Anyone recently get their HCP?

When I took the class in 98 and then again in 2009 (after moving back into TN) it was 48 rounds.   In both classes they just said to shoot two eyes in your target.    I guess at sometime someone realized that 48 rounds was stupid and and added two shots to one of the distances.

According to there website I have been approved and they are sending mine.  The website says 10 Business Days from this point.  So I should have it in the next new weeks.  Yah :)

Thanks

Robert

Still hasn't shown up :( .  Waiting this seems to take forever.

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1
None, you can even use a 22 in the class but it's not recommended. I would use what I plan to carry to reduce any liability.

The course of fire is VERY easy. My wife was worried so we have practiced it. She shot a passing score 80% the first time and she hadn't even fired 100 rounds in her whole life. By the 3rd try she shot a perfect score. She's using an M&P shield and a Sig P320 both in 9mm. The Sig is is easier to shoot mostly because of a longer sight radius.

COF is:
20rnds at 3 yds
20rnds at 5yds
10rnds at 7yds

Target is a B29 scored:
shots inside the 7 ring or touching it = 2pts
Shots outside the 7 ring but in the colored area 1pt
70% or better to pass

None, you can even use a 22 in the class but it's not recommended. I would use what I plan to carry to reduce any liability.

The course of fire is VERY easy. My wife was worried so we have practiced it. She shot a passing score 80% the first time and she hadn't even fired 100 rounds in her whole life. By the 3rd try she shot a perfect score. She's using an M&P shield and a Sig P320 both in 9mm. The Sig is is easier to shoot mostly because of a longer sight radius.

COF is:
20rnds at 3 yds
20rnds at 5yds
10rnds at 7yds

Target is a B29 scored:
shots inside the 7 ring or touching it = 2pts
Shots outside the 7 ring but in the colored area 1pt
70% or better to pass

The rentals during my recent HCP class were all .22lr handguns most were Rugar Mx's with their long barrels.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

I have no problem using a 22. My concern would be down the road if there was ever litigation about a shooting incident and there were stray rounds that it might come back to haunt you. I'd hate to have it said that I qualified with a 22 and then missed with a 9,40,45 etc.

For me a 22 is a great plinking gun, and is very useful for diagnosing and correcting trigger control issues. and I use them in competition as well. Not for me as a defense weapon unless that was all O could use for some other reason such as physical disability or I couldn't afford a more powerful weapon.

Use what you need to to get your permit, but practice with what you carry and document your performance with it if you can.

I have no problem using a 22. My concern would be down the road if there was ever litigation about a shooting incident and there were stray rounds that it might come back to haunt you. I'd hate to have it said that I qualified with a 22 and then missed with a 9,40,45 etc.

For me a 22 is a great plinking gun, and is very useful for diagnosing and correcting trigger control issues. and I use them in competition as well. Not for me as a defense weapon unless that was all O could use for some other reason such as physical disability or I couldn't afford a more powerful weapon.

Use what you need to to get your permit, but practice with what you carry and document your performance with it if you can.

No where in your paper work does it say what gun you used.  The instructor in my case just recorded my score and that was it.  The only way someone would know is if they asked you and you told them.  Also the one thing the instructor was very clear on "You are responsible for every bullet and where it goes" that means it doesn't matter if you qualified with a .22lr or a you managed to get your hands on a THUNDER .50 BMG Pistol and used that.  A stray bullet that goes someplace you didn't mean it to go will get you into trouble no matter what. 

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle
  • Like 1
I agree about the instructors comments fir sure. I guess that my background and past history living in NY state makes me think differently. It's she that I grew up having to think like that but there it is...

It's good that they don't keep a record, but I guess they probably recorded somewhere that you rented a gun and it was a 22. Hopefully it would never matter!

In the end shoot what you need to to get the permit, and then shoot what you depend on for defense as much as possible. Practice, practice, practice.?

I agree about the instructors comments fir sure. I guess that my background and past history living in NY state makes me think differently. It's she that I grew up having to think like that but there it is...

It's good that they don't keep a record, but I guess they probably recorded somewhere that you rented a gun and it was a 22. Hopefully it would never matter!

In the end shoot what you need to to get the permit, and then shoot what you depend on for defense as much as possible. Practice, practice, practice.?

I came from Maryland I understand battered resident syndrome more then many.  I actually believe that using hand loaded ammo could be a problem after the shoot but this is even too far into the mud even for me.  In my case everyone paid cash to the instructor and as far as I know no nothing was written down.  But how would anyone know if I brought in my Glock 19 or my Glock 19 with it TSG .22 adaptor?  This month the instructor and myself might remember.  6 month from now who knows.  2 years from now not even myself could tell you for certain and no way could the instructor unless he took the time to write it down when there is no place in any of the paperwork to do that and then the other person's lawyer would have to ask the instructor and the instructor would decide he would need to pull his person notes from how many years ago?  Never going to happen especially from something that at best is trivial.

In the end I agree.  Shoot what you depend on for defense and practice, practice, and practice.

Thanks

Robert