shopping for a 12 gauge

none

Ok my wife would like a 12 gauge. Looking for suggestions. I would like to get her something a little nicer than an 870 express. Not knocking the 870 but the finish to me is not all that great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Edited by wcd
The Ithaca 37, Maverick 88 are some older but amazing shotguns.

I got my wife a youth express in wood, something about blued steel and good wood cannot be beat in a pump gun.

Nod also to the 1100, unless you want to be super cool and get a KSG-12 bullpup, with dual cylinders you can have quite a bit of 12ga at your disposal without being fleeced buying a Saiga or VEPR-12

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What is the shotgun gona be used for?

Shooting fake birds, over under is the ticket. Real birds, auto comes to mind. I do not shoot ether.

I have a Saiga 12 as well, best shotty we have, finish, well it is from the mother country. :cool:

Its just something she wants. No specific purpose.

Appearance and reliability wise I like the 870 Wingmaster best. Reliability wise I like the 590. Price wise and with a little reliability tweaking I like the 500. I would not recommend any pistol griped SG for home or personal defense, instead I'd go with a shorter stock. As to the Ithaca Model 37, I owned and ran several of them over the years. Looks wise I loved them. Speed of operation and overall light weight was great. I just decided I preferred the 870 platform and after some tactical SG courses trusted the 590 too.   

It is all a mater of taste.  What I like my wife doesn't.  For a semi auto I prefer a Remington 1100.  Some days I want to shot an old Browning A5.  For pump I like the old Winchester model 12.  Take her to a gun shop and have her try a few on for size. My wife always likes to go shopping. 

Edited by Richard995

I would like to get her something a little nicer than an 870 express. Not knocking the 870 but the finish to me is not all that great.

Any suggestions?

Then take a look at the 870 WingMaster
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-wingmaster.aspx
All pump shotgun threads on all gun forums start and end with the 870, not much competition. biggrin.gif

Apropos of nothing, once upon a time I visited a Gander Mountain and bought two used 12 gauge shotguns off the rack.  An Ithaca M37 DSPS, (nickle-plated, 8 shot and slamfire capability) and a Browning BPS.  Both for $600, $250 and $350 respectively.  Never had a better trip to a gun shop.  :D

Nod also to the 1100, unless you want to be super cool and get a KSG-12 bullpup, with dual cylinders you can have quite a bit of 12ga at your disposal without being fleeced buying a Saiga or VEPR-12

No, no, no on the KSG-12. Or at least until you go to this link.

If you do check the link, pay attention to the warning before opening the image it mentions. Not for the faint of heart.

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

.... Nwondering if the Wingmaster comes in a shorter barrel?

Not under 25", no.

You could swap an 18.5 incher onto it, but it's unclear to me whether the Wingmaster barrels have the same nicely blued finish as the receiver, or are just powder coated or whatever like the others.

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1324437" timestamp="1447635641"]Not under 25", no.

You could swap an 18.5 incher onto it, but it's unclear to me whether the Wingmaster barrels have the same nicely blued finish as the receiver, or are just powder coated or whatever like the others.

- OS[/quote

Wonder if it would be a big deal to have it cut down a bit and threaded?

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1324437" timestamp="1447635641"]Not under 25", no.

- OS[/quote

Wonder if it would be a big deal to have it cut down a bit and threaded?

Since they have the vent ribs, bigger deal than usual I guess.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot