Terror attack in France

Raoul

• Admin Team
While I wont claim to be a religious scholar, I did have a religious education.

Most of my bible seems to point towards the Gospel, and I'm definitely not seeing that here - either in this thread or in our actions towards those who aren't like us. Truthfully, my reading of the Old Testament seems to be pretty concerned with the treatment of the foreigner/strangers in our midst.

There will always be folks who look to use religion to further their own power - I just don't see reading the bible like some secret code book pointing towards white conservative American superiority.
  • Like 7

I will say, this group definitely has a contingent of critical thinkers who are among the best.  The dynamics and facets of perspective/perception are awesome. 

I can envision this group doing their thing on Mars Hill of old.  

I've been out of school and church for long enough to have forgotten much of what I studied.

Throughout America's history, Americans have believed, and indoctrinated children to believe that we are superior to other countries, from post colonization, to Manifest Destiny, and beyond.

And, since a country is just an inanimate object made up of the people who live there, wouldn't this mean that we've all been taught that America's people are superior to the people of other countries?

*Edited to add that I strayed from your comment about the Bible somehow teaching that Americans are superior, to the fact that it seems to me we are all taught from an early age that America is superior to other countries.

How else then could we justify using a nuclear weapon to wipe another group off the face of the Earth, unless we think we're superior to them?

I'm not saying we should nuke all Muslims, just that that's the only way to "win", if winning means stopping the threat (at least for a generation). 

This has got me thinking for the first time how it might have effected me were I a part of the military or our government or even the adult generation that was responsible for dropping the nukes on Japan.

"Quote"This has got me thinking for the first time how it might have effected me were I a part of the military or our government or even the adult generation that was responsible for dropping the nukes on Japan."

My father was a very good friend of the pilot that flew the Enola Gay that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima Japan. This is an article from a report after he dropped the bomb.

200_Van-Kirk.jpg

Air Force captain Theodore "Dutch" Van Kirk did not know the destructive force of the nuclear bomb before Hiroshima. He was 24 years old at that time, a veteran of 58 missions in North Africa. Paul Tibbets told him this mission would shorten or end the war, but Van Kirk had heard that line before. Hiroshima made him a believer. Van Kirk felt the bombing of Hiroshima was worth the price in that it ended the war before the invasion of Japan, which promised to be devastating to both sides.

Seems since he likely had purely Levantine Jewish ancestry, Jesus would likely be a couple of shades too dark to pass a white supremacist's muster.  Any number of mainstream Christians would probably be at least taken aback, too. :)

FWIW, the BBC/Discovery forensic anthropology type "restoration":

54c80aa6d2610_-_face-of-jesus-01-0312-de

- OS

You got that right. I can't recall where it is in The Bible right now, but it is written in the new testament that Jesus was plain-looking. I chuckle at the people who look at the painting, (well, copies of it anyway), of an artist's rendition of what Jesus looked like that was painted hundreds of years after He died and think it really is a picture of Jesus.

• Like 2

You got that right. I can't recall where it is in The Bible right now, but it is written in the new testament that Jesus was plain-looking. I chuckle at the people who look at the painting, (well, copies of it anyway), of an artist's rendition of what Jesus looked like that was painted hundreds of years after He died and think it really is a picture of Jesus.

This is the most popular one I grew up around, at least among Baptists. How could them folks not like hippies too? :)

The_Head_of_Christ_by_Warner_Sallman_194

- OS

My conclusion, unless you go into actual meaningful discussion rather than point, jab, and deflect, is that you identify yourself as one of the "super sects" of Christianity or Judaism. I am not familiar with all of these so I cannot comment, but it seems to fit. Unless you are a political troll or undercover Muslim.

I'm affiliated with no one, no sect, no cult, no church.

Oh, well thanks for explaining that.

I'd pull out my handy dandy Constitution pocketbook and thank God that it exists, but I suppose God would not approve of all those pesky little freedoms guaranteed in there. Instead, I'll just thank the founding fathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are guaranteed nothing. 

And you have lost most of what you think you have.

Wow, "non-Caucasian peoples have no souls and therefore can never earn God's favor or be saved" and such.

And I thought maybe he was just a misguided Pastafarian or something. ;)

- OS

Who said anything about race?

Wasn't me.

This is the most popular one I grew up around, at least among Baptists. How could them folks not like hippies too? :)

The_Head_of_Christ_by_Warner_Sallman_194

- OS

What part of the second Commandment don't  you understand?

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am o jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of then that hate me; and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.' Exod 20: 4-6.

Edited by Shepherd Master

What part of the second Commandment don't  you understand?

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am o jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of then that hate me; and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.' Exod 20: 4-6.

Yer very far indeed from preachin to the choir by chiding me with that. :)

- OS

• Like 1

Actually not in the NT, but the OT-

Isiah 53:2

He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

@Shepherd Master

Unless you care to further explain what you actually do believe, I'm calling this.

You follow something along the lines Messianic Judaism. You have a mixing of the above "White Identity" whether you realize it or not, sometimes it is easy to go along with a belief you have been sold on without entirely identifying with the root; I am not yet sure how deep your root in Christian Identity is.

You believe that Jesus was and is the Messiah, but you also want to bring along the traditions of the Jews along with it such as dietary restrictions, Saturday Sabbath, etc.

You are Irish, Dan. You find conflicting emotions from this because you feel you are hated for that reason.

