Help with computer wireless connectivity

smithra89

Hoping someone with computer expertise may be able to assist.

I have a desktop with wireless connectivity issues. It is running Windows 10. Here is the problem:

The wireless adapter will connect to the modem (full connection bars) but states no internet connection. I have a laptop, cell phones, and xbox that all connect to the modem via wireless connection and the internet works fine. The connection with the desktop drops quite frequently and will then reconnect after a few minutes. Any thoughts?

I would just connect via ethernet cable but the modem is in another room and the cable would run through the hallway. 

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Just a few ideas...

Some routers/modems have a cap on the amount of devices that can connect, I set mine at 8 so freeloading family cant steal my bandwith

Even though it is connecting it may be a driver error, can run a windows update for that or look up the router/modem manufacturers website for compatability issues

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have a GoPhone wireless from AT&T and I was having same issue. I removed the device from the modem and them went and removed the program from my desk top and waited 5 minutes and re-downloaded the entire program back into the computer and have not had an issue like I having since. You might just try deleting the program and re installing it again...........just an idea and MHO.

If it connects and disconnects, it probably not a device connection limit on the router.  Few things to consider:

Is it a new computer or an older computer recently upgraded to Windows 10?  Has anything changed on the system at all, like have you physically moved it, or have you added any other wireless devices to the network or nearby the computer?

Also check the manufacturer's website for driver updates to the wireless card, as something may have updated, or windows drivers may have taken over and they may not be as efficient as OEM software.