357magnum

Oprymills/Opryland hotel?

Was curious if either the mall or the hotel prohibit carrying your handgun? Was planning on doing some shopping and checking out the christmas lights this weekend, and wondering if i can carry concealed there... legally lol

Thanks

I've never seen any signage at the hotel.

At Shopry Mills, there's a long list of "Rules" posted on the wall near each entrance. Somewhere down that list it says something like "No weapons". It's definitely not statutorily compliant with TCA 39-17-1359, but nobody knows for sure if that matters or not because none of us know of a case where a person was charged with carrying past a non-conforming sign.

Edited by monkeylizard

We stayed in the hotel and shopped the mall last year. I "forgot" to look for signs :shrug:

I didn't notice anything obvious. Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

The hotel was not posted last time I was there I cc at the mall on a regular basis they changed their signs after the flood and the last time i checked it they had removed the no weapons verbiage which was a while back I have never had any problems there because i don't check my shirt tail every 10 sec so if it rides up it rides up to busy chasing a three year old the theater in the mall is posted so don't go there the Opry house is posted don't know about the building that has ice in it never been there Edited by raildog

ICE! is in the Opry Events Center. That's the big steel building with the green roof between the mall and the hotel. I'm also ignorant to its current posted status.

357magnum, be sure to park at the mall, not the hotel. The hotel charges parking. You can walk for free from the mall lot to the hotel.

• Like 1

Ok thank for the info! I feel as if a place does not have an obvious sign up on the door, one can not be legally punished for entering. There seems to be just to many grey areas and  not enough clear answers when carrying concealed.. 

• Like 1

Bottom line, I carry anywhere and everywhere I go. I don't give a rat's ass. It's up to us to protect ourselves during the reign of our current tyrant-in-chief. 

• Like 2

Ok thank for the info! I feel as if a place does not have an obvious sign up on the door, one can not be legally punished for entering. There seems to be just to many grey areas and  not enough clear answers when carrying concealed..

I think it’s pretty clear. The only grey areas are for those who seem to think a posting is not legal for one reason or another. Unless you want to test them in court; assume it’s posted.

However as was stated above, we have never seen anyone charged with carrying past a sign. It appears that in most situations the cops have given a trespass warning and sent them on their way. I don’t look all over the side of a building before I go in, but some are pretty obvious.

Tennessee does not make a distinction between concealed/open carry. So if you think you are in violation open carrying; you are in violation concealed carrying.
  • Like 2

I'm taking the family here from Atlanta and was wondering if anyone knows anything more concrete. We're staying at the hotel for the weekend and plan to stay at the Opryland complex the whole time. I'm not used to having signs carry any weight so should I just lock my carry piece in the hotel safe or it safe to carry legally?

When we went through our carry class,,,our instructor was a sheriff deputy.....he explained it was this way... it is an extension of your home when staying in a hotel or motel room,,,,,,a lawyer they may have a different view...the tn law refers  to a  Residence as– a dwelling in which a person resides, either temporarily or permanently, or is visiting as an invited guest, 

he said that since a hotel room is your temporarily residence you would be able to have your firearm in the room for protection and are allowed to walk through the lobby to get to and from the your room with the firearm even if the hotel was posted,,,,

He also said you are an idiot to stay in a hotel or motel that was or posted  which i agree :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:.

I am not saying this is legal but how he explained it!!!!

So it sounds like I should be safe to at least take it to my room and lock it up in the event signs prove too restrictive for my movements. Thanks for the help.

When we went through our carry class,,,our instructor was a sheriff deputy.....he explained it was this way... it is an extension of your home when staying in a hotel or motel room,,,,,,a lawyer they may have a different view...the tn law refers  to a  Residence as– a dwelling in which a person resides, either temporarily or permanently, or is visiting as an invited guest, 

he said that since a hotel room is your temporarily residence you would be able to have your firearm in the room for protection and are allowed to walk through the lobby to get to and from the your room with the firearm even if the hotel was posted,,,,

He also said you are an idiot to stay in a hotel or motel that was or posted  which i agree :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:.

I am not saying this is legal but how he explained it!!!!

He's correct about the hotel room but I personally think that he's wrong about being able to lawfully carry through the lobby of a posted hotel. It would be lawful to have it unloaded and stowed in luggage to transport to the room, but I just don't see how it's lawful to carry through the lobby in that case.

• Like 1

He's correct about the hotel room but I personally think that he's wrong about being able to lawfully carry through the lobby of a posted hotel. It would be lawful to have it unloaded and stowed in luggage to transport to the room, but I just don't see how it's lawful to carry through the lobby in that case.

I think you be spot on.....

what is the difference between  being loaded and concealed or unloaded and stowed in luggage,,,,,,the signs usually say something along the lines as Weapons or firearms are prohibited.....the signs don't say .....ok if in luggage or unloaded.....

what is the difference between  being loaded and concealed or unloaded and stowed in luggage,,,,,,the signs usually say something along the lines as Weapons or firearms are prohibited.....the signs don't say .....ok if in luggage or unloaded.....

The difference is called transportation mode and is a federal guideline... Unloaded gun locked in a case...

Here is a snip that is from IL State Police as an example....

From the IL State Police: Can I keep a firearm in my hotel room when I travel?

Yes, assuming no local ordinance applies. The critical question is how the firearm was carried into the room and transported in a vehicle. Those actions must be done lawfully.

Edited by teecro

Just a quick update. I just got to the hotel and entered in the Magnolia entrance. I did some quick scoping out of the doors and windows and couldn't find any signs. Does your law require all entrances to be posted or only one? Edited by 00Dan

TCA 39-17-1359 says the postings must be "in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited"

Here's an update. I was there last night. No signs on the doors for the hotel at the Delta Portico entrance. No signs on the doors of the Opry Events Center (where ICE was held).

HOWEVER, there is a large sign on the brick flood wall facing the Opry Mills parking lot in the flood wall gap where the sidewalk connects that area to the Opry Events Center and the Delta entrance of the hotel. It's big and has all the language needed under 3917-1359 including citing TCA 39-17-1359. Their big sign there is compliant, but the overall posting on the property is not as it would be perfectly normal for someone to be driven to the Delta portico and dropped off and have access to both the Opry Events Center and the Hotel, neither of which is posted and that person would have never passed the sign on the flood wall. I've never seen a sign on that back road that connects McGavock Pike to Opry Mills, which would be the way to go to access the Delta Portico.

Edited by monkeylizard

Does anyone happen to have any updates on this old thread? I have family in town and they want to see the lights at the hotel then eat at shopry mills. I can’t seem to find anything definitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the theater, nothing in Opry Mills is posted that I know of. I'm there often and have never seen a sign except the usual "rules and conduct" signs that every mall has. Definitely not statutorily compliant except at the theater.

I haven't been to the hotel in a while, but AFAIK, my last entry above is still correct.

Thanks! We went last night (with a million other people). Didn’t see anything at Opry Mills nor the Hotel. We walked over from the parking lot and walked in a smaller entrance at the Delta. Nothing on the doors.

The sign is still there on the brick wall where you crossed from the parking lot to the hotel property. Guess you didn't see. it. Oh well.  ;)

Ha yes. Schlepping 4 small kids in the cold might have hindered my ability to spot it as well.

I have been many times and never have I seen a gun buster.   The last time I went, there was a group of about 5 young black males, in their 20s  one guy was open carrying in the food court.  He saw me eyeing his glock,  I nodded, he nodded, life moved on  

When i go to cool springs, I enter in an anchor store which do not have gun buster signs. I have yet to hear of any issues at any mall.