1911 feeding issues with new SR1911

So I have only put about 50 rounds through the gun but stopped when I had numerous failures to feed/battery. The slide would jam open with most of the round showing. I did a little research online and tinkered with my extractor. After loosening it up to what I would still call fairly tight it will feed reliably now from slide lock as well as slingshot but I get a ka-chunk feel to it. Almost like a two stage feed into battery. This is also setting the bullets back quite a bit. Any ideas what I can check? If this is something that will smooth out with time then so be it. I will just shoot it more.

That sucks to hear man mine has ran like a champ.

What ammo as you using? The chamber is pretty tight and I had to redo the seating of my SWCs and even hard ball loads to get them to fit.

I did polish up the feedramps even more so than what they were, did a full strip of the FCG and extractor as well as lube the hell out of the places the slide contacts with the frame.

It broke in really well after about 300 rds of S&B.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
That ammo is pretty damn horrible.

MCSC sells it an Ive had short strokes, squibs, FTEs, FTFs, stove pipes and vastly differing OAL or weak powder charges EVERY time I use that stuff.

Most likely it is slightly too long and being shoved into the lands of the barrels. Or not enough powder charge. I know that issue too well and it happened using that crap ammo.

It even gives my Glocks issues

So I am using both Wilson Combat and Ruger mags and it pretty much does it on all rounds in the mag except for the last round. The feed angle is definitely slightly different between the first and last round. It seems to be contacting the barrel ramp and that is where the hang up is occurring. Wonder if this will smooth out with time? May give Ruger a call tomorrow but would like to see if I can figure it out first.

The Ruger mags are a little wierd - gotta give em a smack to seat in there right. Doesnt give me an issue though.

Not to insult your intelligence brother but have you done a full strip on it yet? That factory gunk gets everywhere, still TN Cartridge isnt the best to break it in.

The only other thing I can think of is might not be a good fit with barrel to frame for some reason

The Ruger mags are a little wierd - gotta give em a smack to seat in there right. Doesnt give me an issue though.

Not to insult your intelligence brother but have you done a full strip on it yet? That factory gunk gets everywhere, still TN Cartridge isnt the best to break it in.

The only other thing I can think of is might not be a good fit with barrel to frame for some reason

Haha no worries. Doesn't hurt to ask. Yes I completely field stripped it and cleaned it. I have also liberally lubed it.

Haha no worries. Doesn't hurt to ask. Yes I completely field stripped it and cleaned it. I have also liberally lubed it.

Try running it dry perhaps - not sure if it likes being wet and sloppy. I run mine pretty dry.

A little polishing and stripping the mags and wiping everything else may help.

Have you stripped the barrel out and tried to plunk a few rounds in their? Hopefully the chamber is not jacked up out of uniformity.

Try running it dry perhaps - not sure if it likes being wet and sloppy. I run mine pretty dry.

A little polishing and stripping the mags and wiping everything else may help.

Have you stripped the barrel out and tried to plunk a few rounds in their? Hopefully the chamber is not jacked up out of uniformity.

Yeah the rounds go into the barrel just fine when it's out. I initially had it pretty dry like I run my other guns but tried to run it a little more wet. The problem is definitely happening right when the bullet touches the barrel. It seems to be putting a little pressure on it and causing it to move forwards prematurely. I am over my head in this one though and just speculating. I may give Ruger a call tomorrow and just see what they say.

• Like 1
I have the stainless steel comander sr1911. I have 500 rounds of Winchester white box through it without any issues. That is with chip McCormick and ruger mags. You might give a different ammo a try. I'm thinking about picking up a 5" barrel version in the near future. Hope you get things worked out

Yeah the rounds go into the barrel just fine when it's out. I initially had it pretty dry like I run my other guns but tried to run it a little more wet. The problem is definitely happening right when the bullet touches the barrel. It seems to be putting a little pressure on it and causing it to move forwards prematurely. I am over my head in this one though and just speculating. I may give Ruger a call tomorrow and just see what they say.

Calling up Ruger may not be a bad idea. Do you have a small level you can see how level the (I dont know what its called) part where the firing pin sticks out of thingy lol.

Or if the barrel link is wobbly and causing the bullets to feed in a bit crooked because of bad fitment.

Tried any other ammo in it?

Calling up Ruger may not be a bad idea. Do you have a small level you can see how level the (I dont know what its called) part where the firing pin sticks out of thingy lol.

Or if the barrel link is wobbly and causing the bullets to feed in a bit crooked because of bad fitment.

Tried any other ammo in it?

I haven't tried any other ammo yet but will pick some up tomorrow. Just had a thought. This morning I had one case that basically pulled the brass backwards away from the bullet when I tried to feed it. I am wondering if this ammo not being crimped well or at all could be the issue. It may be catching on that portion of the barrel. I can see that as an area that will eventually wear in. What I will probably do is pickup some decent ammo and if it seems to feed even remotely better go ahead and "break it in" and see what happens. I am still ecstatic about the gun and have no doubt I can get this worked out.

After adjusting the over travel on the trigger it seems to be a very nice trigger. Certainly better than any Glock I own. :pleased:  The good news is now I'll get to practice my malfunctions in IDPA like everyone else shooting CDP. :rofl:

I haven't tried any other ammo yet but will pick some up tomorrow. Just had a thought. This morning I had one case that basically pulled the brass backwards away from the bullet when I tried to feed it. I am wondering if this ammo not being crimped well or at all could be the issue. It may be catching on that portion of the barrel. I can see that as an area that will eventually wear in. What I will probably do is pickup some decent ammo and if it seems to feed even remotely better go ahead and "break it in" and see what happens. I am still ecstatic about the gun and have no doubt I can get this worked out.

