Nashville Mayor wasting no time...

As it has been said in the other threads, all of this is going on to get closer to the ultimate goal of closing down the fairgrounds for redevelopment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agree. It's not about guns, although it is a handy convenience to the liberal leaning mayor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

At this point if the skies opened up and Jesus spoke to the People on this issue and said the guns where bought someplace else they would call him a liar and continue to move forward on the liberal agenda. I quit going to gun shows in 2008 as many of the merchants at them are mostly local gun stores anyway so if I am looking for a gun I go to m local gun store and shop...........jmho

• Like 1

I would think that would be easy to prove one way or another.  The chain of custody from manufacturer to distributer to FFL can be traced, if the FFL (at the gun show) can't show where these weapons were purchased legally, then there is a problem.  But in all three cases, if a background check WAS conducted, then the issue is with the TBI not the gun show and FFLs.  Once someone legally purchases a gun, what they do with it is their issue and their issue alone, not the gun shop.  Its like holding my Toyota dealership liable for selling me a truck which I then get drunk and run someone over with.

To be clear though, they are not saying the firearms were purchased from a dealer.  They simply say they were purchased at the gun show.  The implication being it was a person to person transaction where there was no background check, therefore a felon was able to get a gun more easily than if they were forced to go through a background check.  

The direct logic is correct of course if one believes a felon will follow the law to begin with even if backgrounds checks were mandatory.  We all know that isn't the case.  

I am personally not against background checks, but they should be free and easily accessible for anyone who wants to do one.  It should simply state if the person is legal or not to purchase with something as simple as a DL and DOB.  If they want people to do it on thier own free will, they need to make it easy to check and free.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Logic does not exist with anti-gunners!

To be fair, I am not sure it exists with all 'Gunners" either.  I don't think anti-gunners have the market cornered on illogical deductive reasoning although I have to admit they can certainly stretch it further it seems.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

As it has been said in the other threads, all of this is going on to get closer to the ultimate goal of closing down the fairgrounds for redevelopment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't live in Nashville, but this seems to be the goal to me and the anti gunners can kill 2 birds with one stone by getting the opportunity to bash those "evil" gun shows at the same time promoting their agenda and getting a lot of air time in the local MSM.

• Like 1

This isn't about guns. It's about real estate development.  The gun show is merely the low-hanging fruit. It's hard to work up interest in banning arts and craft shows. Once they eliminate enough fairgrounds' revenue, they'll close the fairgrounds and develop it. I would bet that the mayor will benefit financially in some way from this real estate development. 

• Like 3

Sounds like a red herring to me.  As one "famous" commentator often says "Follow the money..."  That's what this is all about.  Metro government (and the real-estate developers) want the $$$ that redevelopment of the fairgrounds will provide.  Charging a substantial parking fee didn't discourage people.  Allowing income producing activities to operate there isn't supporting this plan either.  Plus they have financed expensive convention facilities that need paying activities to meet the bills.

If you don't like what Nashville is becoming spending your money outside "Metropolitan Nashville/Davidson County" is the most powerful protest you can make.  I recall very well when Nashville had a total hold on retail.  Remember when Church Street was the place?  Then the malls, several of which are about ghost towns today or have been converted to office/medical facilities.

With the development of retail/restaurants/etc. in the surrounding counties Metro Nashville is no longer the 8,000 pound gorilla that they still see themselves to be. 

You hit the nail right on the head. I've said all along, when Karl Dean tried to put the Fairgrounds ot of business so he could sell it off to his developer buddies, the new Mama bitch ( Barry ), is doing the same with a different tactic. Parking fee didn't work, so just stop the shows.  I agree with another poster, best thing would be for a private venue & tell Metro to shove it up their a--.

Goodmans' show is not one of favorite places to go, seldom do, but the principle is the issue here.

May go this weekend somtime, just because I still can. Sucks!!

• Like 1

I sat next to then Mayoral candidate Berry at a chamber of commerce meeting during the campaign.  She's very engaging and we talked.  Once she discovered my hot button was 2nd Amendment issues and gun carry, she  went to great lengths to inform, me that not tony was she a 'big' supporter of the 2nd Amendment, but that she also had recently gotten her Handgun Carry Permit!  Well.  I was blown away for a second, thinking, maybe I misread her, lol.  But then when I asked her what did she carry, she replied, oh I don't own a gun or carry, but I support your right to, in certain places, lol.  Then we had an argument (discussion) about the then in the news, guns in parks issue.

Whether or not she had a say in this particular issue or not, it fits with the liberal agenda, plus like someone else said earlier, follow the money.  At least the last mayor openly admitted his plans for that property.

Im not one who buys guns at gun shows usually, but I do like being around that many of them and also enjoy all things related to guns.

Edited by barewoolf

I'm shocked. Nashville wanted a liberal mayor and they got one. Give it a few years and it will be known as San Frannasville. It wasn't that many years ago Nashville was a pretty nice place.