I suspect you do believe something along the lines that non-caucasians have no soul. This would explain your eagerness to go shoot vans of Syrians, because in your mind their destiny is sealed and have no chance of anything but perish.

You wouldn't lie for a 5% discount claiming that you are Christian, so I wouldn't expect you to lie here. But I do suspect you will not quickly own up to what you do believe.

What I believe is precisely what the Scriptures say. 

Not what man says it says. 

I reject the traditions of man, christianity and judaism and paganism. 

as to the 5% discount? My faith is not for sale. Money changers come to mind, hypocrisy. 

I have no idea where you get that non whites have no soul? Soul is the entire being.......it must be the spirit you are referring to...?

As for my identity? 

This is my identity-

Exodus 31:13

"Say to the Israelites, 'You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.

Yes, I keep the Sabbath, the 7th day. 

The Mark of the Beast is the 1st day (sunday). 

• Admin Team

I've been out of school and church for long enough to have forgotten much of what I studied.
Throughout America's history, Americans have believed, and indoctrinated children to believe that we are superior to other countries, from post colonization, to Manifest Destiny, and beyond.
And, since a country is just an inanimate object made up of the people who live there, wouldn't this mean that we've all been taught that America's people are superior to the people of other countries?

*Edited to add that I strayed from your comment about the Bible somehow teaching that Americans are superior, to the fact that it seems to me we are all taught from an early age that America is superior to other countries.
How else then could we justify using a nuclear weapon to wipe another group off the face of the Earth, unless we think we're superior to them?
I'm not saying we should nuke all Muslims, just that that's the only way to "win", if winning means stopping the threat (at least for a generation).
This has got me thinking for the first time how it might have effected me were I a part of the military or our government or even the adult generation that was responsible for dropping the nukes on Japan.

I think it is kind of what you get when you let Western indivualism and the American dream run amok in Christianity. We've somehow allowed ourselves to believe that America is special and God wants us all to be happy.

I wish God wanted me to have a beach house. Problem is, that's not how it works. And, I'm not so sure that Jesus cares about me living my best life now or any of that other self help drivel we've watered the Gospel down into.

Turns out that the prophetic voice is pretty strong - even today - even against America.

American exceptionalism is based on the theory that we're better because of our recognition and respect for certain rights that are "endowed by the creator."

It sure doesn't seem like we believe that this week, does it?

I was in 1WTC the morning of September 11. For nine months, I looked at this beacon of hope out across the water every morning as a part of the rescue and recovery effort. I carried that image with me as my travels took me around the world in the so called global war on terror. But, all these years later we may as well free up some space in New York harbor. It's clear we no longer have a use for that old statue.

While I wont claim to be a religious scholar, I did have a religious education.

Most of my bible seems to point towards the Gospel, and I'm definitely not seeing that here - either in this thread or in our actions towards those who aren't like us. Truthfully, my reading of the Old Testament seems to be pretty concerned with the treatment of the foreigner/strangers in our midst.

There will always be folks who look to use religion to further their own power - I just don't see reading the bible like some secret code book pointing towards white conservative American superiority.

The Gospel can be found in Genesis. 

I won't bother with that here, most are not interested anyway. 

There is really nothing new regarding the NT. Besides, it's one testament, not two. 

As to amerikan superiority? that's your assertion. 

Blessings have always been lands. This land was a blessing, the blessing has since been removed. 

FWIW-

Someone posted Mark 7, this has nothing to do with meat/pork or unclean meats/foods. 

That Which Defiles

The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.[a])

So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”

He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;

their teachings are merely human rules.’[b]

You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

----------------------

Here-

Isaiah 66:17

They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

It's my perception that the one tree in the midst is the crucifix, pagan symbol. (Messiah was actually murdered on a stake, not a cross)

Pig eaters will be destroyed. They refuse to follow God's instruction.

• Moderators

FWIW-

Someone posted Mark 7, this has nothing to do with meat/pork or unclean meats/foods. 

That Which Defiles

The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.[a])

So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”

He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;

their teachings are merely human rules.’[b]

You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

----------------------

Here-

Isaiah 66:17

They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

It's my perception that the one tree in the midst is the crucifix, pagan symbol. (Messiah was actually murdered on a stake, not a cross)

Pig eaters will be destroyed. They refuse to follow God's instruction.

Acts 10
10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance.
11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners.
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.
Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1

Actually not in the NT, but the OT-

Isiah 53:2

He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

So shoot me for having the wrong testament. :shrug:

10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance.
11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners.
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

Again, has nothing to do with meats. 

You will have to read the ENTIRE bible to understand what is really going on here. 

Gentiles, nations, uncircumcised, people of other nations, the others, non jews as  you would know them.

The Gospel or 'good news' was that the gentiles, peoples of other nations, could now join the faith, could now receive salvation, could now join the jews. 

The jews saw the gentiles as unclean and they would not eat with them, would not associate with them.

The gentiles, those who Shaul (Paul) sought out, were not gentiles at all, they were Israelites. Those with 'ears to hear and eyes to see', the called out ones. Those who had lost their identities. God was calling them back to the faith, to follow Torah. Just as he is today. 

Peter would sit with the gentiles and break bread. When the jews were present Peter would disassociate himself with the gentiles (Israelites) and join with the jews. This caused further confusion among the gentiles, strife. 

This is what God was showing Peter, that the gentiles were really God's people.