Does this First Aid Training look worthwhile?

Any opinions about a class like this? It sounds good to me, but I do not have the expertise to know. Techniques in first aid have probably progressed since I got my sucking chest wound training at Ft Leonard Wood in 1979....

February 26, 2009

Tactical Combat Casualty Care Course

Houston, TX

This course is based upon the military Tactical Combat Casualty Care promoted by United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). It is taught by an actual Combat Medic with recent deployment experience. It is designed to teach non-medical personnel to provide immediate lifesaving measures during the Golden Hour beyond the level of self-aid or buddy-aid to wounded personnel.

Students will also learn:

Care under fire

Control Bleeding

Open and Manage a Casualty's Airway

Treat Penetrating Chest Trauma and Decompress and Tension Pneumothroax

Evacuate a Casualty

Duration: 1 Days 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Prerequisites: None

Ammunition: None

Equipment: Provided

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is designed to teach non-medical personnel to provide immediate lifesaving measures during the Golden Hour beyond the level of self-aid or buddy-aid to wounded personnel.

I'm sure it is good training but remember that if you use anything beyond first-aid, you can be held liable. The good samaritan law will not cover you.

Guest Dragonman

Ya can do what you want but you could also go to a surplus store and find a first aid manual for a lot less and not have to travel but of course you won't get the hands on training. Classes like this teach you skills but you usually end up buying equipment to perform the procedures they teach you. Just looking at it sounds like a tracheotomy, sucking chest wound, and ABC rules class. I could be wrong though. Probably could talk to a medic in the military or a paramedic and get the same info. And as said earlier you do anything much after first aid the Good Samaritan law probably won't cover you. Should give them a call and see exactly what the couse offers, any reputable company will do that.

Zen,

Check out these two sites. Great info on Good Samaritan laws in general and tn

Am. Red Cross first aid, automatic advisory defibrillator and CPR training will probably cover any situation we would come upon. As with anything the more training and practice the better.

http://www.nashvillepad.org/documents/TN%20Good%20Samaritan%20law.doc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law