Meat Grinder

So, I'm in the market for an electric meat grinder and have been reading up on a few.  These things range in price and power but not necessarily connected.  ATM I am leaning toward the LEM #8 for around $200, but have seen another #8 for around $100 but I think it's not the same power or quality.  So, I'm looking to see what everyone on here is using, how you like it, pros and cons and price etc.

I have a hand cranked one that really does a good job, but it's the one that clamps on to a table and we just replaced the island table with one that's too thick for it.  So I guess it may be time to upgrade.  I have scoured craigslist for one but nothing really comes up, so a used one isn't out of the question.

BTW if this should be in the gear area one of you mods can move it, but I figured hunters would be more likely to have one, so I chose this area.

I recently bought the LEM #8 Big Bite, but have not used it yet.  It has a 5 yr warranty,  gets decent reviews, has all metal gears, which I have read is important. I believe there is generally a direct correlation between how much the grinder actually weighs and its power and durability. 

I bought a Chard #8(i believe) that was on sale at Dunhams sports for $59.00. Used it to make about 10lbs of Sausage. Worked well for me but I have nothing to compare it too other than chuncks went in and hamburger then sausgae came out. Seemed to grind it up easily.

I probably grind more deer than the average hunter and I use a food processor.  We had one that was 30 years old that we've used for the past 3 years.  I told my wife the other day that I wanted a serious meat grinder and she comes at me with a 14 cup food processor from Hamilton Beach, she brought it home the next day and it set us back $50.  I ground parts of two deer that had been in my cooler for a few days on Sunday afternoon.  It took me about 15 minutes to grind up around 20 pounds of meat.  Certainly faster than she could package it with the vacuum packer.  I know it's a little unconventional but it has worked great for me.  The only other meat grinders that I've used are the hand crank variety which I do not recommend.

I've been looking at this a while now, and from all I've read and heard the best options are either a Cabelas unit, which are pricey but are apparently REALLY nice and have a great warranty.... or my bro-in-law who was a chef for a long time said you can sometimes score a good deal on one from the used restaurant / butcher supply place downtown. Don't know the name of it. I'm leaning towards the Cabelas... just not ready to drop that kinda coin

I probably grind more deer than the average hunter and I use a food processor.  We had one that was 30 years old that we've used for the past 3 years.  I told my wife the other day that I wanted a serious meat grinder and she comes at me with a 14 cup food processor from Hamilton Beach, she brought it home the next day and it set us back $50.  I ground parts of two deer that had been in my cooler for a few days on Sunday afternoon.  It took me about 15 minutes to grind up around 20 pounds of meat.  Certainly faster than she could package it with the vacuum packer.  I know it's a little unconventional but it has worked great for me.  The only other meat grinders that I've used are the hand crank variety which I do not recommend.

Alton Brown uses one to make hamburger and that man knows how to cook. I liked him better before he turned into a metrosexual. I guess I should stay out of Bed Bath and Beyond before I go calling anyone a metrosexual.
  • Like 1