EOTech supposedly issuing refunds

MrJones79

EOTechs have had problems from the beginning (battery, durability, zero shift).  This is well documented and I have personally seen it with Dept issued EOs.

If you mention this in an EO v AP discussion, some get their fur up.

If an EO works for YOUR needs, march on.

If you want something that might face hard use / harsh conditions and you want your battery to last for a little bit, I'd stick with an AP.

I've said this for years.  

• Like 3
There is a thread on arfcom with a bunch of folks that have sent theirs in for refund. They received an email that says they will be refunded “as soon as possible”. I’m thinking about doing this, but that could mean they are waiting until the court case is settled. It could be a long time.
  • 4 weeks later...

My 512 was delivered to EOTech on 17 December.  Received the following email this morning.

"Your product has been received and reviewed by EOTech and your refund is being processed. You will be updated by e-mail in the near future regarding check processing.

Thank You,

EOTech"

I have two 512s and am still debating on trying to send them back or not. Both are at least 10 years old and seem to be working just fine. Although I do have to turn the brightness all the way up in bright sun light. Honestly, electronic sights is one area where my knowledge is certainly lacking and I really don't use them all that often. Not to mention that my son, an Iraq veteran, likes the EO better than others he's used. 

I think I'll just wait and see how long it takes for customers to actually receive their refunds before making a final decision.

I think I'll just wait and see how long it takes for customers to actually receive their refunds before making a final decision.

I'm in that same boat.  I've heard of a bunch of people sending them back, but no one actually receiving any money.  

I'd rather have a sight that may fail than no sight and no $$$.  

I'm in that same boat.  I've heard of a bunch of people sending them back, but no one actually receiving any money.  

I'd rather have a sight that may fail than no sight and no $$$.  

I agree with you on that. Even though I only have one Eotech, I find it to be a very good product and am very happy with it.

I was gifted a Model 551 a while back and just got around to mounting it on a rifle. While the controls don't thrill me, it functions well and that's all I need,

Yes, it's a 10 year old model, but looks and functions like new.

Two things from that Video...

1.  122 degrees = extreme temps.  In the middle of a hot TN summer, think about the rifle that's stowed in the trunk or vehicle (patrol car or otherwise).  122 is not that extreme and EO guy acknowledged that shift could occur at even lower temps.

2.  Towards the end of the video, when asked about current design changes / fixes, the EO guy's answer seemed to be, ahh, vague.

Edited by TN-popo

Two things from that Video...

1.  122 degrees = extreme temps.  In the middle of a hot TN summer, think about the rifle that's stowed in the trunk or vehicle (patrol car or otherwise).  122 is not that extreme and EO guy acknowledged that shift could occur at even lower temps.

2.  Towards the end of the video, when asked about current design changes / fixes, the EO guy's answer seemed to be, ahh, vague.

It won't be an abrupt shift. EVERYTHING will drift with temperature. Materials expand and contract with temperature. Electronic circuits drift. AMMO can even drift when you swing the temp that much. But it's most likely going to be a smooth curve. In other words, the greater the temperature shift, the greater the drift. You should be able to see the drift on your cowitnessed irons. Not sure I could do better than 5 MOA at 100 yards with my old eyes and an Eotech. I could do much better at 50, where 5 MOA is only 2 1/2 inches. 

Everybody has different expectations from their gear. I usually don't ####can something until it performs worse than my expectations. I don't expect much out of a red dot. I WILL keep an eye on my Eotechs going forward by comparing their POI to my irons. With that said, I don't see it being a big enough real world problem to kick them off my guns. Now... if I was using magnifiers, it would be a whole other deal. 

EDIT: It's also unlikely that my life will ever depend on my guns, especially on a daily basis. If it did, I may come to a different conclusion.

Edited by mikegideon

122 degrees is easy to hit in the sight body on any sunny summer day on the range.  

And anyone who's deployed knows black equipment can easily pass 122 deg.  way past.   

I have noticed a shift in mine in the heat, when checking co witness.  assumed I was messed up by the heat, not the sight.  

I  love my EO's, damn fast sights.  I'd like to see what improvements are made to the "replacements" mentioned in the video...

and i'm anxious to hear when and if any checks actually arrive and how long it took.  

(anyone know if there are timelines on the refund/exchange deal?)

The temperature sensitivity could be a fundamental design flaw that can't be fixed. As long as you know it's there, you can reference to your irons and just hold the difference without losing speed. It's my favorite sight.Iif it wasn't, I would just use Aimpoints. 

So the rep said the change occurs when going from ambient temperature to 40 below or from ambient temperature to 122 degrees.
Knowing I won't be out hunting penguins in the Arctic Circle anytime soon or I won't be laying around in the desert in 122° heat I think I'll just keep my sighte and avoid all the BS it's worked fine [emoji879] Edited by Dustbuster
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name="quickbiscuit" post="1356746" timestamp="1455214732"]

You're the first I've heard of getting a refund. Did you provide a receipt or just use MSRP as purchase price? Was shipping refunded as well?[/quote

They refunded the amount I asked for and paid shipping. No receipt was asked for even though I had it.
  • Like 1