After adjusting the over travel on the trigger it seems to be a very nice trigger. Certainly better than any Glock I own. [emoji14]leased: The good news is now I'll get to practice my malfunctions in IDPA like everyone else shooting CDP. :rofl:

I was about to say that, I dont believe TNC crimps their stuff.

If you were in CVille id run you some ammo real quick

I was about to say that, I dont believe TNC crimps their stuff.

If you were in CVille id run you some ammo real quick

thanks for the offer. I'll just run to academy tomorrow though. Luckily my dremel is still in Nashville so I won't have to resist that urge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My SR CMD will sometimes fail to close all the way. It's like it has a rough place or something. The recoil spring might be a little weak on mine but yours being a new gun should be OK. Look you fired cases over real good and see what the rim looks like. I wouldn't go to cutting on the extractor yet. It could be a little tight in the slot or have a burr. Notice if it drops the hulls in different places or together.
Well she is on her way back to ruger. I have no doubt they will get it fixed up. I did shoot the rest of my factory reloads this morning with only a few ftfs. I'm not to down about it. My holster won't be in for a few weeks and I ordered a personalized set of aluma grips that won't be in for a few weeks as well. I'm just glad I got to shoot it at all and other than this problem I am ecstatic about it.

Well she is on her way back to ruger. I have no doubt they will get it fixed up. I did shoot the rest of my factory reloads this morning with only a few ftfs. I'm not to down about it. My holster won't be in for a few weeks and I ordered a personalized set of aluma grips that won't be in for a few weeks as well. I'm just glad I got to shoot it at all and other than this problem I am ecstatic about it.

Glad to hear they will work on it for you, Ruger had pretty good customer service and you will not be disappointed.

Dont be suprised if they throw in some spare mags or parts in for free.

Well I got i back from Ruger today. They said the replaced the ejector and repaired / tuned the extractor. It has noticeably less tension than before. I lightly sprayed some lube in the gun and went out for the first 50 rounds. I had about 5-6 that did the same thing as before. Bullet seems to be catching either on the feed ramp or barrel ramp. 

I thought maybe I didn't have enough lube so I came back in and cleaned it followed by a generous amount of oil. The next 50 rounds went through without one ftf. Great I thought! After coming back in and cleaning/lubing again I tried to manually cycle a few rounds through it and the problems returned. When dropping the slide from lock on a full mag I got it to do the same thing a few times. It's definitely better but I can't help but think I may need to just lightly polish either the feed ramp or the barrel ramp. I will attach some pics that show the markings that are being left on the bullet. The pic I have actually shows two markings on one bullet as I fed it twice.

I'll also attach some pics of my new grips for you guys that just like pictures. I am hesitant to send it back to Ruger again in hopes of an easy fix. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Well I got i back from Ruger today. They said the replaced the ejector and repaired / tuned the extractor. It has noticeably less tension than before. I lightly sprayed some lube in the gun and went out for the first 50 rounds. I had about 5-6 that did the same thing as before. Bullet seems to be catching either on the feed ramp or barrel ramp.

I thought maybe I didn't have enough lube so I came back in and cleaned it followed by a generous amount of oil. The next 50 rounds went through without one ftf. Great I thought! After coming back in and cleaning/lubing again I tried to manually cycle a few rounds through it and the problems returned. When dropping the slide from lock on a full mag I got it to do the same thing a few times. It's definitely better but I can't help but think I may need to just lightly polish either the feed ramp or the barrel ramp. I will attach some pics that show the markings that are being left on the bullet. The pic I have actually shows two markings on one bullet as I fed it twice.

I'll also attach some pics of my new grips for you guys that just like pictures. I am hesitant to send it back to Ruger again in hopes of an easy fix. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

First off that SR1911 is sexier than mine by a long shot.

Sucks that the problem keeps happening. Id saw some 3000 grit and some Grandmas polish on the feed ramps will help out quite a bit even though theyre pretty polished stock.

Wonder if your chamber is slightly tighter than spec (not sure if I said that before). Wish you were in Clarksville and we could compare barrels and look at the rounds in a case gauge and see how they compare.

Got a pair of calipers?
My inner chamber circumferance was .680" and the outer was .880"

I do have a set but they are back in Nashville along with all my other useful stuff haha. I have 150 more rounds so I may just shoot those through it. I manually cycled all the mags again and they didn't hang so it may just be a break in thing now. I am hesitant to do anything to the frame feed ramp since that is not replaceable. I may polish the barrel itself a bit of I still have problems in the next 150. I guess I just have to realize it isn't a glock hahaha.

• Like 1

I do have a set but they are back in Nashville along with all my other useful stuff haha. I have 150 more rounds so I may just shoot those through it. I manually cycled all the mags again and they didn't hang so it may just be a break in thing now. I am hesitant to do anything to the frame feed ramp since that is not replaceable. I may polish the barrel itself a bit of I still have problems in the next 150. I guess I just have to realize it isn't a glock hahaha.

I hear that man, cant beat a Glock even the haters know that.

1911s are usually really good - I do have a feeling it has more to do with break in now.

Keep us updated hope it unf--ks itself