I appreciate everyones input on the subject. I'm just over thinking things too much and do not want to scare anyone or cause a scene anywhere. I've pocket carried a Keltec P3AT, then moved to the Sig P238, again in the pocket and never thought much of it. I put the Glock 26 on a belt and it hit me, "This is too noticable". With everyone sharing your experience, I'm simply going to do my thing and not worry about it. Worst case, I'm asked to leave somewhere. If that happens, then they do not deserve my money to begin with.

• Like 3

Carry a Glock 21 as your EDC and you will get over printing a little, you kinda have to. Only one time has anyone said anything to me and he also carried, just wanted to know what I carried so it is noticeable. I'll show you mine if you show me your's, which isn't weird if you are talking about carry guns.  

• Like 1

Did my 5.11 pants with 37 pockets, fishing vest, and GSSF hat give me away?

You say that, but one time was at dinner and this guy walks in wearing 5.11 pants, 5.11 shooters vest, and an NRA ball cap while OCing a full size Glock, two reloads, flashlight and OC spray. No one even noticed him but me.

• Like 2

Although I have been mostly pocket carrying as of late and although my small handguns (KelTec P3AT or S&W 642) are usually pocket carried, reserving belt carry for larger handguns, I do on occasion carry even the little guys on my belt, especially when I will be inside a vehicle and getting in and out a lot because it is extremely comfortable and easier to access the firearm in those situations.  IWB absolutely does not work for me.  The closest I can come to that is carrying in a belly band worn low so that the grips of the gun are in just about the same position as they would be if worn IWB and even that really only works with something small and flat like the P3AT.

When I carry on the belt - which means OWB - I generally wear a tucked in t-shirt to keep the grips from rubbing my side and then wear an untucked, unbuttoned shirt as a cover garment.  I call that 'casually concealed' because there might be some incidental exposure but most people probably won't notice even then.

The point of all that was to cite a specific occurrence as an example of the general public's lack of awareness.  One day about two years or so ago I was at the Sweetwater Valley Cheese Farm, carrying my 642 OWB, and when I was approaching the entrance I realized I had not put my cover garment back on when I got out of the vehicle.  The business isn't posted (wasn't at the time, anyhow - I haven't been in lately) so I knew I was okay to carry open but I usually avoid doing so because I don't want to be the guy who gets the owners/employees thinking about the issue, possibly resulting in them posting as a result.  That said, in this case I decided to just go on in.  The place was pretty crowded as it seemed there was some sort of tour group or something in there.  I sampled some of the cheese that was available for that purpose, walked up and down their cooler counter, selected the cheeses I wanted and ended up having brief conversations about some of the cheeses with a few of the other customers.  I then went up to the counter, paid and left.  Because I do not usually open carry I was watching closely for reactions from others while being very careful not to draw attention to my sidearm by being self-conscious about it.  Not only did no one say anything about me carrying but I can honestly say that I never noticed anyone in the place even glancing at it.  I honestly believe that I open carried in what is basically a small room with twenty or more other customers and a handful of staff and that no one even realized I was carrying a firearm.

Edited by JAB
I work in a big box store and when it gets really slow I try and find the guns. It usually not to hard, but you have to know what to look for. Printing is usually not an issue. The most obvious is pants that are just a little too big but snug around the waste. I work in a rural area so more carriers than you would think. The only one I haven't learned to spot is purse carry. So guy, if you want to truly conceal, carry a purse. :hiding:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I just had lunch at a local restaurant and a white-haired gentleman wearing slacks, a white dress shirt and tie was open carrying in front of me in line.  No one seemed to notice at all.  As I left he was on the phone eating his meal and no one paid any more attention to his cute little baby 1911 (Sig 938 perhaps?) than they might have if it might as well have been a knife or a phone on is side.  Personally, I rarely ever OC and probably wouldn't do it in a business, but the fact that most people don't notice makes me not worry at all abut a little printing now and then.    

• Like 2

Printing is usually not an issue. The most obvious is pants that are just a little too big but snug around the waste. 

I like to play "spot the gun" as well.  Occasionally, I have spotted some interesting things like ankle holsters, shoulder holsters etc... One Sunday a gentleman in front of my Wife and me at Church must have a very well concealed pistol on his right side, but he had some kind of single-stack (probably.45 ACP) magazine on his left side snagged on his sweater.  I pointed it out to my Wife who said she would have never noticed it otherwise.    

• Like 1

I like to play "spot the gun" as well.  Occasionally, I have spotted some interesting things like ankle holsters, shoulder holsters etc... One Sunday a gentleman in front of my Wife and me at Church must have a very well concealed pistol on his right side, but he had some kind of single-stack (probably.45 ACP) magazine on his left side snagged on his sweater.  I pointed it out to my Wife who said she would have never noticed it otherwise.    

In old school pews I've heard the distinct clunk of a pistol knocking against the wood when they've sat down near me.

• Like 1

In old school pews I've heard the distinct clunk of a pistol knocking against the wood when they've sat down near me.

Haa, I had to cut notches from my holster around the mag release on my G21, it's an ambidextrous mag release and a few times I have sat in a chair with arms and pushed the release by accident dumping my mag on the floor. That might kinda be obvious i'm carrying. The notches work, I have been tempted to grind off the right side button a little but afraid I would screw it up, I don't need it or want it though.

My gun usually in a OWB holster covered by a un-tucked shirt. It prints big time in certain situations but most of the time my wife doesn't even notice.

Only time I think I've been "read" is a couple of times by cops and I think that's just because they are trained to look for that sort of thing. They didn't say anything but I did notice them looking at the hump in my shirt.

I've tried most of the IWB holsters and I can't wear them. It's just too uncomfortable for me. I've bought a pile of them that I can't wear for any extended period of time.
  • Like 1

Carry a Glock 21 as your EDC and you will get over printing a little, you kinda have to. Only one time has anyone said anything to me and he also carried, just wanted to know what I carried so it is noticeable. I'll show you mine if you show me your's, which isn't weird if you are talking about carry guns.  

I just CC'd with my 21 the other day. I was wearing my new 5.11 hoodie and since they don't like fat people and their sizes are way smaller than tagged, I printed a bit with it. We only went to the dump to drop cardboard and stuff. But I caught myself not only printing but when bending over to grab something my hoodie would ride up a bit. That was annoying, but where we live, I am pretty sure everyone carries. Legally or not.

The only one I haven't learned to spot is purse carry. So guy, if you want to truly conceal, carry a purse. :hiding:

I hate purse carrying but in certain times/places its ok. I can get to it really easy and what not but I really prefer to have it on my person. You could also work on learning to spot people using the new belly band things. I have a cancan and it hides really well under yoga pants and a tank top.

• Like 1

You say that, but one time was at dinner and this guy walks in wearing 5.11 pants, 5.11 shooters vest, and an NRA ball cap while OCing a full size Glock, two reloads, flashlight and OC spray. No one even noticed him but me.

I've never seen anyone wearing a 5.11 shooters vest who wasn't carrying.  A shooters vest and concealed carry are not compatible.