Suggestions to replace my Springfield 45

Volphin

I have a problem child that is my primary carry weapon.  I've decided to replace it with something else due to repeated FTF and FTE issues.  I like the 1911A1 frame in single stack grip width.  Compact as possible and perhaps even a poly component due to old hips.  LOL

Ideas?

Fixing your Springer shouldn't be that tough. 99 percent of 1911 problems can be solved by an extractor adjustment or using better magazines. Springfield will take care of you if there happens to be a manufacturing defect (which is not likely). PM me if you want to discuss the issues you're having.

But since you asked, have you ever looked into a CCO model? I like the Colt Wiley Clapp CCO for a more compact 1911. That's an officer size frame with a Commander length slide. Dan Wesson also makes a CCO.

Fixing your Springer shouldn't be that tough. 99 percent of 1911 problems can be solved by an extractor adjustment or using better magazines. Springfield will take care of you if there happens to be a manufacturing defect (which is not likely). PM me if you want to discuss the issues you're having.

But since you asked, have you ever looked into a CCO model? I like the Colt Wiley Clapp CCO for a more compact 1911. That's an officer size frame with a Commander length slide. Dan Wesson also makes a CCO.

It's been to SA twice and even a prominent member here has looked it over personally.  My carry system must operate 100% at ALL times.  I'll look into the CCO.  Thanks for the heads up!

It's been to SA twice and even a prominent member here has looked it over personally.  My carry system must operate 100% at ALL times.  I'll look into the CCO.  Thanks for the heads up!

'Sorry to hear that, I've been willing to bet my life on my XD-g.  I love 1911s, they are just harder to carry.  I'd like to find a compact 1911, the CCO sounds nice. 

Sorry to hear that, I've been willing to bet my life on my XD-g. 

I love 1911s, they are just harder to carry. 

I'd like to find a compact 1911, the CCO seems nice.

Edited by kcruisin

You might want to take a look at the SA XDs 45 with a 4" barrel. It has the singlestack thin frame you want, is lightweight and has a polymerframe. I don't think you'll be displeased with it as my XDs 9 with its 3.3" barrel has been a good pistol. I would also find a good custom gunsmith who specilizes in 1911 pistols and have the 1911 rebulit and tuned.

• Like 1

Its unusual to hear of a Springfield with problems that even the factory can't fix. Exactly what model is it?

Is it an Ultra Compact? Many of the short guns from many different makers tend to be troublesome. The 1911 just doesn't seem to like going shorter than 4" no matter who builds it.

Can also look at the Glock 36. Single stack, really slim and can hold 8+1 with Pearce extensions for a nice reliable carry.

Traded mine away as it kept giving me Glock knuckle but I didnt take a dremel to it either and it was a Gen 3 so YMMV.

Also +1 on the SR45 - had 2 SR9s but they had crap triggers I fired a SR45 and it was much better and cant be beat for the price

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That's what she said :)

You might be surprised what a good lube can do when there's too much friction. ;)

My first SA circa early 90's version has(d) the same FTE and FTF problems described until I learned how to grease the rails.  It is now 100% reliable.

Volphin,

This sounds like a problem that can be addressed.  Here is how I would do it.  Fortunately, you bought it from a manufacturer with good customer service.  

I would send a letter via USPS to Dennis Reese, CEO of Springfield Armory.  

In so many words, I would say I feel that SA takes pride in producing quality products and that I felt comfortable investing in one as my primary carry pistol for self defense.

I would explain what the problem is very clearly and not use abbreviations like FTF and FTE.  I would let him know that I have sent it back to the factory twice and that both times it has come back without the problem being solved.

Next I would say that I want to feel good about my purchase and would greatly appreciate his help in resolving the issues.

Now, a couple of points.  Notice that my verbiage wasn't angry or threatening - it was complimentary, let him know I have an issue and asked for his help.  Next, I would suggest getting someone else to read your description of the problem to make sure it makes sense.  

I say that because I have a customer going live with a new solution.  Over the past two days, he has brought three issues to me he isn't happy about.  He didn't write the email in a manner that clearly explained what the problem was.  I took action to find out what he needed, though many folks won't.

My expectation would be that your letter will cause a couple of cans of whoopass to get opened on folks up there and that they will fall over themselves to get it fixed.

This is an area I know a lot about and I feel sure it would result in a weapon you feel good about, or feel like you can sell with a clear conscience.

• Like 1

Volphin,

This sounds like a problem that can be addressed. Here is how I would do it. Fortunately, you bought it from a manufacturer with good customer service.

I would send a letter via USPS to Dennis Reese, CEO of Springfield Armory.

In so many words, I would say I feel that SA takes pride in producing quality products and that I felt comfortable investing in one as my primary carry pistol for self defense.

I would explain what the problem is very clearly and not use abbreviations like FTF and FTE. I would let him know that I have sent it back to the factory twice and that both times it has come back without the problem being solved.

Next I would say that I want to feel good about my purchase and would greatly appreciate his help in resolving the issues.

Now, a couple of points. Notice that my verbiage wasn't angry or threatening - it was complimentary, let him know I have an issue and asked for his help. Next, I would suggest getting someone else to read your description of the problem to make sure it makes sense.

I say that because I have a customer going live with a new solution. Over the past two days, he has brought three issues to me he isn't happy about. He didn't write the email in a manner that clearly explained what the problem was. I took action to find out what he needed, though many folks won't.

My expectation would be that your letter will cause a couple of cans of whoopass to get opened on folks up there and that they will fall over themselves to get it fixed.

This is an area I know a lot about and I feel sure it would result in a weapon you feel good about, or feel like you can sell with a clear conscience.

I would make the above my first step in resolving your issue, and finding a new/different weapon or platform the last step. I would be appalled if this solution didn't fix your problem, and make you one happy customer. I'm incredibly intrigued as to the response from SA if you decide to send that letter. I await your decision on how to handle this matter with great anticipation.
In the world of production 1911s, Springfield probably has the best overall reputation for customer satisfaction of any manufacturer in the game. I've never heard of a pistol that they wouldn't or couldn't fix. Good luck with whichever direction you take, but I would not give up on the Springfield.
  • Like 1

Steelharp does not lie! I got one a year or so ago, and was amazed by it. Very soft-shooting 45, and very accurate and easy to handle.

Larry, it is closer to 3 years since you got that gun, if it's the one I'm thinking of....time fly's when you're having fun. ;)

Larry, it is closer to 3 years since you got that gun, if it's the one I'm thinking of....time fly's when you're having fun. ;)

Hey...don't confuse me with facts! It messes with my mind. lol

Has it really been that long? Wow. No wonder I feel older.

I had a major failure with a Taurus 1911, and it took 2 returns to get it fixed.  It shoots nice now and I carry it when I might beat it around, but I'll never trust it again. 

I hope my XD never fails me, I'm sure it's as dependable as a Glock.  The time will probably come when I'll trust my life on both of them.

'And other 1911s. 

The only Springfield 1911 that I have seen that needed to go back to the factory twice and still didn't work when it came back the second time was one of those 3.5" SAs they used to make.  If you are running a 1911 less than 4.25" or maybe a 4" then you deserve any issues that you are getting.  I have only owned 15 1911s, some parts guns, some pretty nice like DW.  The only one I have now is a range toy, SA Loaded.