22 LR Pistol Options

josh.mcdonald

If you aren't hunting or competition shooting with it, the S&W M&P 22 Compact is hard to beat, best of its kind IMO.

MSRP is $389. I have seen them for $299 new in the gun shop. A bit over budget, but it is hard to find a quality and durable .22 pistol.

Or look at a Ruger Mark 2/3 or a Buckmark.

Don't be afraid to buy a used one.The ruger will last many lifetimes.
  • Like 3
I'm somewhat familiar with the Ruger Mark 1, my dad has one that's pretty old. I'm not a huge fan of the crazy long barrel on them but it's worth looking at. I will check out that S&P. While it's a little over budget, sometimes it's worth it to save a little longer for he right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for an auto look for a used Ruger Mk II.  You might find a basic model in your price range.  If you are looking for a single action revolver, then look at a Heritage Arms.  You should be able to pick a .22LR for less than $200.  They also come with a .22mag cylinder for an additional fee.  You should be able to find a used H&R 929 or a High Standard Sentinel for around $200.  Both are dependable revolvers.

Anyone know about the Ruger SR22? Looks similar to the S&W though it's more than double my budget.

I own one and I like it because its a small pistol with good sights and is fun to shoot. You can generally find one used in a gun shop if you look for it. Probably one of the best .22 pistols for general field shooting and such is the Ruger Mk II with standard sights. One of those with a 6" barrel is on my wish list.

Ruger SR22 for semi and LCR22 for revolver. You will have to shop a little to meet your budget on either or buy used. I also have an old Hi-Standard Dura-Matic that is fun and is cheap on the used market.

I have had 4 friends buy SR22s after shooting mine.

With your budget in mind (<$250), my first choice would be a Sig Mosquito and my second choice would be an ATI GSG M1911 . Both would be fun/easy to shoot and would server well.

However, there's a lot of great choices within the next $50, like a Walther P22 for $276 or a Ruger Mk II 22-45 for $293. I'd consider either worth the wait to save a little longer, if it were my money.

I would look for a MK series ruger. Should be able to find SOMETHING in your budget and they are dead nuts reliable. The sr22 is great too, not sure you'd find one at your budget, but maybe. If you want a .22 revolver, IMO pony up the extra bucks to get an sp101 or lcr. I have a .22 sp101 and it is a damn fine gun.

Considering adding a 22 pistol to my collection. Don't want anything fancy, just reliable for plinking and cheap shooting. Would like to stay around the $250 mark if possible. Suggestions?

Ruger Mark, even if you have to save a little while longer.

I loved my P22. Sold it years ago as I needed the money. Last year about this time I was ready to buy another 22 semi. Decided to go with the SR22 as the reviews were great. Bought it brand new. Over 2 months, 7 or 8 kinds of ammo, and probably right about 600 rds, I still could not get through a mag without a failure or two. Also, I was less than impressed with the finishing/machining inside as well. Sold it after I decided I had enough with that experiment.

This is something that seems to be trait of Ruger semis, from looking at a friend's SR45, and two different SR9s. I know that crummy machining and rough/sharp edges inside a slide and ther various interior bits have zero to do with function and reliability (as long as not in critical areas) but I just don't like it. I don't like my cleaning patches getting hung up everywhere and shredding when getting into nooks and crannies. I don't like scratching my fingers in there either. (Looking at you, SR22!) Hoppe's #9 burns, lol!

Sure, they're cheap (SR series in general) and I know a lot of folks that swear by them. Cool. They express their opinions of satisfaction, and I express my dissenting opinion. I have made the personal decision to purchase other weapons. I would still get a GP100 or single action from Ruger in a heartbeat, or even a P series, but I'm done with the SR series.

I also vote for a Ruger Mark, maybe a Mark II.  You should be able to find one, at least the standard 4" tapered barrel version, for that price.

They are made of steel and will last forever.

Really have to call the Ruger Mark I and II a great choice. Also consider the 22/45 series. A bit more money, but great pistols.

• Like 2
I love our SR22. Great little gun and I have no issues with cleaning or jamming as stated above. Maybe I got a good one but it runs as good as my P89 and that thing will not stop. I have never had an issue with that gun either. As for price I bought it used from a guy on here or one of the other Tennessee gun club sites for $250.
I think I've narrowed it down to
Ruger 22/45 Target for $279 vs the Sig Mosquito for $255.
I know a lot of people swear by a Sig but everyone here likes the Ruger. It seems a lot of folks didn't care for the Mark III as much as previous generations.