Man, this is getting close to home!

gregintenn

My youngest son only plays baseball, but he had friends playing in this game last night. Many of my friends, neighbors, and their children were there.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/local-news/childs-body-found-in-scottsville-kentucky

:wall: :wall: What the hell is wrong with people??!!??

I'm sure this family would appreciate your prayers.

I just don't get how a child of that age can go missing.  There is no way in hell I let my granddaughter out of my sight in crowds, in fact she has to hold someone's hand when walking and sits between us when we get to where we are going.  I am not trying to lay blame on the parents or anything but I do get amazed that everyone is not more attentive with their kids.  I realize that this was one of those small town areas where probably nothing happens but still.

• Like 1

I just don't get how a child of that age can go missing.  There is no way in hell I let my granddaughter out of my sight in crowds, in fact she has to hold someone's hand when walking and sits between us when we get to where we are going.  I am not trying to lay blame on the parents or anything but I do get amazed that everyone is not more attentive with their kids.  I realize that this was one of those small town areas where probably nothing happens but still.

I'll tell ya. We're small town people, and when my younger son was small, we spent all summer at a ball park. He'd go off and play with friends. I knew he was around, but certainly didn't watch him constantly. He knew most everyone there, and they knew him. I thought nothing of it. You can say I suck as a parent, and you may be right, but things are different in a small community.

I hope some of the locals find this guy before the police do. Honestly, I didn't even know this family, but I'm somewhat relieved I don't know who they are looking for. I might be inclined to help find him.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I'll tell ya. We're small town people, and when my younger son was small, we spent all summer at a ball park. He'd go off and play with friends. I knew he was around, but certainly didn't watch him constantly. He knew most everyone there, and they knew him. I thought nothing of it. You can say I suck as a parent, and you may be right, but things are different in a small community.

I hope some of the locals find this guy before the police do. Honestly, I didn't even know this family, but I'm somewhat relieved I don't know who they are looking for. I might be inclined to help find him.

No, I can't say you suck; there are things about small towns that are different than where I raised my kids.  But with the things that have been reported lately I take extra precautions than what I did with my kids and my parents did with me.

• Like 2

Wasn't it ol Dylan that said "times, they are a changing"

No, I can't say you suck; there are things about small towns that are different than where I raised my kids.  But with the things that have been reported lately I take extra precautions than what I did with my kids and my parents did with me.

This kind of stuff has always happened, and all stats indicate that kids are as safe or safer in this regard than they were in days of old .. like all things, what has changed is the universal news reporting, so now everybody knows every little thing all the time, and perception about actual probabilities is skewed.

You're still talking about an event that would be described with gawd knows how many zeros after the decimal point  percentage. Compared to many other common daily activities that are a thousand times more likely to cause death, but yet folks don't worry about them at all. Including the kids playing in the ball game at that same place, whatever.

Ever see Stossel's program on "What We Should Be Scared Of"? Here's excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CIjJeWx78

- OS

• Like 1

This kind of stuff has always happened, and all stats indicate that kids are as safe or safer in this regard than they were in days of old .. like all things, what has changed is the universal news reporting, so now everybody knows every little thing all the time, and perception about actual probabilities is skewed.

You're still talking about an event that would be described with gawd knows how many zeros after the decimal point  percentage. Compared to many other common daily activities that are a thousand times more likely to cause death, but yet folks don't worry about them at all. Including the kids playing in the ball game at that same place, whatever.

- OS

You tend to dismiss it, or at least I do, until it happens right down the street. Well, this happened right down the street.

- OS

While I know this is a fact, I don't allow those 0s after the decimal guide my daily activities.  If I have anything to say about it, it won't be any of mine making it into the stats.

You're still talking about an event that would be described with gawd knows how many zeros after the decimal point percentage. Compared to many other common daily activities that are a thousand times more likely to cause death, but yet folks don't worry about them at all. Including the kids playing in the ball game at that same place, whatever.

- OS

Lol,good video OS. This was a topic of conversation today at lunch. Post Paris attack I am seeing an insane increase of posts telling me to avoid crowds , sleep in body armor and war paint, and convert my suv into a rolling arsenal. Edited by FUJIMO

While I know this is a fact, I don't allow those 0s after the decimal guide my daily activities.  If I have anything to say about it, it won't be any of mine making it into the stats.

Care is a good thing. It's just that most parents can't really regiment their families like military platoons every minute of the day, especially those with several kids.