They could also look at Memphis and see how bad it appears to be. I have not been there. Family has and said it was a pretty nice city at one point and then went to hell.

• Like 1

I want to add this to the mix:
f2c48386b578c8c9bdbce24b90476b6b.jpg

I was wondering if that attack ( God rest the souls of the victims) was some type of propaganda hoax. I mean if those types of weapons are banned someone would not have them right? Also murder is illegal so no one would do that as well.

• Like 1

Now Berry has made a statement that she had zero influence on the decision and wants to go through the proper channels to make sure that the decision that the board made was just and legal.  I have to give her credit for this. 

Maybe it has to do with TFA putting some pressure on. Here are two recent emails. I don't agree that John has a legal leg with the preemption statute, but then again he's the lawyer not me.

------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 12/01/15
CONTACT - johnharris@tennesseefirearms.com

Nashville Says "NO" To Gun Shows At Fairgrounds

Tennessee Firearms Association Claims Abuse of Power

NASHVILLE, TN: The Tennessee Firearms Association's Executive Director, John Harris, today expressed outrage at Nashville's decision to ban gun shows at the city's publicly owned Fairgrounds which has allowed gun shows for decades.

"Today, Nashville, under its new liberal Mayor, has thumbed its nose at Nashville gun enthusiasts by voiding a long-standing tradition of allowing gun shows at the centrally-located and publicly-owned Nashville Fairgrounds." Harris continued, "Tennessee continues to suffer from the chronic infringement of its citizens' Constitutional rights by elected officials who refuse to keep their oaths of office to 'preserve, protect and defend' those same rights. Their actions are a clear abuse of power."

The Tennessee Legislature has enacted legislation that removes this authority and discretion from local government officials likely in response to prior abuses.  But much like those elected officials in other cities who openly defy federal immigration laws by creating "sanctuary cities", Mayor Megan Barry apparently feels compelled to join their brazen lawlessness by denying lawful business from being transacted in a public space and infringing the rights of people all over Middle Tennessee to engage in lawful commerce involving firearms and ammunition.

Harris says that Tennessee law is clear. "State law already prohibits local governments from engaging in any form of 'regulation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition, or combinations thereof including, but not limited to, the use, purchase, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, carrying, sale, acquisition, gift, devise, licensing, registration, storage, and transportation thereof. Mayor Barry progressive leadership of Nashville is clearly in violation of that statute and the city needs to be held accountable for it."

Harris concluded, "TFA will be opposing this and other unlawful and unconstitutional practices by elected officials. We will stand up for the 2nd Amendment and gun owners in Tennessee against this intentional usurpation of our God-given rights as citizens to engage in lawful conduct on public property."

The TFA has confirmed also that the Bill Goodman Gun Show that is scheduled at the Nashville Fairgrounds for this weekend will be conducted as scheduled.

Those seeking more information should check the Tennessee Firearms Association's website at www.tennesseefirearms.com

The Tennessee Firearms Association was founded in 1995 and was formed to defend the right to keep and bear arms and to educate the citizenry on the responsible use, ownership and carrying of firearms. The TFA is Tennessee's only no-compromise gun group.

----------------------------

And the second:

Dear TFA Member and 2nd Amendment Supporter:

You have probably heard by now that the city of Nashville, under the leadership of Megan Barry, has now declared war on gun owners and legitimate business activities by attempting to prohibit gun shows from taking place at the Nashville Fairgrounds as they have for more than three decades!   This assault is an affront to gun owners, gun dealers and gun show promoters.

The good news is that the Tennessee Firearms Association is working closely with the Bill Goodman Gun Shows and the RK Shows to make sure that gunshows continue be held at the Nashville Fairgrounds.  Please carefully consider the important message from Bill Goodman Gun Show:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 12/03/15
CONTACT - Dave Goodman (502) 538-6900
ProGun@GunShow.net
www.GunShow.net

After Thirty-Five Years, Nashville Fairgrounds Tells
Bill Goodman's Gun & Knife Show It Is Unwelcome

NASHVILLE, TN: For over 35 years, Bill Goodman's Gun & Knife Show has been a monthly fixture at the fairgrounds in Nashville. But yesterday, the Fair Board unilaterally decided to end its long-standing relationship, effective January 1st, 2016, despite the fact that Goodman has already contractually booked monthly events at the fairgrounds through the end of 2016.

(THE GUN SHOW SCHEDULED FOR THIS WEEKEND AT NASHVILLE FAIRGROUNDS DEC 5-6 IS NOT AFFECTED AND WILL GO ON AS PLANNED! HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE).

