the time.

I think FedEx is the only ones that will ship a gun without a bunch of non-sense.

It's funny you brought that up. I actually called FedEx first to arrange a pick up & was told by the rep that FedEx cannot ship firearms unless it's FFL to FFL. I asked the guy to double check for me & he told that he "didn't need to look it up" because he already knew the rules. That's the main reason I went with UPS in the first place. Some of these companies need to concentrate on training & customer service.

It's funny you brought that up. I actually called FedEx first to arrange a pick up & was told by the rep that FedEx cannot ship firearms unless it's FFL to FFL. I asked the guy to double check for me & he told that he "didn't need to look it up" because he already knew the rules. That's the main reason I went with UPS in the first place. Some of these companies need to concentrate on training & customer service.

Youd be how surprised the small amount of training is actually given. Quite sad actually. Now you know why your packages are dented in 10 different spots.

I’m not shipping a firearm without declaring it.

Ha. Their ToS is not to ship one between non-licensees, that's for sure, just like UPS. As per LuvMy, YMMV on the rest, too. Also just like UPS. Or USPS, too, who can actually be the worst, depending on the idiot you may draw at the counter.

As far as declaration, federal law only requires notification when shipping between non-licensees. It's not a crime to not notify a shipper otherwise, their ToS be damned.

Just make sure you ship a heater by the proper class, that's the part UPS/FedEx can burn you on if it becomes "missing".

- OS