Glock 17 RTF2

ZZRguy

You do not see the model 17s in RTF as much as other models. I once had a 23 RTF2 that I so regret getting rid of but it was not the best concealed carry piece. The texture would rub you raw when worn against the skin. However, it was glued to your hand when shooting. The RTF, especially with the half moon serrations, generally will bring a few more dollars than a plain jane gen 3. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

Most people lose sight of the fact that the RTF guns were the result of after action reports from secret squirrel units that do everything wearing gloves that wanted something with a more aggressive grip. They were not really designed with concealed carry against skin in mind , they were designed for carry in exposed holsters and tac gear and being used in harsh conditions by guys wearing gloves. 

• Like 3

Most people lose sight of the fact that the RTF guns were the result of after action reports from secret squirrel units that do everything wearing gloves that wanted something with a more aggressive grip. They were not really designed with concealed carry against skin in mind , they were designed for carry in exposed holsters and tac gear and being used in harsh conditions by guys wearing gloves.

This. It had all the cool guy textures and serrations for "warfighting" so when you jump out of a Uh60, land in a cess pit and have your gloves soaked and need to pull it then it would not fly out of your hand.

They dont command that much of a higher premium, maybe $550 or $600 at the absolute most. Its pretty much a stippled glock without suffering the price loss from stippling it.

Meh I guess I am a freak because my Gen 3s and Gen 4s never give me an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased my LAV RTF2 Glock 17 from the Franklin Gun Shop for $650 two months ago and it has grown to become one of my favorite pistols to shoot nowadays. There has not been a range session to date that does not include the LAV RTF2 Glock 17 in the rotation. The LAV RTF2 pistols include a great deal of value right out of the box for the money (E.G. Wilson Combat Vickers Tactical sights + TangoDown Vickers Tactical slide release, magazine release, + magazine base plates). The aforementioned firearm is my girlfriends nightstand gun. We are fans of the RTF2 frames through + through. With that being said, I plan on adding more to the lineup as they become available for purchase on the secondary market!

[URL=http://s640.photobucket.com/user/986S/media/B5A94A07-1C0B-45FB-9998-06FD57F965A0_zpshjclfwb7.jpg.html]B5A94A07-1C0B-45FB-9998-06FD57F965A0_zps[/URL]

Edited by Cartel
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the "new" Vickers in the grey frame, 17 (wife's) and 19. I've put about 300 rounds though each over 4 range sessions. I'll have to say, the frame is awesome. The RTF2 really IS the sh*t for grip and working the gun. The sites are fast and easy. I will say that the sites do have sharp edges, especially the the front (don't try any Vanguard holster junk carry for sure!) Also, the Vicker's slide stop and mag release are a little sharp. I believe I'll put the extended Glock controls and see if they are too "long."

Another negative is they make you a Glock snob. You WON'T want to shoot any other grip frame and all your plastic gun friends will be jealous. 

Brothers_zpsragnfgzl.jpg

Edited by JimHouchin
  • Like 1
How does the RTF2 compare to the Gen 4 texture? I know that it is more coarse and seems to be much more of it (versus the small bumps on a G4). Is this better than the G4? Does anyone actually carry one of these? These frames have always intrigued me due to how "rare" they are supposed to be. Edited by shotgunshooter

How does the RTF2 compare to the Gen 4 texture? I know that it is more coarse and seems to be much more of it (versus the small bumps on a G$). Is this better than the G4? Does anyone actually carry one of these? These frames have always intrigued me due to how "rare" they are supposed to be.

They were kind of like a trial run for the gen4 texture. Most people didn't like it as it is so aggressive. No one wanted them until they were discontinued.

How does the RTF2 compare to the Gen 4 texture? I know that it is more coarse and seems to be much more of it (versus the small bumps on a G$). Is this better than the G4? Does anyone actually carry one of these? These frames have always intrigued me due to how "rare" they are supposed to be.

I did a grip test at the store, comparing to the GEN4 for me it was the difference between the last digest's of my strong hand sliding down/around the grip. Just a 1/16th of an inch, but on the RFT2, your hand/fingers stay glued to the frame.

I did a grip test at the store, comparing to the GEN4 for me it was the difference between the last digest's of my strong hand sliding down/around the grip. Just a 1/16th of an inch, but on the RFT2, your hand/fingers stay glued to the frame.

Thanks. This was exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I get to handle and shoot one of these one day soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have a 22 with the fish gills. I like the fit in hand just a tiny bit better than my gen 4 17 or 19. I carried it hiking just last week. I don't find the texture to be too abrasive at all. To me, the finger grooves feel less pronounced on the RTF models. It carries well OWB and I don't have any issues with rubbing. Then again at 6' and 160lbs, I don't know anything about "love handles."

I really like the texture and don't find it hard on my hands or skin. The only issue I have had is it will snag a jacket or blazer if you wear it with dress clothes. I have gotten up from a table at restaurants and had my jacket pulled up before. The gen 4 texture doesn't do this for me. Edited by JReedEsq

That is one fine pistol... fish gills and all! And in 9mm... I mostly see them in .40 cal. Nice find!

Thanks, I love the gills. Is really rough against the body in iwb but I fixed that with some smooth tape. It was funny because I was trash talking glocks up until Christmas because I always felt like they were slippery, boy I sure am singing a different tune now.