Trailer recommendations

gomer pyle

I am looking for a 16`+2 car hauler for general use(cars, wheelers, small tractor). I think I want a steel deck. I confused about all the different models out there, c-channel or tube?, paint or powder coat?, dove or no dove?. BJs cs sucks and I wont give them my business. Any recommendations on brands or dealers? I been priced, over the phone, everything from 1600 to 4500 all for the same basic trailer. I understand the in paint, tires, two brakes or one, and couplers but none of that adds up to 3000 in difference. I'm not opposed to a used one if somebody knows of one.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i use trailers on the farm and for the things you are wanting to do. are you looking at open or enclosed trailers?  i use gooseneck for heavy things like tractors and hay equipment and the bumper pull for lite loads.  i would look at the gosseneck trailer, wood floor, two food dove tail, and brakes on one axle.  you want at least 7k pound axles and fold down ramps.  if you go bumper pull i would look at getting wood floor, 3.5 to 7k pound axles, two foot dove, brakes on one axle, trailer sway kit, and a weight distribution system. you don't need the weight distribution/sway kit, but it is nice to have.  i pull a 20 foot (2 foot dove) enclosed car hauler trailer without it.  but i use the system on a 16 food bumper pull equipment trailer.  i am not a fan of the steel deck, don't like them when they get wet, fell/slipped off one once when it was wet.  i had one once and it did not feel/pull as good to me as my wood deck trailers.  dovetail is best for loading over flat deck.  you will need a trailer brake control box.  i like the tekonsha prodigy p2.  now it cost more over most brands, but it is worth it for the proportional braking of the trailer over tow vehicle. don't buy more trailer than your vehicle can tow.  if your vehicle is straining to tow the empty trailer then it is to much trailer for your vehicle. 

i would look a graigslist and local sales network for a used trailer.  you can get some great deals on a used trailer.  most people buy a trailer, use it two or three times, and then it sets in the back yard for some time.  you can save over a new.

I've noticed that most trailers only come with brakes on one axle, but after reading this https://tn.gov/assets/entities/safety/attachments/TRAILERREQUIREMENTSTAG.pdf , shouldn't they have brakes on both?

no reason unless you are towing heavy.  even then no reason.  i tow with a ford f450 and all my trailers have single axle brakes except one.  adding a second set of brakes is not hard to do.  

I have a heavy duty 12' from Mike in Triune. It is a heavy duty trailer. Paint is about normal, but if it will sit outside in direct sun, it will fade no matter what. I highly recommend powder coat if it will sit out all of the time. I expected the fading so it doesn't really bother me. If you will store it inside, it will be fine. Mike is a great guy to work with and they can also order you whatever you want. Edited by Hozzie

I've noticed that most trailers only come with brakes on one axle, but after reading this https://tn.gov/assets/entities/safety/attachments/TRAILERREQUIREMENTSTAG.pdf , shouldn't they have brakes on both?

I have found that brakes on one axle works and stops fine but on two axles they get real touchy and are not as smooth stopping. A good controller may take care of that, I don't know. My controller is not the cheapest one but it's not as good as the one mentioned above.

If you get one built I would see about getting it primed before paint. Most are painted over bare steel and comes off over time.

I have a heavy duty 12' from Mike in Triune. It is a heavy duty trailer. Paint is about normal, but if it will sit outside in direct sun, it will fade no matter what. I highly recommend powder coat if it will sit out all of the time. I expected the fading so it doesn't really bother me. If you will store it inside, it will be fine. Mike is a great guy to work with and they can also order you whatever you want.

If you are talking about Mike Patterson at The Saddle Shop; he is my go to guy for ordering guns and finding me guns I want. I saw that he also sells trailers; but I didn’t look at them. Do your gun shopping and trailer shopping at one place. biggrin.gif

He is a good guy; here is his info.
The Saddle Shop
5101 Murfreesboro Road
College Grove, TN 37046
Phone: 615-395-7555

If you are talking about Mike Patterson at The Saddle Shop; he is my go to guy for ordering guns and finding me guns I want. I saw that he also sells trailers; but I didn’t look at them. Do your gun shopping and trailer shopping at one place. biggrin.gif

He is a good guy; here is his info.
The Saddle Shop
5101 Murfreesboro Road
College Grove, TN 37046
Phone: 615-395-7555

Yep, all my transfers go through the Saddle Shop.
I bought a 16+2 car hauler (except a wood deck) from Triune last week. It seems pretty well built, 5" channel frame and as good or better than any trailers we had when I was landscaping. Paint's decent. Came with radials which I wanted. Brakes on 1 axle.

Only little things like the pins to hold the ramps in imo needed to be drilled to put a clip in bc I was afraid they'd bounce out. And I believe it needs side marker and clearance lights that it doesn't have. I'm also going to either wrap all the wire in wire loom or rubber fuel line slit to protect it. I never liked that how they all just run it through a torched out hole in the frame.
I loaded it with the rest of my belongings in TN (yard stuff and tools) and drove to FL. It pulls great. I'm gonna throw another $200 or so at it and upgrade the tail lights to led, add marker lights, d rings, and put a tongue box on it. Then it'll be exactly what I want.

Glad I bought it. After searching for a while I just couldn't find anything I liked used that was better than $1765 otd. I didn't have to pay tax though bc it was an out of state sale.

I am looking for a 16`+2 car hauler for general use(cars, wheelers, small tractor). I think I want a steel deck. I confused about all the different models out there, c-channel or tube?, paint or powder coat?, dove or no dove?. BJs cs sucks and I wont give them my business. Any recommendations on brands or dealers? I been priced, over the phone, everything from 1600 to 4500 all for the same basic trailer. I understand the in paint, tires, two brakes or one, and couplers but none of that adds up to 3000 in difference. I'm not opposed to a used one if somebody knows of one.

We have a used 20ft steel floor car hauler here at work we are trying to sell. Has brakes. If you are interested in a 20ft shoot me a pm and we can discuss the details. We just used it to deliver a few tractors and move some racks from west TN to Nashville when we moved.