Pending Gun EO Chatter, Update See Post #114

I believe that it was said in the speech that if we can make a spring bottles child proof then we should make guns child proof or words like that...

Until you have blood on your hands and the biometric reader won't pick up a fingerprint, but then it's ok because the victim is too stupid to use one anyways and it would probably be taken from them and used to shoot their children.

I think they are still letting the lawyers tweak the exact wording for it behind the scenes.  The last thing they want is to screw up the implementation, and with as narrowly targeted as this is, it runs that risk.

The biggest thing was for the President to look "bold" on the issue. The lead up, holding that town hall, and on Tuesday, you can expect for him to reiterate it all during the State of the Union, the date everything was backwards planned from.  The effect of this (on all sides, including ours) is much more in the political spin than the actions taken. 

I'm still trying to figure out what he accomplished AT ALL. Well, except for convincing all the libtards that he is doing anything against guns. Best I can tell, the ATF guidance on selling guns is the same that it has always been. I know Gwyneth Paltrow wants to blow him over the whole thing. But, I just ain't feelin' it. What did he really do except bullshit his followers some more?

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out what he accomplished AT ALL. Well, except for convincing all the libtards that he is doing anything against guns. Best I can tell, the ATF guidance on selling guns is the same that it has always been. I know Gwyneth Paltrow wants to blow him over the whole thing. But, I just ain't feelin' it. What did he really do except bull#### his followers some more?

In terms of actual effects on gun topics...pretty much nothing.  It was more of a PR push than anything else.  He's been catching a lot of flak for being so ineffective on guns, so he had to appease the base.  Why our side is so fearful of him, I'll never know.  Hell for all I know, he did it so he can go to the anti-gun crowd and ask them to help fund his future Presidential library.

Look at all the attention he's gotten for anti-gun efforts, both from the liberal and conservative media.  He effectively took control of the entire weeks media cycle, and now he has the State of the Union coming up on Tuesday, so there's another half week for him to push this narrative, and the rest of his final years agenda.  Part of me thinks he wants the Republican candidates on defense, having to play to their base extra hard while hurting them in the general over the issue, and the other part of me thinks this is slight of hand to avoid talking about foreign policy, or hiding something else.

if I was a republican candidate I'd admit the obvious. " Aside from hippa issues the EO thing is a bunch of nothing.  And the hippa issues can be dealt with if I win."

the only people who think Zero did anything, well they are ignorant on gun issues to begin with.

• Like 3

if I was a republican candidate I'd admit the obvious. " Aside from hippa issues the EO thing is a bunch of nothing.  And the hippa issues can be dealt with if I win."

the only people who think Zero did anything, well they are ignorant on gun issues to begin with.

To Mike.357 point, all sides really whipped this thing up pre-announcement and post announcement, but Mike.357 is spot on.

it may lead to several deaths before politicians and early adopters will re-think Smart Gun technology.

Then they'll just say we need to ban guns.

even if the libtards understand... they do not care.

Oh they care.... they don't care what the results are but they care.  And that's why they write "feel good" legislation.  And when it fails, they blame us and write more legislation giving them more control.

The smart gun can easily be made "dumb."  Just remove the electronics and replace with mechanics and it will fire.  Kind of like all the computer crap they put on cars today... remove all that crap and you're still left with an internal combustion engine.  Spark + fuel = it runs.

From the article

"she said she still suffers symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome."

Bad move Kim.... you've admitted to a mental issue.   Under Obama's EO, the FBI will be by soon to take your guns. :hiding:

Sadly her admission in a very public forum is what is needed for other people to understand the potential problem. Most people won't get it and are just cruising through life with blinders on toward anyone else s problems. They want to feel good, feel informed about the gun control issue because they watched this "show" but they really know nothing about what she went through. I don't know what she went through, but am willing to accept what she says happened and how it has effected her.

Hopefully she is safe from persecution because of her PTSD diagnosis because of her public speaking. My wife's thought was that a big part of her recovery and coping with PTSD may be taking control of her own defense, rather than relying on the police to be there at the moment of need. I think she's right. I have seen PTSD in Veterans and it is not a simple thing to cope with, but I think a big part of it is dealing with the feelings of hopelessness or helplessness. If she can control those feelings by being aware and empowered to defend herself and her loved ones, great I'm all for it!

