It may be time to move on. (dog thread)

Caster

The wife has been on my case pretty hard these last few days.  Time for a new outside dog.  I swore to the world, NO.  My bestest buddy in the whole world passed on a few months ago and it's been a real bitch getting past it.  As is most everything in my life, the woman is probably right.  Not sure I want to really take on the task until spring though.  For a dedicated outside dog, its hard to start the process with winter coming on.  Spring would mean longer days and warn nights to get acclimated to the job.  I'd also rather NOT have to keep a puppy/youngling in the shop next to the wood stove at night [by itself] until it knows what to expect around here.  

ANYWAY, as always, I hold ya'll's options in high regard 'round here....well, most of ya'll.  I'm thinking I DON'T want another pitt.  Loyal and fierce, but not a good social critter.  Even though most really ARE the stigma is exhausting.  The wife wants me to get either a Shepherd or a Malinois.  She's even offered to pony up for a trained dog from a breeder but gotdang!!!  Four figures for a dog when SO many need good homes.  I dunno, which is why I ask.  

Okay, your turn!

Can't help out much with choice. I'm a mutt guy.

Well...we won't hold that against you, buddy. lol

Seriously though, I agree. All our doggie children have been rescues of one form or another. It just breaks my heart to see a mistreated animal of any kind.

Yes, I'm one of those people. I have liked most every dog we've been blessed with than almost all of humanity.

There are a few two-legged exceptions, but they get more rare every day.

• Like 2
I truly believe a rescued dog knows you rescued it. That said, my full akc dogs from breeders have been great dogs as well. I believe dogs are a product of their environment. They emulate their owners, basically like kids.

I would say go to a shelter. The dog will pick you. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 5

We were looking for a dog a few years back.  A coworker had a family member who was having to downsize from a house to an apartment.  She had a rotty.   I have had many dogs but never a rotty,  Well ,we went to just look at the rotty (I didn't think that one through,, when you take your wife and two young kids to look at a dog you are coming home with said dog)   One of the best dogs we ever had.   He was a teddy bear...to a point....he loved people loved to meet new people but he was very protective over us and loved the kids. When he barked or growled it got your attention and when he did the wife and I knew something was usually not right.   We had to have him put down due to health reasons in 2012 we are still not past it. 

I have met a lot of Rotty people, most have a pack of them. I always thought they were weird people   I never understood it until we got ours.

• Like 3

I live on a dead end road that is on Douglas lake.  You would not believe how many dogs are dropped off here .  About 5 years ago the sweetest lab pup came on my property and made her way under my deck.  She soon found her way into my heart and needless to say she's been my buddy ever since.  I being 80 have had many dogs in my life never a lab and it's scary how attached to her I am.  I could go on and tell stories of how we get along like so many dog lovers do. If I could litter train dogs like ya can train cats I'd have a 100. 

Edited by Ron_TN
  • Like 2

Grieving about previous pets is a rough road to travel and everyone travels this road at different speeds.  We got a boxer pup (Gracie) when we lived in FL, and she was that 1 in a million from my point of view.  Excellent dog, boxers are family oriented, very protective of the family unit but very social dogs as well, fairly easy to train/housebreak as well.  Love to play with children but very protective of them as well.  I had to put Gracie down after 9 yrs of life with her in '05, and I was not ready for another dog 2 yrs later.  Wife got me a 2nd boxer pup (Roxie) late '07 for anniversary gift without my knowledge or asking me if I wanted another dog.  I had some initial reservations about Roxie as I compared her to Gracie, but Roxie is that 2nd in a million dog.  Different personalities to some extent, but the same basic demeanor as well.  I love their facial expressions, they can wrinkle their forehead just like humans can.  there are lots of boxer rescue groups so the cost can be quite a bit less that route.  GL in your travels.  

• Like 1

Grieving about previous pets is a rough road to travel and everyone travels this road at different speeds.  We got a boxer pup (Gracie) when we lived in FL, and she was that 1 in a million from my point of view.  Excellent dog, boxers are family oriented, very protective of the family unit but very social dogs as well, fairly easy to train/housebreak as well.  Love to play with children but very protective of them as well.  I had to put Gracie down after 9 yrs of life with her in '05, and I was not ready for another dog 2 yrs later.  Wife got me a 2nd boxer pup (Roxie) late '07 for anniversary gift without my knowledge or asking me if I wanted another dog.  I had some initial reservations about Roxie as I compared her to Gracie, but Roxie is that 2nd in a million dog.  Different personalities to some extent, but the same basic demeanor as well.  I love their facial expressions, they can wrinkle their forehead just like humans can.  there are lots of boxer rescue groups so the cost can be quite a bit less that route.  GL in your travels.  

