MASSIVE Yellow Jacket wasp nest in Florida

I had a nest of yellow jackets form in our barn last year. I ignored them for a while, but then it got to where you couldn't walk by without getting stung. I keep bees, so I have a suit like the guy in the video. I donned it and went to work. It was freaky getting covered in them, and they viciously were attacking me. My bees will buzz around me and maybe one or two get aggressive, but I literally had hundreds of yellow jackets all over me, trying to sting me. They were very persistent and got through the suit and I got stung about dozen times, but in the end I was victorious. 

The tree-hugger in me said "that ecosystem just got seriously messed up".
But, I did take out two large colonies in the ground on my property this year though, so who am I to talk.

I had two of them as well. Big nest on the side of spring, and an even bigger one with several tunnels in the mound of dirt in our dog pen.

When I saw the multiple enterance and exit points, I really almost backed off. But fear of them aside, I got a couple of squeeze bottles and tried to cover as many of them as I could. Really doused them with some old gas, stood back and threw a small limb I'd lit and ducked for cover.

I might have overdone the fuel though. Had a mini explosion when my flaming stick struck the saturated ground.

But it seemed to get them. I rooted around in it a week later and found a few more that I dispatched with some spray and ground stomping.
  • Like 1

Our neighbor has a few acres of woods behind our house with lots of wildlife (for the city) and something comes and digs the nests out of the ground every fall to get at the honey I guess. Makes getting rid of the hive a lot easier for me.

Yellow jackets (wasps) don't make honey. They are predators.

Yeah I read that they help control other insect populations. Maybe it's some other contents of the nest that are tasty. Larva or something?
Edited to add that I just read that racoons and skunks dig up the nests in the fall and eat the yellow jackets while they're in the hive at night. Ouch

Yet another reason why it sucks to be a skunk ...