Anyone have a door barricade on their front door?

If so, what kind?  I'm looking at them but have found out there are so many different kinds it's hard to know what's best. They all have the usual good and bad reviews. If you have one, please let me know what you have and any positives or negatives about it. I would be much appreciative.  :up:

I don't have one but I have seen in older homes in Cincinnati a Steel rod that had a plate in the flooring to hold the bottom and a plate in the door to hold the other end.  I doubt you can break through them.

A simpler solution would be a  2x4 that slips into brackets on the frame (assuming your door opens in) If it opens out then add brackets to the door itself.

If the burglar is determined the best you can do is hope to slow them down.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 4
I had a cheap aluminum "door bar" like Mike described, it was some cheapo ratcheting aluminum fork with a rubber pivot pad on the bottom. Kept douches from busting in my door at EOD school.

It was like $15 dollars and I replaced the cheap aluminum pins with stainless steel rods and put epoxy and machine screws on the fork part - NO ONE got through that thing.

If someone is determined theyll kick it down at the hinges but it sure as hell will slow someone down quite a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If I had to actually "break" in, meaning making noise, I'd choose a window. Sliding glass one preferably, so could just step in with no effort.

Course, a glass cutter to get to lock is preferable, much more discreet.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies. The 2x4 thing Mike.357 suggested is what I'm looking at right now. I don't live in a dump, but it is an older home and wouldn't be too noticeable and it seems like the cheapest way to go. I have a metal door with no windows so that's a plus. My main thought is to slow them down enough that I can be ready if they do get past it. There's been a few break-ins in the area I live in, but no home invasions yet. We can't be too careful though. The metal barracades I've found are good and cost around $80. Those wouldn't be that much more considering what they are and are much less noticeable but there are quite a few of them and all I've found is online like Amazon etc....I hate buying something that I can't check out first.  thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. The 2x4 thing Mike.357 suggested is what I'm looking at right now. I don't live in a dump, but it is an older home and wouldn't be too noticeable and it seems like the cheapest way to go. I have a metal door with no windows so that's a plus. ..

What kind of home has no windows?  Converted ammo bunker or something? ;)

But really, what, like a basement apartment or some such?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

What kind of home has no windows?  Converted ammo bunker or something? ;)

But really, what, like a basement apartment or some such?

- OS

UM, I have 1 room that has no windows. :cool: and you aint "cutting" into it ether.

• Like 1

I have a couple of these,  The thing I like about these is they can be stored away when not in use and it doesn't alter your entrance way.  Like others have said, nothing will stop a determined criminal but it will slow them down.    

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1448968764&sr=8-5&keywords=door+stopper

I have a couple of these,  The thing I like about these is they can be stored away when not in use and it doesn't alter your entrance way.  Like others have said, nothing will stop a determined criminal but it will slow them down.    

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1448968764&sr=8-5&keywords=door+stopper

Yep....wake me up and slow them down is the plan. If I can gain just a few seconds, it might make a big difference. My neighborhood is changing slowly based on news reports of crap happening nearby and all around. I'm just wanting to add time on my end in case of home invasion type of scenario. The windows of my house are too high for someone to break and get into quickly and I have an alert dog that would wake me in that case. But a kick the door in and be on us in a few seconds scenario is what I'm wanting to eliminate. I have a 7 round pistol grip 870 with buckshot and a glock 27 by the bed with 2 extra mags for self defense. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check those out also. Home depot has those in the store I just found out.

Edited by Randall53

Home depot has those in the store I just found out.

Yep.  We got ours at Home Depot.   I linked the Amazon site since they were a little cheaper.    The good thing about the Home Depot route is you can check it out in person to see if you wanted to purchase, and it would be easier to return if you didn't like it.   

• Like 1

Use or add one of these, it will slow them down and make sure they know you know they are there. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Swann-Security-Doorstop-Alarm-SWHOM-DOORST-GL/203763842?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100309050-_-203763842-_-N

dd67d817-83f5-4a09-a0f2-42edaedab5ae_100

We have devices similar to this from Sentry Alert or Sentry First or something like that. Besides being annoyingly loud whenever you set one off they proved to be pretty robust in destructive testing. My goal is not to prevent entry because a few good swings with a sledge hammer will take care of 98% of the hinges out there but to stop someone from picking the lock and also give an audible alarm should someone try to get in. These are also handy for those of us that travel a lot. I put one down whenever I am in a hotel.

