Need help finding a new EDC

After about 10 years my benchmade AFO II broke.  Well that's not exactly a true statement....the springs broke and its no longer an auto knife.  But its time for a change.  I'd like to have a fixed blade for every day use but I cant find one that I like.

I want a knife that's around 6"-7" overall with a drop point blade in the 3"  range.  I'd like the handle to be slightly curved, slim, and not made of wood.  The CRKT SPEW would be almost perfect except for the blade.  Cant really seem to find one on the internets so I'm turning to you guys to help me out.  Looking for a good looking working knife that will cut some boxes, clean my fingernails, dress a deer, and if I need it to, help me stab my way out of a jam. 

Leaning towards a ESEE IZULA II but not sure.  Havent been able to find a local dealer to get my hands on one.

Please advise!

2388_xlarge_497.jpg

Edited by whiterx
You might be pleasantly surprised with the blade on the CRKT SPEW, I thought that it was ugly and weird at first but after carrying it for a week or so I liked it so much that I bought a second one. Pretty easy to sharpen with the blade shaped like too. The point is extremely "pointy" like a needle, great for splinter removal.

I have a S.P.E.W. and like it pretty well for what it is.  I noticed you said 'working knife', though, and so I am not sure that would be your best option.  See, the tip on the S.P.E.W. is very pointy - as in needle sharp.  This would undoubtedly make it great if one needed to 'get stabby' but also makes it a little weak for 'work' tasks, IMO.  For example, while I realize a knife isn't a pry bar, I bent the tip on mine simply using it to try and help me get a couple of AA batteries out of a portable radio (I am bad about biting my fingernails so I don't really have any to work with.)  I was able to bend it back into place but quit carrying it as much after that since I carry a knife more as a tool than as a self-defense option (although if pressed I'd do what I had to do.).

If you are looking for a variation of that blade style, CRKT makes a more 'traditional' Wharncliffe/sheepsfoot type kneck knife in their Minimalist line.  I haven't owned one but based on the pics I have seen I would think the tip would be sturdier than that of the S.P.E.W.  I wish that CRKT would offer the Minimalist line of blades with grips like the S.P.E.W. because the finger grooves on the Minimalist line don't fit my hand all that well - which is why I currently don't own any.

http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist-Neck-Knife-Razor-Sharp-Edge

If you decide to consider folding blades, a good option for something less expensive than your Benchmade to use as a working knife -  if you aren't set on a neck knife - might be an Ontario RAT 1.  I have owned one for a few months but haven't carried that one.  You can now find these knives at some Walmart locations (apparently not all locations have them.)  In fact, I bought a second one just yesterday at the Walmart in Sweetwater and it is in my pocket as I type this.  I think I paid $29 and change for it.  I ordered my first one from Amazon.  The actual price from Amazon is a few dollars less, I believe, but unless you add other things to the order you will have to pay shipping so it pretty much evens out - plus I do like having an item in hand at the time of purchase.

The reason I haven't really carried my first Rat 1 is that I have been carrying a Spyderco Resilience that I got in the same Amazon order.  I like that knife a lot and will probably still carry it a lot in rotation with the RAT 1 after I carry the RAT enough to know how much I am really going to like it.  Anyhow, the Resilience is another knife I would recommend you take a look at as a working knife if you decide to opt for a folder, instead although it is larger than some folks want in a folder (although I like the larger size, myself.)

Next, although I this might get me disowned around here, I have decided that I like the Gerber/Bear Grylls paracord knife as a neck knife.  Now, don't start throwing stuff at me just yet.  See, I have tried the S.P.E.W. as well as a Cold Steel Mini-Tac Skinner and a Cold Steel Mini-Tac Beavertail.  I have already mentioned the problem I had with the S.P.E.W.  My problems with the Cold Steel knives are 1. No matter how sharp I get the darned things they seem to get dull just sitting unused in the sheaths (my Beavertail is better about this than my Skinner) and 2. the sheaths for the Mini-Tacs take up so much real estate that I figure I had might as well carry a larger, sturdier knife.

I didn't buy the paracord knife specifically to use for neck carry.  The included, removable belt loop can be set up for different carry styles.  I actually bought it with scout carry in mind and it worked well for that but I decided I like the Buck Pack-Lite large skinner in my home-made kydex sheath better for that.  The paracord knife is fairly thick for its size.  I generally reprofile most knives to have a convex edge.  I did that to the paracord knife and the steel on mine was hard enough to require a lot of work to do so.  Now that I have the edge I want, however, it seems to stay sharp as long as I give it a couple of passes over an old, leather belt after carrying it.  According to Amazon, the overall length of the paracord knife is 7.75 inches so it is just a little longer than the ideal you mentioned in your OP with a blade length of 3.25 inches.  It is what I would call a modified drop-point design.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls-Paracord-Fixed-31-001683/dp/B008FM04OC

I ditched the bright orange paracord on mine, replacing it with a color I like better.  I also did what I could with some sandpaper to try and get rid of the ridiculous, obnoxious 'BG' logo on the sheath (now printed on both sides.)  After that, I don't think the knife looks half bad and I think it is a pretty decent blade, overall - especially for the price.  Mine looks like this, now (except that I have taken the belt loop off of the sheath and it also has paracord through the two end grommets for use as a neck knife) :

IMG_20150731_020627_1.jpg

Speaking of the Pak-Lite line, those might be another inexpensive option for you to consider.  The nylon sheath they come with isn't the best nor is the skeletonized handle.  As I mentioned, though, I didn't care about the sheath because I wanted to make a kydex scout-carry style sheath for it, anyway.  I also did sort of a 'basket-weave' paracord handle wrap on mine - as shown in the picture below.  Unfortunately, where I work I can't carry a fixed blade but have carried both the Pak-Lite and the Gerber paracord knife on several occasions outside of work enough to say that I like them both as small, fixed-blade 'beater' knives for less than the cost of an Izula, etc. (although I am interested in trying out something like an Izula or a Becker Necker, etc. at some point.)

IMG_20141014_231230.jpg

A better view of the 'basketweave' paracord handle I did:

IMG_20140927_102450204_HDR.jpg

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2