Wolf sighting

Ugly

I am 99% sure I just saw a wolf on my property. I am skeptical but know what I saw. There are a lot of woods around me but I am not nearly as secluded as I would expect would be needed for a wolf to inhabit the woods.

I'm in east TN near Dandridge, I can see the smokies and bear have wandered over here. They are loaded with deer turkey and some bobcat.

My question, has anyone else seen one in these parts?

I have no firsthand knowledge of this, but read an interesting article a short time ago about a hybrid "coywolf" that is spreading across the Eastern US. I don't know of any sightings this far south, but the eventuality exists.

Could be BS, could be real...probably be argued...but stranger things have happened.

https://www.rt.com/usa/320214-coywolf-dog-coyote-wolf-hybrid/

I've read about the cross breeding too and have read about the introduction into the Smokies.

This guy was big though, bigger than any German Shepard I've ever seen and his tail was very bushy.

Coincidently I moved the game camera yesterday and left some food in front of it. Hopefully he makes his way up there and I can get a pic.

Otherwise I'm pretty stoked! I've never seen a wolf in the wild before.
  • Like 1

Well, there are wolves in the Smokies.  That's a guaranteed fact as they re-introduced them years ago.

The smaller red wolves, and supposedly, none survived. That was the problem, they couldn't get them to establish. Story from way back in 98 when they were ending the program:

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/dec/13/news/mn-53449

And looks like the last known wild red wolf population period is gonna be removed form North Carolina too:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150318-red-wolves-north-carolina-conservation-reintroduction-science/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

[quote name="runco" post="1331645" timestamp="1449328589"]
Found this, what did you see?

coyota_zpsi5pgymee.jpg[/quote

Definitely #2. I've seen yotes this guy was much bigger! He looked like a grey wolf and not red.

Is the 4x5" the size of the track?

Just got back looking for tracks, none to be found with my bad eyes and leaf cover. Most of the soil is rocky and he went up a trail I blazed up and down yesterday on the 4 wheeler.

I'll go check the camera in a few hours.

Edit: the eyes are only bad up close, I've got magnifiers for that.

Edited by Ugly
Coyotes get bigger than most think, I saw one 3 years ago while deer hunting that was taller and longer than my 95lb lab who was a big'en.

Wolves roam though, coyotes are known to travel as much as 100 miles... could be. There's definitely a surge in populations over the past few years.

The smaller red wolves, and supposedly, none survived. That was the problem, they couldn't get them to establish. Story from way back in 98 when they were ending the program:

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/dec/13/news/mn-53449

And looks like the last known wild red wolf population period is gonna be removed form North Carolina too:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150318-red-wolves-north-carolina-conservation-reintroduction-science/

- OS

I wonder why Coyotes are able to thrive while wolves cannot? I have a friend  in Roane County( just outside Lenoir city) that kills coyotes on a regular basis. I mean all the time.

I wonder why Coyotes are able to thrive while wolves cannot? I have a friend  in Roane County( just outside Lenoir city) that kills coyotes on a regular basis. I mean all the time.

Well, we're talking red wolves here, and maybe they are more picky or something , I dunno. ;)  Article said basically they just couldn't find enough to eat where they wanted them to stay, so of course they go where people are to raid, just like yotes. They had a more limited range than their bigger bros even before we got here, but could go everywhere, not just in the mountains.

The ones in North Carolina have only been making it by also hunting on private land too, so they obviously can't make it either with the limited protected area where they hoped to keep them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That looks like my neighbors dog...........my neighbors dog tail is not as fluffy, but his cat is large and black, maybe a panter ;)

Could be a Dogman bigfoot!

OP if you get pics I, like everyone else, would love to see them!

• Like 2

It would be pretty big news if you could document a red one.

Red-Wolf.jpg

Not impossible though, I was surprised we have Mountain Lions now.

I have a strange critter I saw twice on my property, it runs away every time I drive up the driveway. What i'm thinking it is, is someones big fat exotic gray housecat with a bobbed tail, almost looks like a short hair groundhog that runs slow but high up instead of waddling like they do, it almost has a hop in it's run. Like to get a better look at it.

Edited by K191145