So I dont think A Red Ryder is going to cut it.

none

I want to get my son a long gun for Christmas.

He has a 10/22 already. He wants to take up small game hunting. So I was thinking about a 410. Some time ago I seem to recall seeing a lever action but really didn't pay that much attention to it now I am wishing I had. Anyone have any ideas? Or other suggestions?

Thanks
I got my son (12) a 20ga. It's semi auto, so the recoil feels less. I typically have him load just one though. Beretta A303

I saw a sweet youth model 28ga at the pawn shop recently. I think it was a browning semi.

My first gun was a Charles Daily O/U youth 20ga when I was 8. I always enjoyed shooting it.

Edit: Rossi makes a 410 lever gun Edited by Wingshooter
I had a 410 when I was younger. A 20ga pump or even better a semi isn't much more recoil than a single shot 410.

A 410 is much harder to hit with even for me now and I'm better than average at hitting stuff on the wing. It has less shot flying and therefore more difficult to hit with. It certainly doesn't do much for your self esteem when you can't hit what you put the bead on. A 410 will frustrate even an experienced shotgunner who is used to throwing a larger payload.

A 20 ga is the best option IMO, I was 10 when I got my 20ga.
  • Like 2

20 GA break-down with a hammer!  I had a 16 GA and my brother got a 20 GA when we were 12 and 11 respectfully.  Both of us used them until we were into our twenties for almost everything!  You can't miss with a good 20 GA for your son---Or daughters which was my gift to my daughter when she was 12!

I love a 410.  I had one as a kid and to be honest, I find them to be one of my favorite now simply for the challenge.  There is nothing like having your first gun forever and being able to use it as an adult and have the memories with it.  You can always get a bigger gun.  My advice would be get a 410 and let him get used to it before going to a 20 gauge.  He can most likely handle a 20 gauge, but if he gets good with a 410, he will be even better with a 20 and 12 later.

I also prefer a semi-auto simply because it reduces felt recoil for a new person.  For me, a Remington 1100 410 Wingmaster would be perfect.  Unfortunately, they are hard to find and expensive now.

I'm a huge fan of the full choked .410 shotgun, either in a single shot of a pump, this calibers amazing on squirrel and rabbits. But with that said for a first youth shotgun I would shop around and find a Remington 870 youth model in 20 GA with some screw in choke tubes.

I love a 410.  I had one as a kid and to be honest, I find them to be one of my favorite now simply for the challenge.  There is nothing like having your first gun forever and being able to use it as an adult and have the memories with it.  You can always get a bigger gun.  My advice would be get a 410 and let him get used to it before going to a 20 gauge.  He can most likely handle a 20 gauge, but if he gets good with a 410, he will be even better with a 20 and 12 later.

I also prefer a semi-auto simply because it reduces felt recoil for a new person.  For me, a Remington 1100 410 Wingmaster would be perfect.  Unfortunately, they are hard to find and expensive now.

Or you can take it to the extreme with one of these Arsenal Saga .410

arsenalsaga410.jpg

Edited by crossfire