What's the rationale for a truck/car long gun?

jgradyc

I've seen several comments on this and other gun forums about carrying a long gun in the truck or car. I've thought about it, but I can't envision a scenario where I might need it. 

• If I can get to my car, I'm leaving whatever is the threat. For example, if I were in that party at San Bernardino and got to my car, I'm not getting a weapon and going back in. 
  • If I am in my car, I can't get to the long gun without getting out of the car. (Not quite true for some cars, but definitely not easy to get to.)

So what are scenarios where I might need to carry a long gun?

• Like 2
For me a lot of it is wildlife. Coyotes harrassing live stock are a major problem as are hogs destroying crops and pasture. Either one of those is good call for a long gun. Also if there is an active shooter in the area or engaging me, my goal is gonna be to use my pistol as a weapon to get me to my truck and my rifle. If I can drive away safely I will, but it's possible you may get to the car and risk being shot trying to drive away.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 2

This topic was recently discussed, and one that I remember.  If you come home to a situation, I would rather hold someone at bay until the law arrives with a long rifle than a handgun.  Plus, the best is what thhawk said:  I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Consider this from a different unrelated perspective:  Would you rather carry around a fire extinguisher, or a blanket to smother flames in your vehicle?  I carry both.  You never know if you might come upon a recent car wreck where there is a fire, and the hurt is need of help. 

• Like 1

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

This.

If I need it, then things are really bad and therefore I need it.

I have no illusions nor delusions of rushing into a situation just to be mistaken for an "Active Shooter" or "Terrorist" and being shot down by the good guys. But there are obvious situations where it could come into play and I want that option to be available to me.

Many situations are over and done long before an individual could make it out to their vehicle to retrieve their long gun...

but one certainly would have been handy for a trained good guy in the same parking lot as our recent Chattanooga terrorist attack.

And unfortunately these potentialities will more than likely increase in the coming months and years.

Options can be a good thing.

You haven't been paying attention here. It's because of those Mooslim terrorists that are so abundant here in Tennessee... :ugh:     ;)

I think it's far more likely that the long gun would be stolen from a vehicle than a scenario where I might need one. Hell, even if I did need one I find it unlikely that I'd have time to get it out of my trunk.

I'll continue carry my Glock 19 in my car and hope I don't need it. For those of you carrying an AR with a 1,000 rounds, more power to you! I hope I won't be asking you for help someday if I run dry with my Glock.   ​

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 3

The first rule of gun fighting is "Have a gun".  The second rule is "Have the best weapon possible".

There are very few situations where I would prefer to have a handgun versus a long gun.  Even a .40 Short&Weak from a High Point carbine is preferable to the same round from a Sig Sauer P229.  I'll take the added 200fps, longer sight radius, and steadier grip any time!!!

• Like 1
A workplace shooting. I’m seconds from my vehicle at work. The chances of me being able to get out might be slim, but if I could I would reenter and engage a shooter.

A shooting in traffic. I would like to have a weapon that I could take out a shooter at a greater distance.

The roadway shooting of the Officers in West Memphis comes to mind. If I drove into something like that I would like to be able to do something other than face an AK with a handgun.

I fully understand I could be mistaken for a bad guy, but that’s a situation I would have to deal with.

I don’t have one in the car right now because I don’t have a good way to secure it.

If I can get to my car, I'm leaving whatever is the threat. For example, if I were in that party at San Bernardino and got to my car, I'm not getting a weapon and going back in.

I am the opposite. If I were involved in an active shooter/mass shooting situation I would try my damndest to get to my vehicle and get my rifle. If I were away from danger and people were still being killed and I could engage the threat from 30+ yards now with my rifle, you better believe I will. My pistol is just a tool to fight with UNTIL I can get to my rifle. So you're saying if you were safely out of the line of fire and could take a shot at the bastard from a safe distance (maybe even with cover) you wouldn't? I couldn't live with myself. That's just me. Edited by glowdotGlock
  • Like 3

Unless I think there is a SHTF situation coming I doubt I will carry a long arm in my vehicle, just because there is no really good way to secure it.  As for using it in a shootout on a road where, unless you are stopped on the side of the road, how are you going to deploy it effectively?

Unless I think there is a SHTF situation coming I doubt I will carry a long arm in my vehicle, just because there is no really good way to secure it.  As for using it in a shootout on a road where, unless you are stopped on the side of the road, how are you going to deploy it effectively?