Hell, I'm an only child, grew up with homemaker type mom who was cloyingly protective, and I managed to wander off from her and out a department store when I was just a little squirt, took her and two street cops sometime to find me. And at 7, I would often be elsewhere around the neighborhood running around with kids my own age and older, whatever. And yeah, we had tomgirls in our pack, too. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Care is a good thing. It's just that most parents can't really regiment their families like military platoons every minute of the day, especially those with several kids.

Hell, I'm an only child, grew up with homemaker type mom who was cloyingly protective, and I managed to wander off from her and out a department store when I was just a little squirt, took her and two street cops sometime to find me. And at 7, I would often be elsewhere around the neighborhood running around with kids my own age and older, whatever. And yeah, we had tomgirls in our pack, too. ;)

- OS

Which one of the Little Rascals were you?
  • Like 2

My wife and I have this running battle over watching the kids.  She think it's eyes on them, all the time.  I tend to me a little more... I can still hear them so they're around here somewhere....  I get dirty looks when I let our 7 yr old go to the bathroom by himself in restaurants ("it's right there, I can see the door from here...").  While I wouldn't have let one wander off unattended at a football game, stories like this make me think I'm a little too lax sometimes. 

• Like 1
Im a soon to be father and stuff like this scares the hell out of me. It is that one day you look to say "hi" to someone or something and boom, gone.

Cant shoot yourself out of that situation either. One of my cousins got snatched in NYC a few years back - it was some creepy perv from my grandmother's projects.

Fortuantly, the "barrio" found him first...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

There are evil people everywhere, and they apparently have no issues snatching kids in crowded areas.  As the statistics show, these events have been happening for a long time and chances are that YOUR kids will be ok.  But someone has to make up that percentile, there is no sense making it easy to be victimized.  Some of us let the relative safety of our surroundings give us a false sense of security, small towns, on the military installation, hell even your families property, but we must remain vigilant no matter where we are.  And that goes for more than just watching your kids, as events in France and some here in the US have proven, evil people can come out of nowhere.

I do hope they find this evil person and I wouldn't mind it being the citizens that find him/her first if they are 100% sure he/she is the responsible person. I have zero problem with Vigilante justice because if it turns out to be a pervert child molester that has been caught in the past and released by the courts with a slap on the wrist I'm quite sure it would be a different outcome if caught by citizens first.........jmho            Prayers to the family for their terrible loss.......... :(   

They have arrested a suspect.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/30569677/arrest-made-in-connection-to-killing-of-7-year-old-ky-girl

If ever there was a case for a lynch mob I think this is it.  Capitol punishment is too good for this scum.

My daughter is 6 and this has really hit home with me.  We have recently let her start doing a lot more things on her own, but this really makes me think.  You can't keep them in a jar forever though.

Scottsville is one of the last places I ever would've expected to hear about this. It's a small town where telling the kids to go play and be back for supper wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary. For something like this to have happened is just positively stunning. 

I hope they caught the right guy, and I hope he gets everything he has coming in prison. 

• Like 1

My wife and I have this running battle over watching the kids.  She think it's eyes on them, all the time.  I tend to me a little more... I can still hear them so they're around here somewhere....  I get dirty looks when I let our 7 yr old go to the bathroom by himself in restaurants ("it's right there, I can see the door from here...").  While I wouldn't have let one wander off unattended at a football game, stories like this make me think I'm a little too lax sometimes. 

Your not alone. I have had the exact same "running battle" with my wife about my 8 yr olds and 9 yr old going to a restaurant bathroom alone.  Just as you said, this story makes me feel too lax as well.  

• Like 1

Your not alone. I have had the exact same "running battle" with my wife about my 8 yr olds and 9 yr old going to a restaurant bathroom alone.  Just as you said, this story makes me feel too lax as well.  

From what I've heard that is how the girl got abducted, going to the restroom without adult supervision.  That is something that we've just stared doing here in the last few months as well, letting our daughter go to the restroom by herself at restaurants.  I think we are just going to use our discretion, it will depend a lot on where the restroom is in relation to us and the exits.   

They've caught the S.O.B.! A lady was interviewing him on the news. I don't see how anyone could do that without leaning over and strangling him.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30571307/scottsville-ky-man-charged-with-kidnapping-rape-murder-in-death-of-7-year-old

I hope his fellow inmates take care of him, as I don't have much faith our justice system will.

Edited by gregintenn