Fully Left Handed Pistol

Sidecarist

I'm looking for a fully left handed/ambi 9mm pistol. I'm right handed, and my wife is left handed. Grip size is important as my wife has small hands. I really want something easy for her to use. Currently we have an M&P shield. It works ok but she has difficulty with the slide stop in particular.

I know the FNS pistols are fully ambi, any other options I have missed??

Thanks!

Bob

I'm looking for a fully left handed/ambi 9mm pistol. I'm right handed, and my wife is left handed. Grip size is important as my wife has small hands. I really want something easy for her to use. Currently we have an M&P shield. It works ok but she has difficulty with the slide stop in particular.

I know the FNS pistols are fully ambi, any other options I have missed??

Thanks!

Bob

Just out of curiosity but have you taught your wife how to slingshot the slide bypassing the slide stop? Most issues with southpaws shooting a pistol are simply resolved through training. I've seen and handled an FNS and P30 and liked them. FWIW I had to routinely do part of qualification courses using my weak hand, doing magazine changes and malfunction drills so I understand a bit about shooting left handed.

Care to explain why you need a left handed slide stop? Do you use is as a slide release? I'm guilty of it sometimes myself, although I know I should be using the slingshot method instead.

Care to explain why? biggrin.gif (Just kidding)
The best shooters in the world (which I am not one) have differing opinions on this. I never use the slingshot method unless I’m clearing a problem. I never want my hand on the slide as it’s trying to go into battery.

Dave,

I'm left handed.  The S&W M&P 9 has met my needs better than anything.  It has a slide release on each side. The mag release isn't ambi, but can be reversed in a minute or so.  The full size comes with three grips in differing sizes to accomodate hand size.  As referenced below, I have a Shield as well.  The M&P 9 is far easier for a left handed person than the Shield.  There is a big difference in ease of use and accurate shooting between the Shield and the full size M&P.

It is much easier to shoot the full size accurately than the Shield - a problem I would expect to exacerbate in a high stress gun fight.

Talon grips may help her hold the gun better regardless of size.

I also have a Shield.  The mag release can't be reversed on that one.

The Shield has been somewhat difficult for me, including the slide release.  I have trained with it and can use it, though it makes good sense to me that a woman, who I hope, isn't as strong as me would have trouble with it.  The slide stop on the Shield is much harder to deal with if there isn't a magazine in the gun.  

I purchase the S&W M&P's with no safety so I don't have to worry about that.

The H&K VP9 is a fully ambi gun.  Having said that I strongly recommend against this gun for a left handed person. The slide release used by the left handed person runs much of the length of the gun.  I found that a proper grip on the gun interfered with the release with the impact being that the release didn't lock open after the last shot.

I do not agree with those that feel that a leftie can be trained to use a non ambi gun well.  Yes, they can be trained to do it, though my personal experience has shown that I'm much better off with a gun that doesn't require that.

I don't have experience with the FN guns and can't comment on them.

The best idea may be to go to the range and let her try both of them.  I see that you all are in East TN.  If you were in Nashville I would be glad to meet at the range, show what I do, and let her try mine.

Thanks to all for your advice.

I haven't handled the VP9,didn't realize the M&P 9 has ambi slide release. We're going to have to get to a range that rents and get a feel for them.

The reason we want the ambi slide release isn't for reloads, she does the slingshot method just fine for releasing it, it's more about locking it open without a mag. As a woman with less strength and being left handed it's awkward at best and sometimes she wants to keep the mags loaded and clear the gun.

Yes training helps but there is much to be said for having the best tool for the job. Right now we both shoot the shield fine, but it does require better technique than a compact or full size.

Just for the fun of it try and lock the slide back left handed on your right hand pistols. It's harder than you might think at first. It made me think about being in a truly weak hand only situation and having to manipulate the gun, clear malfunctions weak hand only etc.

We appreciate all the advice.

Bob

Almost nothing has an ambi mag release.   A good number have ambi safety or no safety or safety not needed (da/sa for example).  Almost none have a LH slide release.

My take on it, as a lefty...

-- I get a LH safety.  But I use light trigger guns that need a safety.  DAO and DA/SA, it does not matter.

-- I ignore the mag catch.  A few heel releases are neutral, and a tiny # have a reversible one, but I can make do on my reloads, ive learned how to make it work.

-- I ignore the slide release.  Rack the slide to release it works on all models.

This keeps my options open, whereas LH guns only are so few in number...

I don't like the gun but my beretta nano is very left hand friendly.

Not a 9mm but my Makarov is very LH friendly as is the 9x18 CZ

/shrug most of my others are RH guns.

I'm a southpaw and would venture to say that some right handed guns work better for me than they do for right handed shooters.  A slide stop that is not positioned too far to the rear is often easier for a lefty to drop with his trigger finger than it is for a right hander to drop with his thumb.  Same with right handed mag releases.  I turn my nose up at many ambi or left handed guns, but I could see where someone with smaller or weaker hands would benefit. 

The FNH FNS9 is the only one that I know of.  I just got one.  Going to try to get to the range tomorrow and shoot it.  It's the most comfortable pistol I have ever handled as well.  Another plus is they sell with three mags instead of the normal two.

I didn't realize the Sigs were ambi too. More to look at!

His and hers guns for sure. I'm pretty well set up with Sigs, Colt 1911, and a few others. What I want is something easier for her to manipulate. I've had years of shooting experience but now the wife is interested it's an excuse to buy something new. I hadn't bought a new pistol in 112 years until I picked up the Shield a few weeks ago.

What's available has changed a lot in 10-12 years! It looks like we have many more options than I thought.

Thanks for the input

Bob

The P30 has an ambi mag release on the trigger guard, ambi slide release, and the swappable grip panels might help with smaller hands.

... and on the P30S model, ambi safety levers.  Also as someone else mentioned the 3 different sizes of grip panels and backstraps allow you to really tailor the gun to your grip.

I'm also a lefty, and have had my P30S V3 for almost a year and LOVE it.

• Like 1

I got my FNH FNS9 out to the range this afternoon.  GREAT PISTOL!!!  After 50 rounds, it may be my favorite in my stable!  And it fully ambidextrous!  The only thing I wish I had was bigger safety levers, but with a little training, those aren't a problem either!