Get out, pop the trunk; use the vehicle for cover and a shooting platform.
I’ve thought about ways to secure a rifle, but haven’t done it yet.

The reason i carry a rifle in my truck is because of what i have in my house. If i come home to someone in my home it is a safe assumption they have killed my dogs and have guns, perhaps even my guns. And without a long gun I am at a disadvantage.

I thought about that also. I come home and find my door standing open, I’m calling 911, but if armed burglars try to make an exit I want the advantage of cover (my garage) and a long gun.

I don't carry all the time, and refuse to live my life in fear of needing a gun all the time. But when its a simple option; why not?

Get out, pop the trunk; use the vehicle for cover and a shooting platform.
I’ve thought about ways to secure a rifle, but haven’t done it yet.

I thought about that also. I come home and find my door standing open, I’m calling 911, but if armed burglars try to make an exit I want the advantage of cover (my garage) and a long gun.

I don't carry all the time, and refuse to live my life in fear of needing a gun all the time. But when its a simple option; why not?

Security is what gets me. I drive a SUV, so once someone is in, they got what I got. All it takes is one time with the door left unlocked, even for a minute and your rifle is gone. Can't see me jeopardizing one of my good rifles that way. So I'd want something cheap that if it got stolen, I would spaz over it too much.

Several years ago, an SKS would have been a good go to rifle for such a situation, but those aren't cheap anymore. Maybe a Hi-point carbine might be the answer or a pump action shotgun.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped

Security is what gets me. I drive a SUV, so once someone is in, they got what I got. All it takes is one time with the door left unlocked, even for a minute and your rifle is gone. Can't see me jeopardizing one of my good rifles that way. So I'd want something cheap that if it got stolen, I would spaz over it too much.

Several years ago, an SKS would have been a good go to rifle for such a situation, but those aren't cheap anymore. Maybe a Hi-point carbine might be the answer or a pump action shotgun.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

There is no rifle or handgun that I would not be pissed if it went missing so there is that.  But my thing is this; my, or someone else's, life may depend on that piece of equipment, so do I really want something cheap that I can afford to lose or something of decent quality?

• Like 1

There is no rifle or handgun that I would not be pissed if it went missing so there is that. But my thing is this; my, or someone else's, life may depend on that piece of equipment, so do I really want something cheap that I can afford to lose or something of decent quality?

Amen.

Same thing can be said of your carry gun. Do you carry something high quality or something you won't mind being in an evidence locker for the rest of eternity after a shoot?

My life is worth more than worrying about a gun being stolen.

WHY?  Well for me, my pistol serves one purpose, get me back to the truck alive.  If I get there fast enough, tire smoke and redline.  If not, a rifle beats a pistol in pretty much any fight.  You can argue about anything but NO pistol is as accurate or as much a fight stopper as a rifle of equal quality.  People bark about over penetration and collateral damage but I don't really see that being as much a negative as accurately placed shots are a positive.  If I am being pursued as I flee then I know life can't get much worse, may as well make a LOT of noise because I ain't no fighter.  I'm just too young to die and too old to quietly take an azz whoopin'.

• Like 1

There is no rifle or handgun that I would not be pissed if it went missing so there is that.  But my thing is this; my, or someone else's, life may depend on that piece of equipment, so do I really want something cheap that I can afford to lose or something of decent quality?

Meh, I split the diff, keep a basic 10.5" AR pistol behind the seat..  It's bout as accurate as a rifle up to 100 yards, and with ~ 2700 fps soft points in there should be plenty effective. Plus I get 20-30 quick tries. :)

Only got about five bills in it, but it's plenty reliable ... sure, would hurt to lose it, but the comfort it gives me being there is worth the risk.

ARpistol-2nd.jpg

And should circumstances ever require it, can even tote it around on my person:

ARpistolcase2.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 8

I’m not concerned with someone breaking into my vehicle, and feel absolutely no responsibility for someone committing the criminal act of doing so. Having said that though I do feel a responsibility to not be reckless. I have left work a couple of times and my trunk warning light has been on. My keyless entry has too much range. That is where I would store it. I know I could disable it; but that would reduce access time. I wish there was a way to limit it to within a few feet of the vehicle.

My weapon of choice would be a scoped 308 AR. If it was stolen; so be it, but the chance of that would be pretty slim, unless of course my trunk popped open. I would guess my insurance would pay for it; but who knows.