Anyone recently get their HCP?

It appears some things have changed with acquiring a handgun carry permit since I moved. I was told the shooting requirement has changed but I can't find anything online.

Also, I was told you can regiester online and that you have to provide a picture to the DMV instead of having them take one.

Can anyone confirm? My wife and I are taking the class next week.

I know they went to a smaller target shot at closer range than the first class I attended. Only reaso I know that is because I let my permit expire and got to do it all over agai when I returned from Fla.

If I'm not mistaken, the class requirement is 50 rounds. Does anyone know how the number of rounds and distances?

Smaller target, 50 rounds, 3 yards, 7 yards and 21 yards. After you pass class you go to DMV to apply, then call 800 number for an appointment to be fingerprinted. I took my class on a Saturday, DMV on Monday, prints on Tuesday and had my HCP 2 weeks later. There's a link about it under the women's section. Piece of cake. Scored 100 on written and 96 on target. I had 4 squirrelly shots thanks to FTE issues.
  • Like 1

Geeze...21 yards? That's going to be difficult with my wife's pocket gun..She may have to attempt it with something else.

We just applied online so I'm assuming that eliminate the trip to the DMV.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

Geeze...21 yards? That's going to be difficult with my wife's pocket gun..She may have to attempt it with something else.

We just applied online so I'm assuming that eliminate the trip to the DMV.

Feet maybe? Sorry, I've had a long day. Animals and guns. You apply online but you still have to go to the DMV after the class. Like I said, there's a whole thread on it under women and shooting or whatever the subject is. It was when I was nervous about going. Yeah, for sure feet not yards now that I think about it.
3, 5 and 7 yards. 21 feet is the longest. I don't remember shot break down but it was 50 rounds total. It was very easy to pass, I dropped one shot and got a 99 if I remeber right. You need to register online first, then take that number to the class and they file your certificate electronically. I took the class on a Saturday and had the permit in hand the next monday.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 3
20 shots at 3 yds, 20 at 5 yds, 10 at 7 yds. Passing score 70 or better. Center zone of target (yellow zone) hits count 2 pts each. Peripheral hits ( blue ) count 1 pt. With basic, minimal skill one should pass before the target gets to the 7 yd line. Register with state online before class and obtain confirmation number. Mandatory for class and score submission.
  • Like 1

Took the course and got my HCP a couple of months ago and they said the average score was 96. In our group I think the worst score was 96, most were 100s and 99s. As of then the DMV did photos and UPS store did the finger printing. Very easy and fast. Took course on Saturday, DMV on Monday, UPS on Tuesday. Logged on Tuesday night and it said I was approved and the license should arrive in next 2 weeks and it showed up about a week later.

3,5, and 7 yards is the distance. 20 shots at 3 yds, 20 shots at 5 yds and 10 shots at 7 yds.. really easy just put all shots in the circle and u will be fine, even though u only need 70% to pass. couple of women at mine had never fired a handgun before and they all passed 

• Like 1

3, 5 and 7 yards. 21 feet is the longest. I don't remember shot break down but it was 50 rounds total. It was very easy to pass, I dropped one shot and got a 99 if I remeber right. You need to register online first, then take that number to the class and they file your certificate electronically. I took the class on a Saturday and had the permit in hand the next monday.

Sent from behind the anvil

Spots is spot on (see what I did there) with the distances and how easy it is. I did my class in the middle of the day in August, feeling like I was a melting wax figure with sweat in my eyes and shot in the upper 90's.

One thing I'd recommend is scheduling your fingerprints in advance for a day after you finish the class and the DMV trip. Since you have to go to a 3rd party service (cost is covered in the HCP application) they may be booked up. I actually drove to Lebanon since the Murfreesboro place didn't have an opening for like 1-2 weeks or something.
You will definitely be shooting 50 rounds total. As for the distances, they could have blind folded me and I still would have passed.

1. Fill out online application
2. Print confirmation #
3. Register for class, bring conf#
4. Pass Class
5. Birth Certificate and Drivers license to DMV, then pay
6. Finger prints
7. Good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smaller target, 50 rounds, 3 yards, 7 yards and 21 yards. After you pass class you go to DMV to apply, then call 800 number for an appointment to be fingerprinted. I took my class on a Saturday, DMV on Monday, prints on Tuesday and had my HCP 2 weeks later. There's a link about it under the women's section. Piece of cake. Scored 100 on written and 96 on target. I had 4 squirrelly shots thanks to FTE issues.

I took the class this week.  It was

20 rounds at 3 yards 

20 rounds at 5 yards

10 rounds at 7 yards

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

I took the class this week. It was
20 rounds at 3 yards
20 rounds at 5 yards
10 rounds at 7 yards

Thanks
Robert

I got my feet confused with yards. I do that a lot cause I'm SMRT! ;) Also, I was confused at the Birth Certificate and had of course lost mine. As a non-Tennesseean at birth, when you renew your license the first time they require it. I was shocked I needed it again for HCP so I paid the $80 and had it rushed from Michigan. For nothing. They had it on file. Oy.
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished mine in September.  Our instructor said they score 2 points per shot.  I think a score of 70 or greater is passing.  In theory, if you got all of the shots at 3 and 5 yards, you could just not even try the 7 yard shots and you would still pass.  I don't think anyone in our group did that since any hits would count for you and unfired shots would be considered "misses".

It took about 2 weeks to actually receive the permit after the dashboard web site said I was "approved".

• 2 weeks later...

It appears some things have changed with acquiring a handgun carry permit since I moved. I was told the shooting requirement has changed but I can't find anything online.

Also, I was told you can regiester online and that you have to provide a picture to the DMV instead of having them take one.

Can anyone confirm? My wife and I are taking the class next week.

I just did the DMV and finger printing today for my permit.  They took my picture using the same cameria you use for taking Driver License pictures.

• 2 weeks later...