I couldn't agree more. When you are ready check out middle tn boxer rescue. 

Always rescue. Plenty of pure bred dogs to be found at the pound and you're not supporting an unnecessary part of the pet industry by buying from breeders or pet stores.

A lot of pet stores have gone to exclusively offering pets from local shelters and rescue organizations. I know the PetCo near me has an adoption day every Saturday. I have to stay away from that area on Saturdays as I already have 3 dogs and 2 cats.

• Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor

Time does heal most wounds. My wife and I lost our border collie in 2012 after 15 years of being a part of the family. We swore never again. Now we have two border collies.....raised from pups from the border collie rescue. They make us laugh ever day....no really.

• Like 1

A lot of pet stores have gone to exclusively offering pets from local shelters and rescue organizations. I know the PetCo near me has an adoption day every Saturday. I have to stay away from that area on Saturdays as I already have 3 dogs and 2 cats.

I believe you are speaking of the Petco out in Bellevue.  If so, I wanted to add a clarification.   The rescue group that sets up on Saturdays in front of the store is called Proberbs 12:10.  We foster dogs for them from time to time and they are a good group IMO.   Three of my four are through them.  

While Petco does allow them to set up on their property on adoption day, Proverbs is a total separate group.    It's a win win combination since since Proverbs gets the foot traffic and location while Petco gets to sell pet supplies to the new adopters.   Petco also recently make a large donation to Proverbs.  :)

http://www.proverbs1210rescue.org/

• Like 1

I believe you are speaking of the Petco out in Bellevue. If so, I wanted to add a clarification. The rescue group that sets up on Saturdays in front of the store is called Proberbs 12:10. We foster dogs for them from time to time and they are a good group IMO. Three of my four are through them.

While Petco does allow them to set up on their property on adoption day, Proverbs is a total separate group. It's a win win combination since since Proverbs gets the foot traffic and location while Petco gets to sell pet supplies to the new adopters. Petco also recently make a large donation to Proverbs. :)

http://www.proverbs1210rescue.org/

Yes, that is them. I knew it was Proverbs, but couldn't remember chapter and verse. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Castor, I'd suggest that when the time is right, you look into a rescue dog.  You can go to Petfinder.com and see pictures and descriptions of thousands of dogs near you. The advantage is that most of these dogs are in foster homes, so the foster parents can tell you whether the dog is good with kids, other dogs, cats, etc.  My avatar is a rescue dog... a wirehaired pointing griffon.  My wife and I have fostered seven dogs and cats. It's so rewarding to find a great home for a homeless dog or cat.

Instead of using petfinder, you can also go directly to the rescue website. There are rescue organizations for almost all breeds of dogs. Just do a search for the breed name and rescue... like border collie rescue, for example. Most likely, you can find a rescue near you for most breeds, or at least in a neighboring state.

I like the sporting breeds.  German short-haired pointers make great pets if you have room for them to run. They need lots of exercise. English Setters are also great pets if you like long haired dogs. But its hard to beat a beagle for a family dog if you need a smaller breed.  I like labs, but they have been over-bred in my opinion. Lots of good choices in the sporting dog breed.

Whatever I get, the prerequisite is that it have enough azz to back up its bark.  That was one thing my Pitt was never lacking.  I really like the Malinois breed, although smaller and leaner than my Pitt was, they make up for it in lighting speed.  

Check this one out @ 3 minutes in, he almost clears a compact sedan.  LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q85DqtZmCE

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

I vote lab.  Big, smart, trainable and a good watch dog and family pet. 

I have a 16 year old Siberian Husky.  She's my baby, but she's in bad shape.  She will probably have to be put down soon so I feel your pain. 

She's been the best dog I could ever imagine in every way.  She's small for her breed.  55 pounds, but I've seen her rip apart a 100 pound male boxer with ease.  He moved towards my children and she was on him like lightning.

I would not have chosen this breed, but she's been amazing in every way.  She's so gentle with our children yet protective, but her service days are past.  She just lays around now.

My next dog is going to be a female brindle boxer.  I've always wanted one.