Public Service Announcement: If you use these and end up coming home a day early but late at night make sure your wife is REALLY awake when you call her to let her know you are headed in. If not, you will set the alarm off and if your wife does as rehearsed she will lock the bedroom door, retrieve her pistol and call the police. At that point it is best to be sitting somewhere very visible and stationary so that the responding officers have no reason to get extra excited... Trust me on this...

Mark

• Like 2

Use or add one of these, it will slow them down and make sure they know you know they are there. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Swann-Security-Doorstop-Alarm-SWHOM-DOORST-GL/203763842?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100309050-_-203763842-_-N

dd67d817-83f5-4a09-a0f2-42edaedab5ae_100

We have devices similar to this from Sentry Alert or Sentry First or something like that. Besides being annoyingly loud whenever you set one off they proved to be pretty robust in destructive testing. My goal is not to prevent entry because a few good swings with a sledge hammer will take care of 98% of the hinges out there but to stop someone from picking the lock and also give an audible alarm should someone try to get in. These are also handy for those of us that travel a lot. I put one down whenever I am in a hotel.

Public Service Announcement: If you use these and end up coming home a day early but late at night make sure your wife is REALLY awake when you call her to let her know you are headed in. If not, you will set the alarm off and if your wife does as rehearsed she will lock the bedroom door, retrieve her pistol and call the police. At that point it is best to be sitting somewhere very visible and stationary so that the responding officers have no reason to get extra excited... Trust me on this...

Mark

LOL.....I sense there is a very humorous story here?

For a brief moment humor was far from my mind but the PD was a good department and they had an older officer with them who knew me so things calmed down quickly.

Better was seeing my wife react as we planned.

She was still madder than a wet hen though...

2x4s plus brackets that are readily available at Lowes is a very simple and cost effective measure.  I have mine for similar reasons, I know they won't stop a committed intruder, but they will create time and noise.  A wedge type device is very easy to carry with when you travel.  

I use one of these as well and saw an interview with a sercurity expert who said good things about this tuype of device.  

One thing I noticed is the I have to keep it rotated so that gravity keeps the metal pin in place.  There are plenty of ways to fix that, which is what I plan on doing.  I like the way that nothing has to be installed.  

I'm not looking for this to keep them out forever - just long enough to hear them, hop out of bed and clear the cobwebs and introduce them to my Mossberg 500 Tactical aka 'The Thumper'.

Good ideas here. I'm going to get some of those wedge devices especially since I travel a lot. The problem with my house is so many windows. The front door is mostly glass, next to the big dinning room window. The back doors are all double french glass doors, etc. I wasn't very security conscience when we bought the house. I awoke from my blindness soon after moving in and realized how vulnerable this house was. I have secured it best I can, but so much glass makes it difficult. Edited by Wingshooter

My son hung two security doors here....And I have security bars on my bottom windows.  Like most people ya never think about a brake in until it happens.  He also put security lighting outside and a drive way alarm.  It's gettin nasty out there!!!!!!

I have often wondered about putting in exterior doors that open outward so they have to pull them open, I think that would be a lot harder than kicking them in. You can't just turn door around as the hinge pins would be exposed to outside.

I think code dictates they open in for fire escape reasons, so might have to switch them back to sell. Probably would be harder to force entry with them turned around though. Maybe installing a good locking storm door would also slow down a kicked in door.

I have often wondered about putting in exterior doors that open outward so they have to pull them open, I think that would be a lot harder than kicking them in. You can't just turn door around as the hinge pins would be exposed to outside.

It's not the door that's the weak spot. The jamb is what breaks when kicked. No matter what direction it's facing it's going to go in with no problem unless the jamb is reinforced

• Like 1

ya wont brake my doors in .......they swing out and look like jail house doors.....the jam has a protectve plate in front of it and the hinges are what they call "vault" type....no bolt acess......I payed $400.00 each about five years ago.