22 LR Pistol Options

josh.mcdonald

Walther p22. I've got one and couldnt be happier with it.

IMG_0299-1_zps28c6aa3d.jpg

I had one and sold it as fast as I could.  Does the extended barrel help with cycling?  My P22 was about as unreliable as it gets.  At least one maybe two fail to eject in every mag.  I've tried many types of ammo and nothing works well in it for me. 

I have a Ruger Mark 3 so the P22 served real no purpose and I let it go for $200.  Only paid $240 new.  

I've seen Ruger Mark 3's on Gun Broker for $250 new.  I love mine.  It's fun to plink with and very accurate.  It's much more reliable than my P22 was.  

I bought the Volquartsen kit for a Mark II pistol (mine's a Mark III).  This turns it into a Mark II eliminating the magazine disconnect.  Shoots like a dream now with a 2.5 pound trigger.  I would highly recommend the kit, but it's a pain to put the blasted pistol back together.

I have a mosquito & a 22/45 lite, the mosquito had to break in but it runs flawless now, the 22/45 is no more difficult to disassemble than any of the mark series Rugers & someone sells a kit that makes it much less of a pain. Love both of them. Also have the GSG 1911 sometimes it doesn't want to go fully into battery, bought it used though so I need to throw a new recoil spring in there & give it a try.

I would say to go check your local pawn shops. I found several awesome guns at my local pawn shop.. USA Pawn in Maryville, Tn usually has a pretty reliable quantity on hand. The guys there seem to know what they are talking about. Any way... Don't rule out your local pawn shops... Diamonds in the rough...

Ruger MK II bushing to replace the mag disconnect safety apparatus

Which causes the trigger to be less good because the safety is coupled to the trigger.  This is why people bother to take out the safety.  Its not that it has the stupid extra un-necessary feature (annoying as that is) its that the feature directly impacts the trigger on a target pistol, which is a big no-no.

Mine looks exactly like that one, by the way, except for the red dot brand.   That wood grip that comes on them is AWESOME feeling and good looking to boot.   But it was the feel that sold me on that model.  

Edited by Jonnin

I had one and sold it as fast as I could.  Does the extended barrel help with cycling?  My P22 was about as unreliable as it gets.  At least one maybe two fail to eject in every mag.  I've tried many types of ammo and nothing works well in it for me. 

I have a Ruger Mark 3 so the P22 served real no purpose and I let it go for $200.  Only paid $240 new.  

I've seen Ruger Mark 3's on Gun Broker for $250 new.  I love mine.  It's fun to plink with and very accurate.  It's much more reliable than my P22 was.  

I had the same problem with my P22.  I picked it up used from around $200.  I fixed it by lubing the hell out of the firing pin.  After 10 months and 6000 to 7000 rounds though the gun that no long worked I needed to replace the firing pin spring.  The problem was for the life of my I couldn't get the 1 pin out of the gun to replace the spring.  I ended up selling the gun for $150 to a gun buy back.  I wouldn't have any problem buying another P22 it was a nice guy overall one of my favorite guns to shot I have ever owned.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

Interesting about the P22.  My wife has one and there has not been a single FTF or FTE after 1000s of rounds of various ammo.  All the more reinforcement that you need to shoot any EDC frequently to make sure it will work for you.

The Walter has a spring the push the firing pin back into position between firing.  As long as that spring is in good shape my FTF were almost none existent.  But once that spring loses it shape YOU WILL SEE FTF.  The fix of curse is to replace that spring.  Also other have reported that slimming down the firing pin to make it move smother will also help.  Personally I loved the gun.  It shot the dirtiest crappiest ammo I could get my hands on and worked fine.  Had a decent trigger pull and I was getting pretty decent grouping out of the gun even with that crappy ammo.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle
  • Moderators

The Walter has a spring the push the firing pin back into position between firing.  As long as that spring is in good shape my FTF were almost none existent.  But once that spring loses it shape you will start seeing FTF.  The fix of curse is to replace that spring.  Also other have reported that slimming down the firing pin to make it move smother will also help.  Personally I loved the gun.  It shot the dirtiest crappiest ammo I could get my hands on and worked fine.  Had a decent trigger pull and I was getting pretty decent grouping out of the gun even with that crappy ammo.

Thanks

Robert

That's good to know.  My wife loves this gun.  Doesn't want to shoot or carry anything else.

I had the same problem with my P22.  I picked it up used from around $200.  I fixed it by lubing the hell out of the firing pin.  After 10 months and 6000 to 7000 rounds though the gun that no long worked I needed to replace the firing pin spring.  The problem was for the life of my I couldn't get the 1 pin out of the gun to replace the spring.  I ended up selling the gun for $150 to a gun buy back.  I wouldn't have any problem buying another P22 it was a nice guy overall one of my favorite guns to shot I have ever owned.

Thanks
Robert

Well...you did good on that Walther. lol

I've had several Walther pistols and some I've loved, some I di't really care for. but never had a P22. All this talk of them almost makes me want to try one.

Then I look at my 22 collection(that's what my wife calls it anyway), and realize I just don't need another one.

But that hasn't stopped me up till now. lol So maybe if one shows up at the right time...

speaking of the walther and what I call "practice guns"  (look and feel like a 9mm carry gun in .22)  ... wife has an amazing one.  The cz kadet.  Its just like a cz75 ... even uses some sort of special converted 9mm mag ...  very good pistol and less well known.  Very accurate, too, for what it is (its got nothing on the fixed barrel guns though).

My son and I each have Walther P22's , junk. His has even been to the factory once , still junk.

Just sold mine for $200. I hate that gun.

How the heck does a POS like this get through quality control?

Guaranteed one FTE per mag.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1

What is your normal go to gun? Many like the m&p, Glock, and 45 1911 have .22lr counterparts.

personally I like the 1911 in 22lr. I got a cotl made by walther that should be right around that level give or take a few bucks. The ruger 22/45 is pretty good as well, but a pain in the neck to clean.

What is your normal go to gun? Many like the m&p, Glock, and 45 1911 have .22lr counterparts.

personally I like the 1911 in 22lr. I got a cotl made by walther that should be right around that level give or take a few bucks. The ruger 22/45 is pretty good as well, but a pain in the neck to clean.

I bought a Tactical Solutions TSG-22 TE .22 Conversion Kit for my Glock 19.  Is allows me to just swap the mag and swap slides and I am shooting .22lr on the same Glock I am currently using to Conceal Carry with.