Handgun Education Spreadsheet

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

Just an idea I have bouncing around in my head. Does anyone know where I can find or have a spreadsheet that has the basics, some of the bells and whistles of the most popular handguns?

My thinking is that it would have the Glocks, XD's, Sigs', H&K's, Taurus, Colt's, SA, Kimber, etc, all the main types that are basically on the market today that are the most popular or most widely used and it would be , plastic ones, 1911's, even some revolvers.

Information would include, size (service, sub compact, etc), how many rounds, SA/DA, decocker, ambidextrous options for you lefties!, etc.

Does anyone have info like this on hand or is it something that would have to be built? I for one want to know more about different handguns that are out there and a quick reference sheet would be great.

Ideas appreciated and welcomed.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I developed a spreadsheet a long time ago which quantifies the dimensions, capacity, caliber, and average price into a 'score', which is then compared to my own individual subjective ratings of each handgun's Ergonomics and Class/Size (so it is compared to other similar guns).

I'm always tweaking it, attempting to create an easy way to rank a large list of handguns by type, purpose, and desirability/value... The average score of handguns from specific manufacturers is factored in to each individual handgun's score from that manufacturer, thus creating some brand-recognition into the selection process... The price of the handgun is then compared to the average price of the other handguns in the same class, and based on its ranking by comparison, a boolean generates an indication of whether it would be a 'worthwhile' purchase, given its unique qualities.

I can certainly modify it to categorize by the additional features you have listed... so far I have been merely generalizing those things based on my perception of a given handgun's overall 'Ergonomics', which I rate on a 5-point scale. I can even add more specific subjective criteria, such as for the trigger, grip, other controls, sights, etc... individually. This would create a database which was customizable to the preferences of the person using it, provided the time was taken to rate each pistol...

I've got over a hundred handguns in the database now, and over 20 criteria for each which their rankings are based upon... I have been using it personally in the selection of several of my purchases in the last 2 years.

Yeah... go ahead and say it, I know... I'm a nerd.

But, I'll mess with it some more this week... I'll make it available for sarcastic criticism in a couple days.

MolonlabeTN, this sounds awesome. Please share it with us when you can.

I have seen charts of a single company's offerings using some of the criteria mentioned (Glock has a nice one for their pistols), but one where you can compare across brands would be highly useful.

Developing individual (subjective) criteria is also great, and each use of the 'sheet can factor those issues as he/she prefers. For example, we all have different preferences in grip. What suits me might not suit you, so since the 'sheet can be adjusted for that, it is a valuable tool.

I guess I'm admitting my nerdness here as well, but I'm envious -and angry I didnt think of it first!! :stare:

Guest db99wj

I would love to see that MolonlabeTN as well. Interested to see it before I get too involved. Check you pm's.

I have started a spreadsheet with these titles,

Make

Model

Size

Length (barrel)

Action

Round Size

Capacity

Safety

Material

So far I have XD's, Glocks, Sigs, H&K's and Smith & Wesson's. I don't have all the information listed above like the safety, capacity and action on all of them, not sure how long this will take, but I'm in no hurry and I don't have that much spare time. We will see how this goes.

Guest db99wj

Yes I am, that is a major component of what I am looking for. Smith's, Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, etc. One of my next purchases will be a 1911, I just have to save twice as much and at least twice as long as I did for my XD!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed. Many thanks.:D

(Clearly someone has too much free time on his hands!)

-Len

Updated a few things. Same link above.
Guest Phantom6
I've got it tweaked enough to be somewhat user friendly... Warning, lots of data.

HANDGUN FEATURES DATABASE

Not to be picky because that sure is a lot of data but you have the Springfield XD9 service listed as non ambidextrous. What criteria are you using for ambidextrous? Did they change the way they make 'em? Mine has ambi mag release.

Not to be picky because that sure is a lot of data but you have the Springfield XD9 service listed as non ambidextrous. What criteria are you using for ambidextrous? Did they change the way they make 'em? Mine has ambi mag release.

:up:

You make an excellent point,sir... I can't believe that I missed that.

I have fixed the listings for the XDs, Walther P99s, SW99s, Glock 21SF, and a couple others which I had incorrectly listed as not having any ambi controls at all...

Thanks for catching that!

Guest EasilyObsessed
I've got it tweaked enough to be somewhat user friendly... Warning, lots of data.

HANDGUN FEATURES DATABASE

If I get really bored this upcoming week (as it appears I might be), would you mind if I created an online version based off your format? Been looking for a project to try out some different things on and I cant think of a better project than something related to guns. I am thinking something along the lines of a user/password site where people could rate based on the criteria you have set up and then display averages and standard deviations of rankings.

Not sure I agree with your characterization of Glock triggers as "SAO," even after reading your note. Not sure I disagree either. Might be semantics, might not be. Gonna have to ponder this a bit...

Updated again... added a field which identified the firing mechanism useage (DA/SA, SAO, DAO...)
Not sure I agree with your characterization of Glock triggers as "SAO," even after reading your note. Not sure I disagree either. Might be semantics, might not be. Gonna have to ponder this a bit...

Well, in practice, what is the difference between a Glock trigger pull and a Browning HP trigger pull? They are similar weight, neither can strike without first racking the slide, and there is no re-strike capability.

I my mind, that's single action.

I mean, technically, pulling the trigger on an XD or M&P retracts the striker about 1/64" before releasing it... one is classified as single-action, the other DAO...

If 75% pre-cocked can be called DAO, then so can 99%.

But, honestly, it's best to define operations from the point of view of the user. Neither system can fully cock the firing mechanism, or re-strike without another independant operation (racking the slide).

I see where you guys are going with this, and the GunTec dictionary supports your view:

Definition for "single action" : A firearm in which the trigger performs only one action, which is to release the hammer or striker.

Definition for "double action" : (DA) A firearm action where a single trigger pull both cocks and drops the hammer. (note the lack of the word "striker" here)

My concern is that (to me at least, and to anyone taking a basic pistol class) is that the term "single action" implies that the shooter must perform two functions to fire the gun. This is not true with a Glock (even with a first shot if the slide has been previously racked. Its recommended that Glocks be carried in +1 configuration, so pulling the trigger does it all at when the time to fire presents itself.)

Check out the split or transparent view at the following animation:

http://www.sniperworld.com/glock/

This is not a typical SA.

It would be confusing for a new student to call a Glock a single action. Glock itself prefers the term "Glock action" or "Glock safe action" implying it is neither SA or DA, not quite DAO, and certainly not DA/SA.

I'm willing to let this dog lie.

yeah... I agree that there should be a common designation for un-conventional striker-fired mechanisms.

As it is, all we have are the biased nomenclature given by the manufacturers ("Quick-Action", "USA", "Safe-Action", etc....), and the closest comparisons to conventional systems we can make, based on how the systems operate from the point of view of the shooter.

I agree that neither Glocks nor P99QA nor XD nor M&P are technically either DAO or SAO... but in practice do emulate one, and not offer some capability of the other.

If I get really bored this upcoming week (as it appears I might be), would you mind if I created an online version based off your format? Been looking for a project to try out some different things on and I cant think of a better project than something related to guns. I am thinking something along the lines of a user/password site where people could rate based on the criteria you have set up and then display averages and standard deviations of rankings.

Sorry, I just noticed this question. I have no problem with open use of this database, it is publicly available information... All I did was compile it in a single document. I add firearms frequently

I'm sure it can be made more user-friendly, I just don't have the time or inclination... be my guest! :2cents: