Gun store misinformation

FortKnox

I had one tell me to my face just last week that if I wanted a really good self defense pistol the judge is the only way to go. Told me a .410 buckshot load at hallway distances is enough to physically knock a man off his feet from the force of the impact. I was asking about .357 revolvers for my wife, and he said ".357 is ok but even birdshot out of a judge is more powerful than a .357"..... Needless to say we went elsewhere to look.

Sent from behind the anvil

Wooo Hollywood ballistics!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I had one tell me to my face just last week that if I wanted a really good self defense pistol the judge is the only way to go. Told me a .410 buckshot load at hallway distances is enough to physically knock a man off his feet from the force of the impact. I was asking about .357 revolvers for my wife, and he said ".357 is ok but even birdshot out of a judge is more powerful than a .357"..... Needless to say we went elsewhere to look.

You should've gotten the name of his drug dealer. Apparently that dude has got some REALLY GOOD stuff...

Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.
Granted, it's been a couple years since I've been in there, but I've always had a good experience at TN Gun Country. Someone gave me a gift certificate from there shortly after they opened shop in that tiny strip mall years back, and I had a pleasant experience, so I kept going back there.

Their prices weren't all that great on gun inventory, but close enough when factoring in shipping costs on Internet sales, and I prefer to patronize locally if I can. I've purchased two firearms from them. Yeah, chances are you're going to know more than the guy at the counter if you're a gun guy. I am, and I'm sure I know more than most the staff. With that, keep in mind that they can't pay employees a whole lot of money to work there, so you aren't going to have a sooper dooper gun genius behind the counter every time. If someone wanted to pay me lots of money to work behind a counter at a gun store, I'd do it and strive to be more knowledgable than anyone I encountered. Good luck finding a generous supply of people like that at $7.00 an hour.

Like another poster mentioned, let the owner know if he has employees screwing up. TGC didn't seem like the kind of place where the owner/management treat their customers poorly. I'm sure your input would be appreciated.

Like I said, it's been a few years since I've been in there, but I can't believe it's gotten so bad that it ranks up with other idiot gun stores in the area. At least I hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

Told me a .410 buckshot load at hallway distances is enough to physically knock a man off his feet from the force of the impact. 

Is this statement true or false? That would be about...  let's see... 20 grams of lead moving at 850 fps. 

I'm not saying the comparison to 357 is valid. I'd just like to find out more about the above statement.

Has someone started making something chambered in .38 S&W again?

Someone ask for a gun chambered in .38 S&W?

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/073FA17C-F771-47DD-9425-6D1C8ADCD5ED_zpsx6paqf5z.jpg.html]073FA17C-F771-47DD-9425-6D1C8ADCD5ED_zps[/URL]

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/C1CA379A-8AFB-4858-A22E-9B802BC49BFC_zpstbvw6oxn.jpg.html]C1CA379A-8AFB-4858-A22E-9B802BC49BFC_zps[/URL]

• Like 1

Is this statement true or false? That would be about...  let's see... 20 grams of lead moving at 850 fps. 

I'm not saying the comparison to 357 is valid. I'd just like to find out more about the above statement.

Someone else can check the math on this and see if I'm right. 

20 grams of lead = 306.25 grains or about 7/10 of an ounce.

using Ballisics 101 calculator

306.25 grains moving at 850 ft/sec. = 491 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle

The question then becomes how much mass you are trying to knock down and are they F'd up on Crack?

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 12/9/2015 at 4:12 PM, whitewolf001 said:

.327 FED MAG, .32H&R Mag, .32S&W Long, .32S&W

edit: Runner up ribbon for me I guess? :D

Citation from wikipedia:

" With its strengthened case and increased pressure ceiling, the .327 Federal reaches the velocity levels of the .357 Magnum, if not the same power. Since the .327 still shares all case dimensions, excluding length, with the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum, revolvers chambered for the .327 Federal can also safely chamber and fire these shorter cartridges, as well as the .32 ACP. This makes the .327 Federal unique, as it can fire five different cartridges from the same gun with no modifications. "

Seems to me that if it doesn't murder the wallet, a Single-7 or a LCR .327will be in my future.

No semiauto offerings in this caliber? I'm still digging, may have missed.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

On 12/9/2015 at 7:59 PM, Spots said:

I overheard a guy at Academy Sports tell a woman a barrel marked .38S&W couldn't shoot .38 +P because the bore wasn't large enough :stare:

Did he seem to be a commission salesman? Or a Judge/Governor fanboy?

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

3 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Citation from wikipedia:

" With its strengthened case and increased pressure ceiling, the .327 Federal reaches the velocity levels of the .357 Magnum, if not the same power. Since the .327 still shares all case dimensions, excluding length, with the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum, revolvers chambered for the .327 Federal can also safely chamber and fire these shorter cartridges, as well as the .32 ACP. This makes the .327 Federal unique, as it can fire five different cartridges from the same gun with no modifications. "

Seems to me that if it doesn't murder the wallet, a Single-7 or a LCR .327will be in my future.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

As a general rule of thumb, rimmed revolver cartridges don’t work well, if at all in semi auto platforms. Even for the few that do work, they aren’t multi cal like a revolver. Exceptions that come to mind are, Desert Eagle, Coonan, Ruger Deerfield. Deerfield uses a rotary magazine the others are single stack and somehow avoid rimlock. The Coonan is .357mag only no 38s for example.

7 hours ago, nightrunner said:

As a general rule of thumb, rimmed revolver cartridges don’t work well, if at all in semi auto platforms. Even for the few that do work, they aren’t multi cal like a revolver. Exceptions that come to mind are, Desert Eagle, Coonan, Ruger Deerfield. Deerfield uses a rotary magazine the others are single stack and somehow avoid rimlock. The Coonan is .357mag only no 38s for example.

Has thought been given to a rimless .327 for use in semis?

• Moderators
Citation from wikipedia:

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1