I think that we as gun owners need to find a way to spread the word about this. Here we are "preaching to the converted" what sort of missionary work are we doing to use this story to get non gun owners to think about the subject? This is a perfect example of a woman going through a horrible experience and surviving it with a changed attitude and a new look at the reality of the only one that will always be there to defend yourself is YOU!

Are you or your spouse talking about this at work, at church, anywhere else but here and the range? We should be. I do.

Hopefully she is safe from persecution because of her PTSD diagnosis because of her public speaking.

If medical records become available to the government and the government decides a PTSD diagnosis is a disqualifier; I doubt she would be any safer than anyone else. I also doubt cases will be researched on an individual level unless it’s part of some appeals process.

I say “If” because we don’t know what they are going to do yet; no one is talking. I don’t see the liberal Democrats being anymore excited about their Doctors making their medical records available to the government than we are.

Less than a month before the voting starts in Iowa and New Hampshire, you want candidates to pass up a chance to get publicity and raise funds off of fear mongering?

No, no, no...Obama has ended the Republic as we know it, and only (INSERT CANDIDATE HERE) can beat Hillary and fix things.

Obama gets to look like a hero to his supporters and the GOP candidates get to raise cane over the Executive Action, so all the politicians benefit.  The executive action did not change anything legally as far as normal intrastate private gun sales because Congress must make that change.  It may even benefit people in certain parts of the country as far as NFA items because they will not need permission from their county sheriff anymore, just notification.  If the bulk of the population really believes that Obama stopped private gun sales, then so be it.  The less a lot of people know, the better sometimes.

• Like 1

Very good statement from Steve Urvan, CEO and Founder of GunBroker.com:

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/Announce.aspx#1/8/2016

A statement from Steve Urvan, CEO and Founder of GunBroker.com

As many of you are aware, the President made a big production of “taking action” on gun control this week. What is not as obvious, and has been missed by much of the mainstream media, is that the President’s actions are smoke and mirrors with no legally binding changes.

After reviewing the White House statement, I found that no Executive Orders were issued. Keep in mind that the President cannot create domestic laws; that privilege is constitutionally delegated to Congress. The President can issue Executive Orders which are legally binding instructions to federal offices and employees, but Executive Orders still cannot change underlying laws. The President’s actions took the form of guidance documents which have no legally binding effect and are merely the Administration’s opinion of what the laws state. USA Today was one of the few publications I have seen that got the story right in its article Chastened by immigration, Obama shows restraint on guns.

The President’s guidance documents are largely just a restatement of existing laws and a wish list of actions that would need to be passed by Congress (and likely will not be). The definition of who is “enaged in the business” of firearms has not changed and is firmly established by both law and case law. Unlicensed persons are still allowed to sell firearms from their personal collection provided all Federal, state, and local laws are obeyed.

The firearm industry has long said that we do not need more guns laws; we need better enforcement of laws already on the books. Data from the Justice Department shows a sharp decline in Federal Weapons Convictions under the Obama Administration.

As we clearly state on our website, all transactions on GunBroker.com are made in full compliance with all federal state, and local laws, using licensed federal firearms dealers as transfer agents. Federal law requires those dealers to run a background check on the buyer. There is a strict compliance system in place and the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms audits dealers for compliance.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, of which GunBroker.com is a member and supporter, has issued a statement that summarizes the firearm industry’s views.

Sincerely,

Steve Urvan
CEO, GunBroker.com

I don't know if this has been posted; but I'll add it.Law Prof: ‘New ATF Guidance on Gun Sales is Legally Meaningless’http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/law-prof-new-atf-guidance-gun-sales-legally-meaningless/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=010916chronicle&utm_campaign=CH010916-lawprofnewatfguidancegunsaleslegallymeaningless

That is true, in and of itself. However, I would point out that the NFA action (41P) is binding law because it was an actual Regulation change, not just guidance. He also directed the Social Security Administration to change its regulations regarding reporting of disqualifying conditions to the FBI. Once the SSA goes through the rule publishing requirements, that would also become law.

However, those do appear to be the only binding changes in Obama's actions. All others, including the FFL guidance, are not binding.