Bowing to political pressures, and fueled by confusion as to the so-called gun show "loophole," the Fair Board enacted a broad policy banning gun shows at its facilities altogether. "It is disappointing that the Fair Board has chosen to go down this path," said Dave Goodman, the promotor behind the Goodman shows. "We have been a loyal partner with the Fair Board for the better part of four decades. When others left for greener pastures, we stayed. I can't imagine that there is any other show or event with a longer running, more regular track record of partnership with the Fair Board than ours."

"We certainly understand that, as a part of the firearm industry, we operate in a world that is not only highly regulated, but also highly politicized," Goodman added. "It is important for the public to know that every law and regulation that applies to sales of firearms outside of a gun show applies just as equally inside a gun show. And while it is not required by law, all of our vendors at our Nashville shows are federally licensed firearm dealers and must adhere to the same requirements as if a transaction were taking place in their own stores. We regularly invite local and federal law enforcement agencies to attend our shows, and it is a standing policy that free booth space is available to ATF at every show should they wish to take advantage of that for educational or other purposes."

Goodman does not have any plans of going away quietly noting that "the law-abiding people of middle Tennessee have supported us for the better part of 35 years, and they deserve to have access to the type of events that the Fair Board is trying to take away. We are exploring our options, but we believe that Tennessee's preemption statute, Constitutional concerns, right of access, and other issues prohibit what the Fair Board is trying to do."

TFA is encouraging everyone who can to attend and support the Bill Goodman Gun Show this weekend and to let Mayor Megan Barry and the city of Nashville know, loud and clear, that we will not tolerate assaults on our rights as gun owners to purchase firearms and ammunition.

Those seeking more information should check the Tennessee Firearms Association's website at www.tennesseefirearms.com

The Tennessee Firearms Association was founded in 1995 and was formed to defend the right to keep and bear arms and to educate the citizenry on the responsible use, ownership and carrying of firearms. The TFA is Tennessee's only no-compromise gun group.

- OS

• Like 1

I was told this week that the City of Knoxville is turning management of Chillhowee park over the the management group that manages the Knoxville Convention Center. And that this group will no longer allow guns shows at the Park, if they legally can.  If they can't stop them all together, then they will consider charging a fee for parking.  It's my opinion that would pretty much kill a gun show at the Jacobs Building.  I know I would not spend $5 or $10 to park and another $10 to get in the show.

• Like 2

I was told this week that the City of Knoxville is turning management of Chillhowee park over the the management group that manages the Knoxville Convention Center. And that this group will no longer allow guns shows at the Park, if they legally can.  If they can't stop them all together, then they will consider charging a fee for parking.  It's my opinion that would pretty much kill a gun show at the Jacobs Building.  I know I would not spend $5 or $10 to park and another $10 to get in the show.

Wow. Thanks for posting. (the "like" is not because I liked the news, of course :))

Jeez, TN is surely going the opposite way from the Patron State of Shootin Stuff than even I counted on.

Since 'bout every other show is at the Expo, I almost all go there when I do go, but sure hate to see the venerable old Jacobs venue cut off.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Actually, I won't miss it much. The ones I miss are the Kerbela shows, in my younger days. I remember going in there and there would be tables piled with mil surp rifles. That was when you could buy a mil surp M1 carbine for $300 with the real paratrooper stock! Sure wish I'd have purchased a few of those!

I've never been a fan of the Jacobs building shows.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped

Actually, I won't miss it much. The ones I miss are the Kerbela shows, in my younger days. I remember going in there and there would be tables piled with mil surp rifles. That was when you could buy a mil surp M1 carbine for $300 with the real paratrooper stock! Sure wish I'd have purchased a few of those!

I've never been a fan of the Jacobs building shows.

I went to some Kerbela shows when I was in college in the 60's. Whippersnapper. ;)

Seriously, I won't miss the Jacobs venue too much either if that happens, except doing private deals on the front steps is nicer than at Expo. I mainly fear that no other venue will pick up the slack if goes off the rotation.

- OS

• Like 1

From a business standpoint, or, more precisely, the business of running a city, I can understand cities distancing themselves from, and eliminating anything to do with, the sale of guns on public property.
It makes perfect since to limit the city's culpability and potential liability, both to protect the assets of the taxpayer/city, by not exposing itself to unnecessary risk, and from a public relations standpoint. It's much easier to just say "no" and to offend the few than to continue to allow it and to expose itself to a potential lawsuit.
I realize that the same case could be made for the city disallowing the carry of firearms on public property, but that is a right guaranteed by the constitution and one for which I'm willing to fight/support financially.
The right to hold gun shows on public property is not constitutionally protected, and is quite frankly going the way of the dodo bird. Maybe not this week or year, but soon.
In today's litigious society, it makes no sense to allow it.
Furthermore, gun shows at the Fair Grounds suck.

Flame
Away
:)

You supported with your last sentence, what my friend also told me about the fair grounds show in Nashville, but I wasn't going to say anything, since I have never been to a show there and had no personal experience.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped